• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    Ok I was talking to my dad about potential food sources in SHTF situations. He acted as if most ponds, lakes, streams, and rivers in the US were too polluted to be eating fish out of. I'm not sure how accurate this is, and I just wanted find out for sure. My dad isn't usually the kind to just assume something like that without doing some real research, and he's definitely not a liberal tree hugger. Is he right?:dunno:

ryant7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    New Albany, IN
    I know i would not be eating any fish from the ohio river the city of New Albany got fined a couple years ago for dumping sewage and waste directly into the river (saved the city money apparently) i believe it was sewage and used water etc... from the city street sweepers.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I catch fish and eat them. Still kicking. I can't think of anything more relaxing then floating a bobber on a nice sunny day. Cold bear in my hand. The smell of napalm and burning zombie flesh in the air.:):

schapm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    IDEM: Impaired Waters - Section 303(d)
    This might be a good start. I believe most of the smaller waterways are safe to eat fish from once a week or so. Much more than that and you may be at risk for buildup of toxins in your body. I remember hearing that on the following rating scale-
    1- Eat fish from this water all you want
    2- Eat fish from this water once a week at most
    3- Eat fish from this water no more than once a month
    4- Eat fish from this water only in a short term survival situation
    5- Eat fish from this water only if you want to become a mutant

No Indiana waterway scores a 1. I don't know if this is true or not.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I think the IN fishing guide list bodies of water where consumption of fish should be limited. Problem is depending on what type of SHTF scenarios we have, the water could become polluted after the fact. The other thing that concerns me is that if the water is polluted for fishing what does this mean for potential use as drinking water.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I know a guy that has been eating catfish from the Ohio near Rockport for a good 70 plus years now..He is in better shape than I and he is twice my age. He doesnt eat it every day but weekly for sure. Depends on how much he catches. So it is all relative.

ryant7

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    New Albany, IN
    I know a guy that has been eating catfish from the Ohio near Rockport for a good 70 plus years now..He is in better shape than I and he is twice my age. He doesnt eat it every day but weekly for sure. Depends on how much he catches. So it is all relative.
    It depends on what the catfish has been eating too lol really if hes been eating it i wouldnt have a problem with eating it from his area

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Ok I was talking to my dad about potential food sources in SHTF situations. He acted as if most ponds, lakes, streams, and rivers in the US were too polluted to be eating fish out of. I'm not sure how accurate this is, and I just wanted find out for sure. My dad isn't usually the kind to just assume something like that without doing some real research, and he's definitely not a liberal tree hugger. Is he right?:dunno:

While there is definitely lots of pollution and, under normal circumstances such fish may be less than desirable, it is another case of weighing risk vs. benefit.

While some locations are so polluted as to risk causing immediate jeopardy to health, starvation tends to do that relatively quickly as well.

My thoughts would be to get familiar with the perceived risks of the waterways in your probable SHTF area(s) before hand so you can make the appropriate judgment call at the time. :twocents:

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I know that some guys around here catch fish out of the Wabash and put them in fresh water and feed them corn meal in order to improve flavor. I know that you wouldn't want to waste corn meal in SHTF, but putting the catfish into something filled with rainwater for a few days might help clean them out.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    I eat fish from lakes all over IN......the big scare is mercury, not pollution. I would definitely be catchin some fish if possible during a shtf scenario. I would likely head north towards Canada....there are plenty of clean lakes and open wilderness up there

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I eat fish from lakes all over IN......the big scare is mercury, not pollution. I would definitely be catchin some fish if possible during a shtf scenario. I would likely head north towards Canada....there are plenty of clean lakes and open wilderness up there
    :+1:..that is depending on the scenario.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    In polluted waters, eat from the bottom of the food chain, not the top.

In other words Bluegill are safer than catfish and bass. If you want to better undertand this, study WHY pcb's were banned from use in America.

Toxins like Mercury accumualte exponentially as you move through the food chain. So if the average Bluegill has one unit of measure and an Eagle eats 5 bluegills, the eagle has 5. If you eat 5 eagles you have 25................and a large fine from the DNR.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    In polluted waters, eat from the bottom of the food chain, not the top.

In other words Bluegill are safer than catfish and bass. If you want to better undertand this, study WHY pcb's were banned from use in America.

Toxins like Mercury accumualte exponentially as you move through the food chain. So if the average Bluegill has one unit of measure and an Eagle eats 5 bluegills, the eagle has 5. If you eat 5 eagles you have 25................and a large fine from the DNR.

Homer Simpson voice: "Mmmmmmm, eagles." :D

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    Lapel
    Cold bear?

I catch fish and eat them. Still kicking. I can't think of anything more relaxing then floating a bobber on a nice sunny day. Cold bear in my hand. The smell of napalm and burning zombie flesh in the air.:):

I want to fishing with you man.

BlisterPac

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    I tend to agree with Zoub.

My plan:
    - in "questionable" waters, stay away from bottom dwellers (carp, sucker, catfish, etc. This isn't for snobbish reasons, but because many contaminants "settle" to the bottom.
    - stay away from the larger specimens. Larger = older = more time to accummulate toxins.
    - trim away "fatty" sections of fishes where toxins tend to be focused.
    - let the drippings fall away from the meat during broiling. Methods such as frying tend to seal things (good and bad) into the meat.
    - For flavor improvements - I soak in salt water, and sometimes even "7-up" to clean up the flavor a bit.
    - when in doubt, if possible - try to eat from reservoirs - since they are water supplies for populations, they tend to be protected/watched a little more for toxins.
    - Stay away from water supplies where fellow INGO members have been burning Zombies :D

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County

dcary7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    East Coast
    The majority of the bodies of water you will catch fish from are healthy enough to eat. In all honesty, most all waters are cleaner now than they were when all of these concerns were originally brought up. Some rivers are more polluted and I know people say that you shouldn't eat the fish out of em. But I know a fisherman who works the rivers every week and eats fish out of the Wabash and White multiple times a week. He is 90 years old and has been doing this for a good portion of his life. I would say you are fine with whatever you catch. When was the last time you heard someone get sick from eating fish from a particular body of water? I would say just don't eat the ones with 3 eyes ;)

Top Bottom