• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    On my way up to Young's Longshot Range, I drive by a channel on Adams Lake that looks like a good crappie spot. Saturday on my way home from the range I stopped and talked to a fellow who was fishing there. He said the crappie were starting to move in.

Sunday, I tossed a couple poles and my jig box in the back when I headed up to the range. It was raining hard enough that I had my wipers on so I decided to stop and check out the channel. I spent about 10 minutes tossing a small jig and then slipped on a bobber and tipped the jig with a minnow. My first cast resulted in a fair sized crappie. I ended up with 8 crappie, a bluegill and a decent bass. I lost about a 4 lb bass when he straightened out the thin wire hook on my crappie jig. One crappie was huge and the bluegill was big enough to inhale a crappie minnow.

By now, the sun had come out and the rain stopped. I drove on up to the range and shot for about an hour but I couldn't quit thinking about the fishing. I headed home and cleaned the fish. Today I'm having crappie, bluegill and bass fillets breaded with cornmeal and flour and deep fried in 50/50 peanut oil and vegetable oil. I slap the fillets on a piece of bread and butter. Some pork and beans seem to go well with the fillets and some amber liquid helps the digestion process.

Now my brain hurts. I want to go shoot but the crappie are in the channels. I can shoot any time, but the crappie are only in the channels for a few weeks. I guess I'll wait until after I've had my hot, crispy fillets to decide if my next trip will be dedicated to fishing or shooting. I know I can do both on the same trip, but it is had to get a good cheek weld when you are thinking about fishing and drooling all over the stock.

The next thing I have to worry about is morels. I like fresh morels fried in butter even more than crappie fillets. Now my head is really hurting....

Decisions, decisions.....

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    From parks and rec. (when Ron was hiding from Tammy 1 at his BOL)

Ron: Do you want to go fishing or hunting for lunch?
    Leslie: I just want to shoot something.
    Ron: Fishing it is.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    How about shooting fish?

I thought about that but this is a DNR Public Access sight and in a heavily populated area. I like my guns, vehicle and freedom. It would have been nice to use my 1911-22 with the Tac-65 suppressor to subdue that bass that straightened my hook, though.

I would have looked like them good old boys on Swamp People shootin gators.

sbsg2005

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    Man I guess this is were I get lucky, I shoot 100 feet away from where I fish, and the woods behind the pond are always good for a pound of morels a day during the spring. If I was in you situation I would hunt morels in the morning, shoot during the day, and go fishing that evening. All three make a for a good day. At least it did today.

upacreekk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Take an air gun with you

They are quiet and fun to shoot on the water -- There are always objects floating around. All you have to worry about is the backstop :)

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    heh, our gun club in Freetown has a pond. Went to shoot the new Glock 34 and also found this guy:

522649_10150673373783528_681323527_9530537_590910915_n.jpg

Top Bottom