Fishing in midwest in the 3rd week of july??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clickclickboom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    The family if planning a get together this weekend. Any suggestions for where there might be good fishing?

indiana, tenn, ohio, illinois, or michigan.

We are looking to get a cabin to sleep 8 or so. any ideas? not really sure where to start looking.

thanks.

pinhead56

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If you're up for bass, bluegill, or muskies, Lake Webster in North Webster IN might be a possibility. Webster is the only muskie lake in IN and is surrounded by cottages and homes, many rentals. Do a Google search for rentals. For example I found this one, but don't know anything about it...
    take-it-easy-cabin-lake-webster

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    Dale Hollow Lake in Tennessee has house boats for rent. Might be a way to go. Try a few of the other larger lakes as well for house boats for rent.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Dale Hollow Lake in Tennessee has house boats for rent. Might be a way to go. Try a few of the other larger lakes as well for house boats for rent.

This would be my vote, especially if any one in the group already has fishing or skiing boats. Lake trout in deep water above the dam, world famous for smallies. Smallies will be a night time event that time of year, cats all day and night.

Done it many times and never been dissapointed. We rented from Hendricks Creek several years in a row.
    Welcome to Hendricks Creek Resort's web site!
    One year I had a problem with my own boat and they got their own mechanic right on it and literally saved our vacation. I've got absolutely no complaint with them, their service, or facilities.

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    House boat on Cumberland lake in KY. Can't beat stripers and cats and great scenery. Plenty of room to move around and not be too close to others unless you want to.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    July fishing. Better go uo north to the boundary waters in minn.

Smallmouth go nuts in july and pike are fairly active also. We catch a few walleyes also but not as many as in sept. Long trip but worth the drive.

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    Kentucky Lake or Barkley are good choices too. Last time I was down there in July, the catfish bite was seriously on if I remember correctly. 5-10lbs all day long. Specifically in the Jonathan creek area of KY lake.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    Thanks, but i think we're looking for something a bit more out of the way

Lake Cherokee in TN...if out of the way is what you are looking for. However, I would check with the locals prior to making arrangments. I am not sure what the drought last year might have done to the fishing. I know lake levels went way down and there were some concerns.

sp3worker

Expert
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    If you're up for bass, bluegill, or muskies, Lake Webster in North Webster IN might be a possibility. Webster is the only muskie lake in IN and is surrounded by cottages and homes, many rentals. Do a Google search for rentals. For example I found this one, but don't know anything about it...
    take-it-easy-cabin-lake-webster

Better have deep pockets if you plan on muskie fishing, lots of specialty tackle needed. Webster,Tippy and the Barbee Chain are good muskie lakes though. I caught a 35" on Webster and a 36" on Little Barbee.

I like the boundry waters for smallmouth and pike idea. Never been up there, but it's on my list.:D

Another good option is a Lake Michigan salmon/trout charter or Lake Erie walleye charter. I can probably get you the guys name and # we went with for the salmon/trout if you're interested. There's a local guy that does Erie charters I know as well, but haven't fished with him yet.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    I would say Porcupine Mtn State Park in UP MIchigan. The cabins, if you can get one, are very nice but basic. A woodstove, four bunks with spring matresses, axe, saw, pots and pans, outhouse and rowboat. Perfect for us. I stayed in one on Lake of the clouds for a week at the end of October and the smallmouth were world-class the first few days, then we went on to catch Splake in one of the ponds, steehead in the Iron River and brookies in a stream. By July the water will be like a bathtub.
    Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park Detail

The second choice would be the SW Wisconsin triangle where the spring creeks offer such good trout fishing. There are some old Norwegian towns there with great food and Cheap hotels. There is even a state park with a campground next to the pistol range and pay-shower.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Northern WI for bass , walleye, trout, lots of place available, about 8 hours from here. We camp at the Indiana Dunes every summer, and fly fish for carp in Lake Mich, a poor mans version of sight fishing for permit, bones or Reds. Real relaxing time there, and lots to do along the shoreline.

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    Head north!!!! Snakes, skeeters too much in Tenn.and Ky. U.P. of Michigan great that time of year. We have camped at the locks at Sault St.Marie, a great trip, go into Canada, run around Lake Superior.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Thanks, but i think we're looking for something a bit more out of the way
    The real question is how good of a fisherman are you? If you gotta ask you are likely below average.

Get away in Indiana, the closer you are to the Ohio river the better off you are. I prefer Vinnie's cabins but I have used all three below over the years.

Ohio River Log Cabins Ohio River Log Cabin Rentals

Ohio River Cabins

Colucci Log Cabin Rentals on the Ohio River

SHEER volume of fish in July, oh hell yeah Lake Erie, Port Clinton/Marble Head I know a great guide but that area is anything but remote.

Dale Hollow and center Hill in Tenn

For me July is Northern Minn, I consider this to be my "home town" (I am from no where) Jolly Fisherman

Last edited:
    Top Bottom