• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I went down to Atterbury for my first time with a few friends today.

They had shotguns, a couple AR's, couple revolvers, various calibers of semi-auto pistols... a real arsenal between them. My meager arsenal is a 10/22 with 25 rounds through it and an brand new scope on top of it.

We started out shooting trap. First time I'd ever done that. A whole lot more fun than shooting holes in paper I thought. There was four of us and we shot two rounds of trap. I didn't keep track of how many pigeons I hit, but I felt good about hitting the ones that I did. One of the guys did 20/25, which I thought was great. One guy had an over under, another a shorter barreled pump, and the other a semi auto. I got to try em all. But dang my shoulder hurts! It's already red, and I imagine black and blue will follow.

Then down to the pistol side. I got to shoot a small S&W .38 special, Ruger .22 single action, Kimber 1911, Glock 30, a Beretta 92, and a Sig P230. I also tried my 10/22 down there, but it was sorta hard to tell how it was hitting since we were just had the targets 7yds or so away and I was standing. But it seemed pretty high and left.

Finally we went over to the 50yd rifle benches. I put over 100 rounds through that 10/22 and I swear I only hit the 8" target about 4 times... pretty horrible. The scope was so far off that I really had no clue about how to adjust it. One of my friends tried 10 rounds through it and gave up. We couldn't tell were the rounds were landing on the board or dirt or wherever. We ran out of time so we couldn't go to a shorter distance to try to figure out what was going on. So I left feeling pretty annoyed.

I did get to put 20 rounds through one of the AR's and my target came out pretty good.. for someone shooting an AR for the first time, and using iron sights.

Overall, a pretty good day!

Here I am missing a clay pigeon:
    qsm5ia.jpg

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Yea I got to shoot a dozen guns! My shoulder is sore and red this morning. And my arms have some sunburn. But I had fun blasting stuff.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Do the trap a few times and your shoulder will toughen up. It's also possible had the gun in the wrong location. But, who cares? Sounds like you had a good day. BTW, I did some trap down there last year for the first time-I completely understand. Now you need to go to IGC and try Sporting Clays which I thought was even more fun.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Yea it is a nice facility for sure. Didn't have has much time on the pistols and rifles as I would have liked. I will need to try to get out to ECPR to try zeroing the rifle at shorter distances. And try out IGC at some point since it is right down the street.

Blackout

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Finally we went over to the 50yd rifle benches. I putover 100 rounds through that 10/22 and I swear I only hit the 8" targetabout 4 times... pretty horrible. The scope was so far off that I really had noclue about how to adjust it. One of my friends tried 10 rounds through it andgave up. We couldn't tell were the rounds were landing on the board or dirt orwherever. We ran out of time so we couldn't go to a shorter distance to try tofigure out what was going on. So I left feeling pretty annoyed.

Any new scope needs to be sighted in. I recommend a bore sighter. It wont be dead on by any means but it will get you on paper. From there, I would start by doing 3 shots( 3 shots gives you a average to go by), see where you are landing, adjust your scope a little. Repeat until you are zeroed. I do all my guns this way and it has never did me wrong. I also recommend reactive targets,that way you can see exactly what/where your hitting and a spotting scope so you can see what’s going on down range.

Once you get those few things and your rifle zeroed, its a blast. Trust me,there isnt anything more frustrating than a rifle that cant hit paper.

I think Atterbury is a nice complex for sure. Sounds like you had a great time with some great friends. I did the same thing with some buddies from work,it was a blast! I hope the tips I gave helps. Happy shooting. Blackout

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    Yea it is a nice facility for sure. Didn't have has much time on the pistols and rifles as I would have liked. I will need to try to get out to ECPR to try zeroing the rifle at shorter distances. And try out IGC at some point since it is right down the street.
    You can shoot any rimfire rifle on the pistol range at Atterbury. Your choice 7, 15, or 25yds. If you are there on the weekend just look me up..We should be able to get it zeroed in 5 minutes or so.

eatdessertfirst

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Yep. nuthin more fun than friends n guns. shooting other guns is a blessing.
    U get to know what u may want for ur next firearm. dial in that 10/22!

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    It will be a few more weeks before I get out to ECPR. Just look for a big guy trying to shoot a little rifle from 7 yards :)

We did handguns a few months ago at Indy Trading Post, so this was my second time shooting the Glock 30. I've also shot a Glock 26 elsewhere. I think I do like those baby Glocks; they're on a short list of how I want to expand my arsenal.

The single action .22 was a fun gun. A pain to load, but fun. The problem with shooting all those guns is I wanna buy a bunch myself!

Top Bottom