Fitness tracker reviews: FitBit, Nike+, others?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jd42k

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I use map my run/map my ride with the iphone.
    Works terrific.
    You can share and create your own routes.
    Can email weekly, quarterly and annual your workouts.
    Tracks distance pace/cadence, heart rate and other items.

Happy Trails,
    JD

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I've used three versions of fitbit, and have been very happy with them. The backend/web software has come a long way. Nice integration with other apps like myfitnesspal for tracking diet. I like the sleep tracking, as I have some sleep issues that I was wanting to quantify and track. No complaints from me. I haven't used the nike one.

Femme Assise

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Right now I use the mapmyrun application on the iPhone 4. For a free app I am pretty impressed - tracks mileage, average pace, elevation, etc.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I've used three versions of fitbit, and have been very happy with them. The backend/web software has come a long way. Nice integration with other apps like myfitnesspal for tracking diet. I like the sleep tracking, as I have some sleep issues that I was wanting to quantify and track. No complaints from me. I haven't used the nike one.

I can't there their software to run on my computer. And if you're phone is old it doesn't have BLE so it can't connect.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    DC Rainmaker does very very detailed reviews. These are some of the fitness tracker he has reviewed. I keep wanting one to monitor my sleep, as poor sleep = little recovery, which means tough to work out hard soon. Makes training a bear at times.

For these having a smart phone helps. I don't.

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    My wife has the fitbit flex and shes very happy with it. She's a trainer at the YMCA and monitors it constantly. I think she has it linked to her my fitness pal account as well. She typically charges it every evening but said it will make it 4-5 days if not using the sleep tracker. The only problem I recall with it was the accuracy while cycling so she just straps it to her ankle when doing spin.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I just went ahead and bought the fitbit flex. I wanted the "force", the newest one, but it has a voluntary recall because of some skin sensitivity issues. I bought one for the wife and my dad as well. We'll see how it goes. I bought on their website and it had a 2-3w estimated backorder. They are based in San Fran but I had to pay sales tax. I cancelled that order and bought on amazon that had them in stock and the slate one was actually $7 cheaper, but still had to pay sales tax.

scootn103

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    i just checked the fitbit flex and i really like those , great way to keep track of everything that is important.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    My wife and I use FitBit Flex. We've had them for almost a year.

A couple friends use FitBit Flex. My brother uses a FitBit Flex.

Very happy, very satisfied. I've compared the mileage recorded on my Flex with a GPS unit after several hikes and it is very close. The units track sleep. They are water resistant enough for swimming but they don't do a great job of recording your distance in the water, they tract your activity but the distance is not accurate during swimming.

When compared to the Nike units by WIRED magazine and a few others the FitBit came out as the best choice. They now have a more advanced unit than the Flex that has an altimiter for tracking time on stairs, etc.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Day two of fitbit. It's certainly a reminder so far but I'm not used to it either. It thinks I sleep pretty well too. Today is my first day of step tracking.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Day two of fitbit. It's certainly a reminder so far but I'm not used to it either. It thinks I sleep pretty well too.
    Mine told me how badly I slept. I would average waking up about 7 times per night. It convinced me to get a CPAP machine and now I typically sleep through the night, or wake up once.

hoosierdoc said:
    Today is my first day of step tracking.
    You will find out one of two things. Either you are a lazy slug, or, you walk more than you ever thought you did.

I found out, my teacher wife, paces back and forth in her classroom worth about 5 miles a day! Me, on the other hand, walk back and forth to the coffee pot and am a lazy slug . . . except on days when I go for a hike, then I blow past my step goal in 90 minutes.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Mine told me how badly I slept. I would average waking up about 7 times per night. It convinced me to get a CPAP machine and now I typically sleep through the night, or wake up once.

You will find out one of two things. Either you are a lazy slug, or, you walk more than you ever thought you did.

I found out, my teacher wife, paces back and forth in her classroom worth about 5 miles a day! Me, on the other hand, walk back and forth to the coffee pot and am a lazy slug . . . except on days when I go for a hike, then I blow past my step goal in 90 minutes.

Have you noticed an increase in energy since starting the cpap? It told me I had one restless 0 minute event in 7:45 of sleep. On the treadmill now and it's perfect with step counts with a standard stride. It's motivating to watch step count increase quickly.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Have you noticed an increase in energy since starting the cpap? It told me I had one restless 0 minute event in 7:45 of sleep. On the treadmill now and it's perfect with step counts with a standard stride. It's motivating to watch step count increase quickly.

YES! I used to yawn all day long and live my life around a coffee machine. Now I drink coffee because I like the flavor, not because I need the caffeine. I virtually NEVER yawn during the day, maybe at night if I've had an active day. But I used to be tired ALL day, from the time I got up to the time I laid my head back down.

And yes, the Fitbit will track you on a TREADMILL but it does not work well on an ELLIPTICAL machine.

Top Bottom