• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    Taking my youngest son down the first week of August before he goes back to school. Chartered a boat for 2 days but we have 2 days open and looking for advice on pier fishing or other charters anyone might have experience with. Mainly going for Snapper and Triggerfish but we'll catch anything willing to bite.

Also, any advice on bringing back the fish? Probably have to store them for 2 days and then the trip home. I have 0 experience on how to pack fish for travel.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Fort Pickens pier can be a really good place to fish in that area. I'd get there as early as possible for the best fishing and to avoid crowds on the weekends but there are generally less pier rats on that pier than bigger piers. If there is bait around, the Spanish mackerel fishing can be amazing. I prefer to use 1 oz silver or gold castmaster spoons. I get the cheap knockoff Basspro/Cabelas version since I lose a lot of them. You can also use small live bait. I always like to keep at least one heavy rig out with live/dead bait for something big.

Depending on the age of your son or how much you want to use live/dead bait, a quick trip down to the Navarre pier to load up on blue runners for bait with a sabiki rig can be fun and productive. You will also catch some Spanish on sabikis when they are around. If the dolphins will leave your bait/fish alone you can also catch redfish, king mackerel, and other species from the pier.

Your charter crew should fillet your catch for you and then you can keep the fillets on ice for a few days. If you catch anything legal to keep on your own, you can either fillet it or simply gut it and put it on ice. I've kept fish like this for 5-6 days with no problem. Just keep it well iced and gut anything you don't fillet. Pro tip, be sure to cut out any dark red meat off of your fillets before freezing them, this goes for any fish with a noticeable blood line, even those the charter crew fillets for you. They will taste a lot less fishy that way.

Pro tip #2, stop at Joe Patty's before you leave Pensacola and fill up your cooler with some royal red shrimp and whatever fresh catch trips your fancy. If you like sushi, the sushi their is incredible and I highly recommend the volcano roll. Definitely get some beignets from the truck out front.

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    Fort Pickens pier can be a really good place to fish in that area. I'd get there as early as possible for the best fishing and to avoid crowds on the weekends but there are generally less pier rats on that pier than bigger piers. If there is bait around, the Spanish mackerel fishing can be amazing. I prefer to use 1 oz silver or gold castmaster spoons. I get the cheap knockoff Basspro/Cabelas version since I lose a lot of them. You can also use small live bait. I always like to keep at least one heavy rig out with live/dead bait for something big.

Depending on the age of your son or how much you want to use live/dead bait, a quick trip down to the Navarre pier to load up on blue runners for bait with a sabiki rig can be fun and productive. You will also catch some Spanish on sabikis when they are around. If the dolphins will leave your bait/fish alone you can also catch redfish, king mackerel, and other species from the pier.

Your charter crew should fillet your catch for you and then you can keep the fillets on ice for a few days. If you catch anything legal to keep on your own, you can either fillet it or simply gut it and put it on ice. I've kept fish like this for 5-6 days with no problem. Just keep it well iced and gut anything you don't fillet. Pro tip, be sure to cut out any dark red meat off of your fillets before freezing them, this goes for any fish with a noticeable blood line, even those the charter crew fillets for you. They will taste a lot less fishy that way.

Pro tip #2, stop at Joe Patty's before you leave Pensacola and fill up your cooler with some royal red shrimp and whatever fresh catch trips your fancy. If you like sushi, the sushi their is incredible and I highly recommend the volcano roll. Definitely get some beignets from the truck out front.
    That all sounds perfect. Thank you for the help?

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I hump Rockfish and Flounder back from Maryland once or twice a year, I have a large Igloo that I filled the hollow inside walls up with closed cell foam 20 years ago. I stop and buy dry ice and use that to keep the fish frozen till I get home. That makes it easy.
    Dry ice is available at many stores.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    That all sounds perfect. Thank you for the help?
    You're welcome! If you have any other questions let me know.

I really enjoyed fishing in Pensacola, although we've gravitated to vacationing in St. Pete that last few years so I haven't been there in a few years. Fort Pickens is easily my favorite of the public piers I've been on and I've had a decent amount of success over three trips to the area. Even when conditions are not ideal (ie. no baitfish in the area) there's usually something to catch or at least try to and you never know what may be around if bait is present. Hopefully the baitfish will be in and the Spanish mackerel will be around in good numbers when you go as they are an absolute blast to catch and action can be fast and furious.

Top Bottom