• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I bass fish from shore. Usually carry 3 rods and a large tackle bag that holds 6 or so Plano 3700 sized boxes plus additional gear.

My back is not going to handle that size of bag and I likely don't need to take it out every trip. I'm looking for suggestions for a sling type bag that would carry a couple of Plano 3700 series boxes and some other small gear (pliers, etc). Difficult when local places like Academy and Sportsman's don't have much like this in stock to check out in person.

Anyone have suggestions, recommendations and best yet first hand experience with something like this?

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I bass fish from shore. Usually carry 3 rods and a large tackle bag that holds 6 or so Plano 3700 sized boxes plus additional gear.

My back is not going to handle that size of bag and I likely don't need to take it out every trip. I'm looking for suggestions for a sling type bag that would carry a couple of Plano 3700 series boxes and some other small gear (pliers, etc). Difficult when local places like Academy and Sportsman's don't have much like this in stock to check out in person.

Anyone have suggestions, recommendations and best yet first hand experience with something like this?
    Not sure where you are located but Cabela's/ Bass Pro has a large in store inventory of options. I just changed from an old school tackle box with trays to a bag with the 3700 sized boxes. Looking online sucked but was almost overwhelmed with options when I went to Cabela's.
    I was however looking kinda hard at a bag I saw on Amazon that was able to be a backpack but also had a two wheel dolly it attached to and even had a drink or bait cooler built into the top. But, I chose to go a different route since I couldn't see it in person first.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Not sure where you are located but Cabela's/ Bass Pro has a large in store inventory of options. I just changed from an old school tackle box with trays to a bag with the 3700 sized boxes. Looking online sucked but was almost overwhelmed with options when I went to Cabela's.
    I was however looking kinda hard at a bag I saw on Amazon that was able to be a backpack but also had a two wheel dolly it attached to and even had a drink or bait cooler built into the top. But, I chose to go a different route since I couldn't see it in person first.
    Agreed, that's been the issue.

It's a little bit of a hike to Cabelas, but I'll probably look to head that way this weekend as that's what I remember from last time I was there (good selection of bags). I'm looking for lightweight but with capability to hold the 3700 sized boxes which I know are larger, but just a couple along with some other required items.

3700's are the size I already have and I have some from Flambeau that allow for almost infinite sizing options for spaces because they have a system of grooves that are continuous and allow lots of adjustment options. Haven't been able to find these same boxes when I have looked.

Thanks for the guidance.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Ended up with one of these. I got the one that can handle 3700 size boxes. It doesn't have all the pockets and storage pockets I might want, but it will for me to decide what I need to carry for most of my shore fishing (if we're headed out on a boat with someone I'd bring my normal large bag).

Once I get used to traveling light I may pick up a fishing backpack that will have some better ways to clip pliers, etc on the outside while being retained. I just didn't want to fall into the trap of feeling I need to tote everything under the sun.

96616XL__38704.1666062448.1280.1280.jpg

I also picked up some Plano Edge boxes as well (enough to fit the gear I'll be carrying and some additional to store additional gear I have) IMG_0231.jpeg

Last edited:

canebreaker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    The auction house had Plano Options tackle bags with 4 3400 boxes. $13 at an auction or $7.50 taking 5 at a dealer's auction. Since the bag is black with white, light pink and dark pink dots, boxes have lavender latches I got them for the girls in my family.

2010, MidwayUSA had a clearance sales, check one day and prices were cheap, another day they were high. One morning 3400's were $1.69, 3700's were $1.79. In the photo I could see the center of the lid was scuffed. I got 20 of each. Every one of them had a blem in the left rear corner of the lid. The scuffed spot was removing Cabelas and BPS emblem.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    The auction house had Plano Options tackle bags with 4 3400 boxes. $13 at an auction or $7.50 taking 5 at a dealer's auction. Since the bag is black with white, light pink and dark pink dots, boxes have lavender latches I got them for the girls in my family.

2010, MidwayUSA had a clearance sales, check one day and prices were cheap, another day they were high. One morning 3400's were $1.69, 3700's were $1.79. In the photo I could see the center of the lid was scuffed. I got 20 of each. Every one of them had a blem in the left rear corner of the lid. The scuffed spot was removing Cabelas and BPS emblem.
    I've had my flambeau infinite divider system boxes I've been using for probably 20+ years. I finally ran across some new IDS boxes recently at Sportsman's and they just weren't the same quality.

These Plano Edge boxes are expensive (but I got them on sale and tagged on a coupon) but them seem to be pretty nice. We'll see when I get to using them.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I've always gone catfishing and have occasionally done some blue gill fishing. I've never gone crappie fishing before. What do y'all prefer for bait when crappie fishing?

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I've always gone catfishing and have occasionally done some blue gill fishing. I've never gone crappie fishing before. What do y'all prefer for bait when crappie fishing?
    Minnows under a slip bobber, small spinners like a Rooster Tail cast over weeds, a small jig with a behemoth or two jigged under the boat or in an around holes in the weeds. This all in spring.
    Later, I look for schools of them in open water and jig them up. If you find a school, be on the nearest weed edge right at dark. They will head there to feed.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    IMG_3770.jpeg Home from a funeral and out to pier about 4 yesterday. Bunches of gills hugged tight to shore but moving around and easily spooked. Spooked or slight wind shifts would shut them off. Wife came out and fished for a little while. Didn’t count ‘em but probably kept about 30.She wanted a pic to send as proof to sister in KS.

Got home 11:15 today from another funeral. Ran out quick with baited pole. Cast and boom a nice gill. Went back, gathered up gear, went back and wind switch…nothing.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    Monday had 4 keeper gills. Tuesday caught 1. Wind was a killer

Yesterday was real good for about 3 hours. Kept/cleaned 25 8-10” gills and red ears.

IMG_3792.jpeg IMG_3793.jpeg
    Looking at forecast appears like Sunday will be my next chance for good fishing here. Then with the temps next week I expect them to be gone from my area to spawn.

Top Bottom