• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Customsafeguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    Cleburne Tx
    I've been catching a lot of fish in the fall and have been stocking up in the freezer. I decided to sell some on Craigslist for 7.50 a bag that a good price cost more than that to get them. These fish where sandies and bass. I had a reply by text message they needed enough fish to feed 20 I said I would have enough. We agreed to meet on Saturday at 1:00 to my surprise the game warden showed up that was not what I expected. Need less to say I don't have any fish and got a ticket. I didn't know that was illegal to advertize to sell scaled fish in illegal. Needless to say I don't have any fish and my money isn't right. :(

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    I've been catching a lot of fish in the fall and have been stocking up in the freezer. I decided to sell some on Craigslist for 7.50 a bag that a good price cost more than that to get them. These fish where sandies and bass. I had a reply by text message they needed enough fish to feed 20 I said I would have enough. We agreed to meet on Saturday at 1:00 to my surprise the game warden showed up that was not what I expected. Need less to say I don't have any fish and got a ticket. I didn't know that was illegal to advertize to sell scaled fish in illegal. Needless to say I don't have any fish and my money isn't right. :(

:popcorn:

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana

very few things you harvest from the wild may be sold.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Well, you should at least be able to take comfort and sleep sound knowing that Texas is apparently devoid of of such personages as murders, burglars, rapists, and so forth.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    That's a tad harsh. It seems like he wanted some extra $$, had a product to sell, and tried to sell it. I learned something from his story at least.

How is that harsh? Any sportsman reads and understands the rules. What he did is illegal plain and simple. He's whinning to me via pm as well.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    How is that harsh? Any sportsman reads and understands the rules. What he did is illegal plain and simple. He's whinning to me via pm as well.

He's not disputing it's illegal. He clearly learned that. Who knows how much of a "sportsman" he is. It's harsh to jump on someone who posted his error on our forum. It educated me, a non-sportsman.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

Are we to understand that you have never been mistaken in your life, and that this life-long perfection is the platform from which you stand in judgment over someone who got burned over what he didn't know?

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Are we to understand that you have never been mistaken in your life, and that this life-long perfection is the platform from which you stand in judgment over someone who got burned over what he didn't know?

Ignorance of the law is no excuse. I don't understand what the point of the op is. If he is trying to enlighten us then fine. Sounded to me like he was boasting about it.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I guess I know what side of the fence I am on....

HOW ON EARTH does a person that has a fishing license not get a FREE copy of the fishing/hunting relations for his/her state? At a min. you would need to see what fish/size/season are legal and you would think "you" would come across the section where it blatantly states it is illegal to sell, barter or trade fish and wild game. :n00b:

He got exactly what he deserved. :popcorn:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Ignorance of the law is no excuse. I don't understand what the point of the op is. If he is trying to enlighten us then fine. Sounded to me like he was boasting about it.

Starting that 'ignorance of the law' business with me is not a good way to encourage a polite discussion. If no single professional lawyer can manage the law it is clearly unreasonable to expect any layman to be responsible for doing so. Following that we have specialized bureaucrats and agents of law enforcement who run the rest of us up by specializing in one small part of the law. These people, both writing the laws, and worse yet, arbitrary regulations which can be enacted or modified at any time by a bureaucrat at the stroke of a pen and those who specialize in ambush enforcement should at the very least never hold any public position again, ever.

Last edited:

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Starting that 'ignorance of the law' business with me is not a good way to encourage a polite discussion. If no single professional lawyer can manage the law it is clearly unreasonable to expect any lawman to be responsible for doing so. Following that we have specialized bureaucrats and agents of law enforcement who run the rest of us up by specializing in one small part of the law. These people, both writing the laws, and worse yet, arbitrary regulations which can be enacted or modified at any time by a bureaucrat at the stroke of a pen and those who specialize in ambush enforcement should at the very least never hold any public position again, ever.
    While i do agree generally with your position. The mere fact the OP should have obtained a Hunting/Fishing regs pamphlet JUST to know what fish species were legal, how many per day and seasons(trout, etc.) and during that reading THAT SHOULD have taken place they would have come across the law regarding sell,trade, barter of fish.
    If they bought a fishing license...the DNR Regs FREE COPY would normally be less than 6-8ft from them at any given counter that sells said licenses.

Curious to know if the OP even had a fishing license. Where I grew up, if you made a statement to any given friend or coworker that started with "I didnt know it was illegal to sell fish that i caught in the river/lake", they would look at you like you were either (a) on drugs (b)Dumber than owl poo poo.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    It didn't sound like a boast to me. I took it as a guy who wanted to share a strange occurance with INGO. He seemed upset by it. Why would he boast about money being tight and then getting a ticket?

I have an Indiana fishing license and haven't read their regulations. If a guy offered me $5 for a bass I just caught I would say yes (before I read this post at least).

Top Bottom