• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyoshi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Noblesville
    So last year was my first year... I started with a bow and sure enough on the first day I went I had a shot a a really nice ten pointer.... I kept thinking...only 30 feet...only 30 feet... so what did I do? I drew my bow on the 30 yard pin! needless to say I shot right over his back...but he just stood there like captain morgan waiting for another shot... too bad I wasnt able to take it...

then yesterday I am sitting in my tree stand and have a perfect broad side shot at a nice doe only 15 yards away... I was DEFINITELY jittery, but tried keeping my calm. I was in the stand for about an hour and a half when she walked by at 50+ yards and I called her in with a doe bleat "the can"... I guess there is always a lesson to be learned.. I was kind of cold (36 degrees outside) and I sat super still in the stand... so I go to take the shot...and what?!?!? I couldnt draw my bow! my muscles were too cold.. I didnt stretch...and sitting very very still kept me a bit cramped... so thats two so far ive missed on stupidity..

when am I going to catch a break?

question: what calls do you use, and how often do you grunt, bleat, whatever?
    :n00b:

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    So last year was my first year... I started with a bow and sure enough on the first day I went I had a shot a a really nice ten pointer.... I kept thinking...only 30 feet...only 30 feet... so what did I do? I drew my bow on the 30 yard pin! needless to say I shot right over his back...but he just stood there like captain morgan waiting for another shot... too bad I wasnt able to take it...

then yesterday I am sitting in my tree stand and have a perfect broad side shot at a nice doe only 15 yards away... I was DEFINITELY jittery, but tried keeping my calm. I was in the stand for about an hour and a half when she walked by at 50+ yards and I called her in with a doe bleat "the can"... I guess there is always a lesson to be learned.. I was kind of cold (36 degrees outside) and I sat super still in the stand... so I go to take the shot...and what?!?!? I couldnt draw my bow! my muscles were too cold.. I didnt stretch...and sitting very very still kept me a bit cramped... so thats two so far ive missed on stupidity..

Deer have the advantage. It's not about catching a break it's about making the best of the given opportunity. The main thing is don't get discouraged. Deer hunting, especially with bow, takes a lot of patience. Keep your chin up, dust yourself off and get back in the stand. I grunt every 15-20 min during the rut. Alternating doe bleats and buck grunts. You haven't messed up on stupidity just a lack of experience. Don't worry one of these days you're going to finish it and you'll think after you release your arrow and see it hit..."wow, that was easier then I thought." Then the real work starts once you have them down...that's when you want a break. Good luck and don't give up.

indyoshi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Noblesville
    Thanks for the info and encouragement. I definitely dont plan to give up. Ill be back in my stand this weekend waiting for another... I dont care if its big, small, doe, buck... I just want to shoot one and filly my freezer... my cousin and I got a DVD field to table and we are going to process it ourselves too... got a new knife set and meat grinder just waiting to be used :)

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I know people who've deer hunted with bows, muzzleloaders and shotguns for years who've never taken a deer. Just gotta keep plugging at it.

Took my first doe last year during late ML, will try again this season during shotgun.

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    I started hunting in '03 and didn't get my first kill until '07. I only went 1 or 2 times in '03 with no shots fired, missed 2 deer in '04, don't recall the '05 season and didn't take a single shot during the '06 season either. I got back into archery in '08 after a 10 year hiatus from shooting bow and took one in early November. I was stoked.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    thats why its called hunting not killing. you will eventually connect. little things will always happen.

i was turkey hunting once and started sighting in on a bird and had a bumble bee land right square between my beads. i eventually got him blown off wile trying not to move but that kind on thing happens

captpaul

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Indy
    The unsuccessful hunts make harvesting a deer that much sweeter. You might want to turn your poundage back if you can't pull your bow after sitting for awhile. I started shooting 50 lbs., went all the way to 72 lbs. over a couple years, now I am back to 62 and have plenty of energy for a complete pass through.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    You are learning!
    I've been a rabid bowhunter for 30+ years and made all those mistakes and more.
    What poundage you shooting?
    Keep after it...learn from your mistakes, and you will connect.

