• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Was up in NW Indiana over the weekend for the holidays. Made a quick run over to Kempf to check it out. Needed a few things and had read about them on here before.

I was shocked at what they had on the shelf for bullets, brass, Lee Parts, etc. Great place. Some prices good...some not great...but none over the top I didn't think. I didn't look at Guns really or primers(behind the counter)...but still spent 200 on different bits for reloading.

One of those stores I'm glad isn't close as I'd run there way too often! I've never spent a whole lot of time in Profire...so can't compare too much for what they have available..but man, I was a kid in a candy store!

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Kempf's is a good store , just be glad the ole man doesn't run it anymore, He could be a real ass.

I was reading on some of those internet review sites like yelp or whatever that the guy was a jerk. Older guy walked in as I was checking out...but never said anything.

Regardless, was very impressed with everything they had on the shelf.

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    His daughter had his same charming personality, I have not stepped foot inside his place for 15 years but saw them at a few gunshows on occasion,I walked on by

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    It seems like they need to get to know you. I have bought a lot of guns and reloading supplies over the 3-4 years. Things have changed.

Attitude seem to be a issue at a lot of gun shops. Not just there. :(

rxer

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 5, 2014
    Crown Point
    I'd have to agree, the first time there isn't the warmest welcome you'll get. Once you're there a few times, they warm up to you and you feel comfortable. I'd always look for Sue and hope she was there when I went.

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    The first time my wife and I stepped in that shop was the last. They acted like we weren't important and that turned us off. On the way out I told them I would rather spend twice the money at Cabelas then give them a dime of our money. Thumbs down for us at Kempfs!

Voldemort

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 4, 2014
    Indiana
    The first time my wife and I stepped in that shop was the last. They acted like we weren't important and that turned us off. On the way out I told them I would rather spend twice the money at Cabelas then give them a dime of our money. Thumbs down for us at Kempfs!
    +1+1+1+1 I cant believe anybody would go there second time. No reason why a business owner should have to "warm up to" their client$.

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    Kempf's is a good store , just be glad the ole man doesn't run it anymore, He could be a real ass.
    That ass of man shook my hand 3 decades ago, kindly offered to help me and spent an entire day of his time hands on in his shop teaching me the basics of safety and proper loading procedures. It's a shame the people that denigrate him so often never got to know him better. He did more for the shooting and sporting community in Northern IN than anyone else I've observed as the years came and went.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    He
    That ass of man shook my hand 3 decades ago, kindly offered to help me and spent an entire day of his time hands on in his shop teaching me the basics of safety and proper loading procedures. It's a shame the people that denigrate him so often never got to know him better. He did more for the shooting and sporting community in Northern IN than anyone else I've observed as the years came and went.

I've been going to Kempf's for 22 yrs.and that man was always kind of an ass. He would do one of two things every time we went in, flat out ignore you or if you asked a question he'd act like you were an idiot for not knowing.
    I'm glad he took the time to help you out, but that was not the experience I or anyone that I know ever had with him

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I've never had issues with questions though I do get that feeling of uneasiness if I'm just browsing.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Ive stopped in there several times. The daughter is okay to me, the old man is an ass, and thats being polite. That said, I don't know what kind of drug deal they have with powder and bullet makers, but the shop does keep a decent stock.

Voldemort

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 4, 2014
    Indiana
    He

I've been going to Kempf's for 22 yrs.and that man was always kind of an ass. He would do one of two things every time we went in, flat out ignore you or if you asked a question he'd act like you were an idiot for not knowing.
    I'm glad he took the time to help you out, but that was not the experience I or anyone that I know ever had with him

My experience exactly

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana

I don't think they denigrate him. I think they are being square with every one. I have been going there on and off for about 30 years myself. They old man would not say a word and followed me around with his eyes like I am going to rob the place. I am not the sharpest dresser but what the heck. Being an ass, well that seems to be the best description I would come up with. I just put it as his style. I have probably been there 50 times over the years. Pretty much the same except for Sue. She is nice and easy to talk too. I am glad that he has been around so long and happy they are still in business. Just think he would have done better if he was more friendly.

Top Bottom