• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    I just discovered the DNR's public water access map that has fishing information on it but I don't know much about those spots. Can anyone suggest a relatively easy spot to get to for off the shore fishing? I'm not looking to steal anyone's honey hole but just something to catch and keep a few legal fish in unpolluted waters.

Last edited:

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Nothing? Anything in surrounding counties would be perfect. Driving to Monroe Lake for one day of fishing just isn't worth it. I usually sleep in my car for a two day trip.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    You did state Good water Quality, Good luck.

Try Eagle creek water quality is not great but better than average. I have caught a couple of walleyes that were keeper size and some stripers that were a nice little change of pace from my usual fishing. Fishing can be slow.

North of broadripple on the White is OK. Bank fishiing places are hard to find. Small mouths that they stocked after Guide Lamp in anderson killed every fish iin the river are now very nice size. Much better in a canoe. Penkinsville where the road crosses the white river is a nice little area. before 9-11 you could get into the tailwaters of eagle creek but that is no more.

About the only places I know of are PRIVATE LAKES. There is a real nice one I fish at near Keystone crossing on the north side. I have 3 friends with condos on the lake.

That said if you want catfish to catch and release then about any bridge over the White river will offer some good catching.(I would not eat it unless you were hard up) South on harding street is the best but it also smells real bad at times. Now if you had a boat or canoe you can get to better honey holes.

Lots of places in Henry county on the blue river, Goose pond, and Summit lake state park. Summit lake has nice perch that I get with beetle spins till the grass takes over then it is the old bobber in worm.

I have a canoe and a little portable depth/fish finder I am thinking of selling, The canoe is a single person 12 footer and car topper ready. A nice setup for a single fisherman, paddle around and get away. Fish from boat of bank away from others.

PM me if you want some other locations.

Lakefield22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2008
    There is decent bank fishing along eagle creek, especially as you get closer to the dam but it can be hard finding access. I used to fly fish eagle creek near Marion County Fish & Game for carp. The locals thought I was nuts but if you like a good fighting fish, there is nothing else like it.

The reservoir is OK fishing from the bank, I've caught plenty of bluegills and catfish doing this. Check a map and look for protected coves to find decent spots. Good fishing is going to be off the beaten path.

A canoe or kayak are great ways to fish the reservoir. I recently picked up a kayak just so I could get away from bank fishing.

HiRoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Indianapolis East
    I used to hit up Driftwood on S. 31 a few years back, actually did pretty well there, but I had a boat, bank fishing was easy access tho. Pisgah isn't bad at Atterbury , IDK if you can hit that from the bank tho.

Last edited:

HiRoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Indianapolis East
    There is decent bank fishing along eagle creek, especially as you get closer to the dam but it can be hard finding access. I used to fly fish eagle creek near Marion County Fish & Game for carp. The locals thought I was nuts but if you like a good fighting fish, there is nothing else like it.

The reservoir is OK fishing from the bank, I've caught plenty of bluegills and catfish doing this. Check a map and look for protected coves to find decent spots. Good fishing is going to be off the beaten path.

A canoe or kayak are great ways to fish the reservoir. I recently picked up a kayak just so I could get away from bank fishing.
    SW corner off of Raceway Rd. is full of bank access, I think you drive in from the Eagle Creek apt's entrance, gravel lot and a short walk down to the bank, I've caught nice crappie and cats down there bank or boat.

HiRoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Indianapolis East
    Ft. Harrison

Pretty nice for the kids to bank fish, my daughter caught a 6 pound large mouth a few years ago. Take bikes, lunch, and bait. Game wardens are pretty strict there tho.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Thanks for the leads everyone. I think I'll try out Eagle Creek reservoir early next week. I'll be sticking to shore fishing since I won't be able to use my 16' canoe just yet.

Top Bottom