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    CaptPaul has the right idea. Exactly how I do is this....All summer long I practice with max weight. Early to mid Sept I tune my bow down 1-2 turns. If you try it, you will be amazed how easy it is to draw your bow smoothly and slowly.

Oshi, hind sight is always 20/20 but experience is the best teacher. If your getting close to the deer thats a big part of it. Everything will come together for you one of these day.

indyoshi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Noblesville
    Thanks for all the tips... Last year I had it set to 64 pounds and over the summer I shot it quite a bit and raised it to 70lbs... I never had a problem with it... in fact this season I went out and one afternoon just before climbing down from my stand I knocked a field tip and drew it to see how accurately I could guage distance and take a shot at a twig on the ground about 30 yards away.. drew just fine and was within about 4" of my target... of course it was a bit warmer then. I think its time to back it off down to 60-65 lbs again to make sure I am extremely comfotable with it and that this problem doesnt happen again.

On another note... I got the bow used, and I am not 100% that the bolts to adjust the poundage are exactly even... should I screw them all the way in to the max and then back it off evenly to make sure they are even? is that the best way to do it?

Also... I have a 20-30-40 and 50 yard pin... of course I really dont feel comfortable taking a shot over 30-35 yards, so I am thinking of removing the 50 yard pin... just so there is no temptation to take that long of a shot..

Freom 70-60 pound how much difference can I expect when re-sighting? Shouldnt the 20 be fairly similar, but the longer shots need more adjusting?

AF92venger

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    NE of Indy, but not too far!
    So, since you havent been hunting all that long? Its pretty darn addicting huh>?? I love it!! If I could be in the woods ever single day...I for sure would. I havent read all of these before me, but I did read about how you miss that 10pt. Like the other guy said, you time will come. Just get back up in the woods. Good Luck

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008

Wow! You been hunting that long? A whole year and another month or two and all that pain, suffering and waiting, disappointment left and right.

I don't know, I'd just give up if I were you after going through all that. Take up golf or something.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Thanks for all the tips... Last year I had it set to 64 pounds and over the summer I shot it quite a bit and raised it to 70lbs... I never had a problem with it... in fact this season I went out and one afternoon just before climbing down from my stand I knocked a field tip and drew it to see how accurately I could guage distance and take a shot at a twig on the ground about 30 yards away.. drew just fine and was within about 4" of my target... of course it was a bit warmer then. I think its time to back it off down to 60-65 lbs again to make sure I am extremely comfotable with it and that this problem doesnt happen again.

On another note... I got the bow used, and I am not 100% that the bolts to adjust the poundage are exactly even... should I screw them all the way in to the max and then back it off evenly to make sure they are even? is that the best way to do it?

Also... I have a 20-30-40 and 50 yard pin... of course I really dont feel comfortable taking a shot over 30-35 yards, so I am thinking of removing the 50 yard pin... just so there is no temptation to take that long of a shot..

Freom 70-60 pound how much difference can I expect when re-sighting? Shouldnt the 20 be fairly similar, but the longer shots need more adjusting?

Hey Yoshi - This is my first year bow hunting. I wanted to comment on your questions as I just got a new bow after shooting an older 1996 era bow. You should def set your weight back to its peak all the way to its heaviest. According to the guys at Outdoorsman sport shop and my manual, that is the only way to make sure your Tiller setting is equal. Basically the distance from the string to the limb on the top and bottom. It can throw off the accuracy if they are not equal. What I do is paint a think line at 12oclock with white out and do my counter clockwise adjustments so I can see them equal.

I think you will be surprised that you wont be too far out of adjustment with your sights. I have 5 pins myself and only use 3. I just moved the last two all the way down in the sight so I don't misplace them by accident.

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    Statistics for new bowhunters is that it takes on average 3 years to take their first deer. You've still way in front of the curve. Enjoy your time in the woods. As for using calls and how, the best way is through experience. If you have decent deer activity around your stand, just sit and observe and listen to them when they're undisturbed. That to me beats listening to all the "experts" on TV telling you how you ought to hunt deer.

Top Bottom