• ...and so much more!
  • Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    I shot my first USPSA match this weekend and here is what I learned:

1) It is a lot of fun, no really a lot of fun.
    2) It is harder than it looks.
    3) Everyone was nice, no one pointed and laughed at the noob.
    4) Add a box or two to the round court.
    5) Leave the house early for better parking.
    6) Pie and coffee in a local restaurant beforehand starts the day right.
    7) Pack plenty of water and a sandwich.
    8) Even when I think that I am moving fast, I am slow.
    9) Some of those old farts are really good at this.
    10) You can't miss fast enough to win. Get your hits.
    11) If you do anything different than everyone else, tell the RO your plan. He is running right behind you and can't read your mind.
    12) Plan your steps and reloads, rehearse it in your mind.
    13) Steel targets can force an unplanned reload.
    14) My feet don't always end up where my brain saw them going.
    15) Have backup ammunition and a backup gun just in case.
    16) It is hard to remember everything in the heat of the moment. Don't forget your fundamentals.
    17) Hat and sunblock will be required this summer. My face got a little red.
    18) Wear comfortable clothes, you will be moving around a lot for a couple hours.
    19) Calling out scores is a spoken language with grammar and syntax. Two hits in the same zone is Two Alpha not Alpha-Alpha. Say the higher scoring hit first: Alpha-Charlie not Charlie-Alpha. Scores are Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Mike.
    20) An Alpha-Charlie or Alpha-Mike means I am not minding the fundamentals on my 2nd shot.
    21) Classifiers are really fast. Guys were shooting two shots in the time I shot one. It only counts if you get your hits though.

Did I mention it was a lot of fun?

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Congrats. I shot my first match last year and am now addicted. It only gets better and ur right that even though it feels fast, everything is slow in the beginning. Just have fun with it and don't get discouraged. See u on the range.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Im going to be a noob at it this year and shoot a few USPSA matches? I think I wanna go watch a match first to get a better understanding of how everything works out. What Division did you shoot it?

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Im going to be a noob at it this year and shoot a few USPSA matches? I think I wanna go watch a match first to get a better understanding of how everything works out. What Division did you shoot it?

I shot in Production division (Glock 34, 9mm, mags loaded to only 10 rounds each).

The squads are not necessarily grouped by Division (or Classification). Someone in your squad might finish the stage 15 seconds faster than you but they also might be a Master using an Open gun so don't worry if your times are slower than some of the other people in your squad.

I thought about watching an event first before I participated because I really need to "see" physical actions (sports) a few times before I can perform them. It wasn't an issue though. I shot second in the line-up and wasn't too lost. It might have been better if I had been a few shooters farther down the line-up but it worked out.

I took some training classes and private lessons to reduce my learning curve. Aron Bright, Steve Griffin and Max Bedwell were all helpful to me (although they might want to disassociate themselves after my scores are posted). I would have been much worse if I hadn't spent a little time with each of them.

Come on in, the water is fine.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Welcome to the party. You will get your feet on the ground and blend right in with the crowd soon enough. If folks are on the fence about trying this don't be. If you can be safe you will be welcome.

Top Bottom