• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I was curious to how many people have looked at fitness as a prepping idea? Personally, I have set goals both short term and long term for me as I know that fitness issues will be a major factor and probably a death certificate for many people. My personal goals are both weight and achievement related. For example, I have set a weight loss goal of ten pounds total for February and then have longer term goals with fifty pounds of loss over a year span. Also, I have set new lifting goals for myself as the year goes on as it is one thing to say I am going to throw a forty pound pack on and take off and actually doing it on a regular basis.

The biggest struggle I have made lately is changing my diet to suit what I need to eat compared to how easy Wendy's drive thru is a lunch time:D Anyway, what other fitness goals have you set for yourself for this year and what have you done to actually make it happen? Maybe we can make this a motivational thread as well to help each other out a bit along the way.

Good Luck to all!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Good Point!

As much as we try to materially prep, that is not enough. Without being mentally and physically prepped, the prospect of survival is compromised.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I have been thinking about this recently. I thought this was a good read that a friend sent me. What good are you going to be for anybody if you cannot walk up a hill without getting winded. I am out of shape, about 70 lbs overweight. I have recently ordered a exercise bike so I can start trying to lose weight. I have two bad knees, one I have had operated on. Without the extra weight I still believe I could do ok. If you are not in shape you may not be able to help yourself or your family. Storm Clouds on the Horizon - Survivalist Forum

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    One year ago ...

... I could hoof my 75# Ruck, incl water and weapons to my Initial Rendezvous Point. I weighed in at 265#, too much fat, but I could do 50 200# squats, and 50 pull-ups ... ten pull-ups wearing my ruck. Then a meniscus in one knee split. I am an invalid. Until they figure out a way to do an MRI on an old man who has a pace-maker / defibrillator, I'll stay an invalid. But with a pain-pill I can still work out, 4 hours at a time, so I do. With one more pain-pill plus hiking-poles I am taking a 25# ruck to the same location, and now weigh 195#, none of it fat. Slowed me down, but I can still cover your six! Value your condition and keep it in as good of shape as your AR- !!

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    Now is the time to give up your right to be unfit. No amount of exersize equiptment or special diets in the world can undue what has taken years to accumulate. Being fit is a lifestyle. The biggest problem we face is a sedintary lifestyle and lack of self-discipline when it comes to eating. You either have to go all in or or don't go at all. When you eat right it motivates you to work out and when you work out you become motivated to work out. Count your calories along with working out cardio wise. The biggest thing for me is to drink twenty-one oz. of water 15 minutes prior to each meal. When you go into a meal with a full stomache you just don't eat the same. Yes and don't eat between meals.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Just thnk how many 400lbs tacticool guys you see at the lgs!

That is my line of thought as well. How many of you know a guy who has a massive gun safe and all the cool toys but would have to take a breather after walking four blocks? Also, don't forget the people who say they don't need to be in good shape as they have the $2,000 high end rifle setup and will be droppin tangos at 400yds:): I know where my faults are and it is well past time to improve on them and get things in check before it is to late to make the right decisions. I'm not saying to do twenty mile ruck marches but we all could probably do more to educate ourselves in practical prepping knowledge along with improve our physical standing.

nmcampbe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Central IN
    On board with the fitness thing as well. Weight loss and strength training mainly. My biggest obstacles are replacing those bad habits for example the drive up window at Wendy's. Right there with you Irishfan, 10lbs down so far.

Lonestar6

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Fitness is key unless you packed your BOB for the guy who comes across your carcass after suffering a heart attack trying to walk away from a bad situation.

LiveForCaffeine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2011
    For me personally, I've found losing weight and keeping it off works best with a group. We've run a couple "biggest loser" contests at work in the past few years. Everyone puts some $$ into the pot, we have weekly weight checks, and the person that lost the most in the time the contest runs for gets the winnings.

Keeping it off is a different story though. That takes a lifestyle change for sure. I've managed to keep about 45 lbs off out of what I've dropped from my all time high with our contests, mostly from changing my eating habits and walking both with and without a ruck.

Drinking water before meals like was mentioned earlier in the thread is a great way to cut back, so does just slowing down when you eat instead of inhaling everything that's in front of you. Give your body time to feel full and you don't eat so much.

cheryl1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    West Central Indiana
    How many people here have ever put their bug out bag on and taken a long hike? It takes more out of you than you'd think. I definitely count fitness as a prep, not only for SHTF, but for everyday life. Being overweight and out of shape just looks like it would be uncomfortable.

