• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    I have owned several 1911s. Have always carefully avoided, and succeeded in avoiding, the dreaded "idiot mark". I recently. acquired my nicest one yet,aSig target stainless. Took it apart, cleaned and oiled it no problems. Went and shot, came inside and cleaned it. Put it back together and slipped the pin right past "home" and up onto the slide. Owned the gun two hours and have a nice little half moon right on the slide. Arrrgh.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    That has a bead blast finish, doesn't it? Yikes! And the "idiot mark" is way up on the slide? You know, with such a nice gun, and being brand new, maybe you could look into seeing how much it would cost to have it re-blasted, depending of course on how bad the scratch really is.

Anyway, I feel your pain.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I am sick and it is not even my gun.
    Not as easy to match a finish as some think. Beads are different size's and consistency. Air pressure used makes a difference as well. Be carefull how you fix this.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I Would just leave it and live with it. It's really not that BIG of a deal.
    I think we (gun owners) are so used to seeing them, that it is almost expected. Fixing it might make it look worse. Unless you send it back to Sig, then is it really worth what you will pay to have it fixed. I'm not sure that it would really detract from it's used value, should you ever decide to sell it.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Sigs are notoriously tight. Great for the accuracy, but donkey balls to reassemble.
    Is it fairly light or kinda deep? Got pics?

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Take that as a sign to shoot the heck out of it/carry it, etc. When you later want to shine it up a bit, get the entire slide or slide and frame refinished/reblasted, and start all over again.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I personally look at firearms as machines, not jewelry. (Even though I have some fine grade guns with engravings) I try not to scratch any of them, even the Mossberg slug gun. If I so scratch one in normal use, I do not get to excited. Wear from use is not ugly to me, it just represents the machine serving it's function.

I think I have a solution. You know how some people like to "stipple" their poly frame pistols? Maybe get a gunsmith with a small burr to stipple the area where installation of the slide stop would touch. Or maybe mill an arc from the trigger guard opening all the way up so that you cannot scratch it more. Call it a tactical upgrade.

I have not checked recently, but I think all mine have "the scratch". But they all also have top grade fitted barrels and bushings, Throats and ramps shaped and polished, peened and refitted frame rails, .018" sear engagement with all trigger surfaces and pins polished, as well as trigger bow slots polished mirror smooth.

A persons pistol is their private property, and we all have the freedom to obsess about anything we want. But in the big picture, I would not lose sleep over that little scratch. You did not commit the unpardonable sin.

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    That has a bead blast finish, doesn't it? Yikes! And the "idiot mark" is way up on the slide? You know, with such a nice gun, and being brand new, maybe you could look into seeing how much it would cost to have it re-blasted,

Yeah, I couldn't put one in the normal spot underneath the lever, I had it just a fraction too far up out of the hole and slid it right past onto the slide... Checking Sigs custom shop prices they will do just the slide for like $70 bucks and the frame and slide for $110 so if I just cant get over it it won't be that big of a deal to have it redone.

S8MS-01904

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    A Carmel Roundabout
    I have owned several 1911s. Have always carefully avoided, and succeeded in avoiding, the dreaded "idiot mark". I recently. acquired my nicest one yet,aSig target stainless. Took it apart, cleaned and oiled it no problems. Went and shot, came inside and cleaned it. Put it back together and slipped the pin right past "home" and up onto the slide. Owned the gun two hours and have a nice little half moon right on the slide. Arrrgh.

Pictures or it didn't happen......

Actually, not currently a 1911 owner, must see the IDIOT marks so I know whom I'm dealing with when buying used.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    A light rub with a scotch brite green scrubby does wonders on stainless idiot marks. At least for the brushed stainless finishes anyway.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    That would make me sick. Since its practcally new I would contact Sig, maybe they will cut you a break. I have seen them fix things for free that would not fall under warrenty.

Top Bottom