• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Two weeks ago I took the NRA Basic Pistol class at MCFG with INGO'er goColt and I learned A LOT. I was sorta on the fence about buying a handgun, but the class gave me the confidence I needed.

Earlier this week I ordered a gun from KyGunCo and it was ready to be picked up this morning. I went to Gander Mountain to get a cleaning kit, stopped by Staples to get my LTCH laminated, then went to pick up the gun from Richard's Guns.

Then it was off to ECPR with a box of Tulammo and a box of Federal Champion from Wal-Mart. I got the safety briefing, waited a few minutes for a lane, then started shooting.

I was wide right on probably 75 of 100 shots - hitting the paper, but missing the rings of the targets. I'd get one or two on target, and then go way off to the right for some reason. I'm left handed and right eye dominant, so I also spent most of the time try to get comfortable with that. I tried right eyed, left eyed, and right handed. Most of the time was spent shooting with both eyes open but aiming with my left eye. One of the range officers thought maybe I had too much grip on the support hand and was pulling the gun right.

Two things I would have liked to have been different - a less busy day and having an all day pass. So part of the pressure was in my head (people waiting), but I also just had an hour there and I wanted to get rounds down range. I would have liked to have been able to shoot 5 or 10 rounds one style and evaluate how I did. But, just getting the experience of firing the gun was good for me and I feel encouraged to go back and get more practice.

I bought the XD after only having held it at the last 1500 for a few seconds, but it feels fine in my hands - not that I have my handgun experience to go on. Just wish it weren't winter so that I'd have more good days to go practice.
    :rockwoot::ingo:

scatwater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    North East Indiana
    I have the same issue that you do and I find rifles much easier to shoot. I bought a gsg 1911 .22 to get some of the issues worked out. (.22 being cheaper to shoot) I did find that if I took my time and used my left hand and concentrated I could hit what I wanted to I was using the magpul taught grip out of there video series. Very much worth watching. They explain what happens with different grips. plus you can do a lot of grip and magazine practice in the basement or garge and not have you cost anything. Good luck and enjoy your new tool.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Congrats! Is this your first gun period, or first handgun? What caliber XD did you get? Keep at it, and I'm sure you'll figure out what works best for you. :)

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Oh, sorry, I guess I edited that part out. It's an XD 9mm 4" Service model; first gun I've ever owned aside from BB guns as a kid. I opted for the 9mm over the .40 mainly because the ammo is cheaper so I could afford to practice more.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Oh, sorry, I guess I edited that part out. It's an XD 9mm 4" Service model; first gun I've ever owned aside from BB guns as a kid. I opted for the 9mm over the .40 mainly because the ammo is cheaper so I could afford to practice more.
    I'd say you made a good choice, especially from the practice standpoint. I looked at XD's in .45, but found the M&P more comfortable for me. Handguns are a personal thing though!

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    My XD9 4" was my first pistol as well. I love it and have learned to shoot it well. Problem is I actually aim to the right of the bullseye to hit it now. Maybe I should get some formal training too! (if only the schedule allows). You should have nothing but good experiences with it.

The 1500 show in January will have good prices on ammo. I think I paid $200 for 1000 rounds of PMC 9mm, brass case. Clean, and the XD shoots it very well. I am right handed and left eye dominant. Get lots of advice and try what works for you.

I have expanded to the XD9SC and actually shoot it better than the 4". Must be my girl hands.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Congrats on the first pistol, Springfield make a nice gun! Just keep up the practice.

Close but no cigar... Springfield does not make a single part of the XD line of pistols. They are manufactured completely by HS Produkt in Karlovac, Croatia. They are simply HS2000 pistols that are marketed in the US by Springfield Armory, under the XD name.

OP: Congrats on your new pistola!

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Been saying it for years.

Your choice of firearms will change based on the hours you have. The only way to know what you need is to find out via education.

Oh, there's no way I would have bought a pistol without taking that class! I'd watch a movie and see the slide locked back and wonder how that happens. (not applicable to this gun but) Once the hammer is cocked, how do you safely get it down? There were just a ton of "simple" questions that I needed shown to me to learn. I needed that foundation.

FWIW, I got my LTCH a year ago, and it's taken me this long of thinking to get on with things!

The 1500 show in January will have good prices on ammo. I think I paid $200 for 1000 rounds of PMC 9mm, brass case. Clean, and the XD shoots it very well. I am right handed and left eye dominant. Get lots of advice and try what works for you.

I have expanded to the XD9SC and actually shoot it better than the 4". Must be my girl hands.

Not bad. That Tulammo stuff was messy. I had crap all over my hands when I finished that box. The Federal Champion didn't seem as bad. It was just under $11 for 50 at Wally World. I'll be happy to continue buying that.

I shot a Glock 26 last weekend and I think that subcompact size is too small for my bear paws, which is what made me go for the larger size XD. I'm not worried about carrying right now, at least not until I can hit the broad side of a barn reliably.

Close but no cigar... Springfield does not make a single part of the XD line of pistols. They are manufactured completely by HS Produkt in Karlovac, Croatia. They are simply HS2000 pistols that are marketed in the US by Springfield Armory, under the XD name.

Yea, I was aware. But... Croatia.. Austria.. to me it was like worrying about whether something was made in Kentucky or Georgia.

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Sounds like you've made well thought out choices, and you're open to learning. Kudos to you.

Once you become even more comfortable, might I suggest some defensive handgun training courses? There are some solid site sponsors here (Aron Bright and ACT comes to mind) who have classes which have plenty to offer new and experienced shooters.

Also, you might look into joining a club. I'm a member at Atlanta Conservation Club (I live in Fishers as well), and you're able to practice things which are prohibited at most normal ranges with set lanes...like drawing from a holster, shooting on the move, shooting around cover/concealment, etc...

Good luck!

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Once you become even more comfortable, might I suggest some defensive handgun training courses? There are some solid site sponsors here (Aron Bright and ACT comes to mind) who have classes which have plenty to offer new and experienced shooters.

goColt / Chris talked to me about the NRA's Personal Protection Inside the Home course that he may teach next spring and I thought that sounded interesting. Training is definitely on my list. This is an expensive hobby!

Also, you might look into joining a club. I'm a member at Atlanta Conservation Club (I live in Fishers as well), and you're able to practice things which are prohibited at most normal ranges with set lanes...like drawing from a holster, shooting on the move, shooting around cover/concealment, etc...

Also on my list! How's the drive to ACC? The overhead shots on Google Maps sure look impressive.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Thanks for sharing your experience about your firsts! I wish I had made such good choices.

No doubt. I wish the internet had been around and loaded with such abundant info when I first started out. My brother and I had to learn some lessons the hard way as our dad was not into shooting at all, and sources of real world info were few and far between.

Sounds like he really made some good choices so far!

Top Bottom