EM45HP

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Indianapolis/Bloomington
    Summer of 2011, I cut from 180 to 155 just by eating better, no extra exercise added to daily life. I maintained 165 throughout my senior year of high school and until I started at IU in the fall of 2012. After the initial loss of 4# I'm back up to 180, the whole "Freshman Fifteen". Not horrible for 6'3", but I'd like to see 165 again.

Recently, I've started working out with a friend from high school who wrestled and played baseball and he's been kicking my rear pretty hard. I'm building strength, which is my main goal, and trying to live healthier overall.

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    I'm not what I'd consider fat, but with asthma and allergies it can be tough to do any running. However, I've found that exercising helps to alleviate some of the breathing troubles.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Great thread. I just happened to join NIFS today and secured a personal trainer and dietician. I have tried a couple of times to get in shape, but got bored and continued to eat the same way, which was not healthy. Hopefully, I can develop a new lifestyle and get in shape like my wife.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Almost 48 yr old here, was 225 lbs at the beginning of the year, now 212 and headed down. Working out three to four times a week, light stuff like a treadmill and some weights. Eating sensibly, cutting out seconds and desert every night. Got Lasik last month too. Stopped smoking, even though it was only a few a day, still made a big difference as well.

Has made a huge improvment already. Blood pressure is almost back to normal (it was nearly 200/120 a year ago or something close - I dont remember exactly) now 120/88. I feel 10 times better than I did just in December. I hope to be in the 180's by summer. I tell my 16 year old daughter that I am getting in boyfriend intimidation shape. Got to be able to swing the kukri machete with authority... :D

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Great thread! All you guys who have seen the light and gotten back into fighting shape-GREAT JOB! Keep going, as others have said here, its a lifestyle. Forever. If you get hit with obstacles: new baby, job loss, injury, etc, you just change it up, work around it. You are a human, smart, crafty, inventive, motivated. You're not a tortise. You can get around and overcome anything.

I am a firm believer that YOU are the weapons platform. If you can't get to the target area to deliver your ordnance, then all the high end guns and gear aren't worth a damn.

Good luck men, keep going, support each other, kick each other's asses.

bft131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Down from 270 to 248 since January 7th...just hitting the workout trail again, and using the "My Fitness Pal" app has been a great blessing...keeps me in line alot...but I do eat a cookie every now and then !!!

Also, just wanting to stay around longer for my wife and kids..not to mention my crew at work...

spitfire51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Well I recently decided this will be the year I run the Indy mini-marathon. Been wanting to do it for a while, gonna buckle down and get it done this time.

Side note, if anyone has suggestions on a good hydration system for when the training runs start to stretch out, I'd appreciate it. Don't need anything the size of a full camelbak pack (I don't think), looking for something a little more compact.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I lost 65 lbs last year and darned near quit smoking. I'm down to 6 a day now but I sure like them.
    I run daily weather permitting, work out routine, light weights too. Eating right and getting in good shape.
    BTW, I'm almost 63 and feel better than I have in 20 years.
    After my workout and running I immediately to to my range and fire off my AR10-4 and Kimber 1911 Custom.
    I can't believe how much better I can shoot after working out. There's a big difference in now and before after working out. Groupings are good and tight. Before I'd be so shaky and oxygen depleted I was lucky to stay on paper.
    Getting in shape does work and my chances of survival are multiple times improved.
    My diet was easy.
    NO drive thru windows, NO Potatoes, NO white Bread,NO spagetti, NO Cokes or pop. Diet 7uP or Sprite only, sugarless Tea. Very few starches, lots of meat, veggies, fruits, and water and cut out the crap food.
    I eat twice as much as before but eating right and I feel and look good and holding my weight where I want it is easy now.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Well I recently decided this will be the year I run the Indy mini-marathon. Been wanting to do it for a while, gonna buckle down and get it done this time.

Side note, if anyone has suggestions on a good hydration system for when the training runs start to stretch out, I'd appreciate it. Don't need anything the size of a full camelbak pack (I don't think), looking for something a little more compact.

One of my goals is to do a 5k in the future. It may not be this year but within the next 2-3 for sure. However, the ability to take my pack and do a legitimate bug out type hike/test is what I am truly working for. Now, that does not mean I am ignoring strength training and longevity as that is also something very important to me. Not only will we have better motivation for ourselves when we look into the mirror but you might be the inspiration your wife, brother, daughter, or friend need to take the steps they need to as well.

Lets keep this thread alive and post not only weight loss but gains as well. I don't care if you only lost three pounds or improved your mile time by ten seconds. We all can benefit from improvements that each of us are accomplishing. Good Luck!!!

Top Bottom