• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    I ordered new thumb safeties for 2 of my 1911's. I have gone through a generic 1911 armorer's course, have the tools, and the "knowledge". However, I have never fitted one before and am somewhat reluctant to take it on. I don't know if messing it up means buying a new safety scares me or I am just intimidated by it.

I am sure that several INGOer's have tried fitting their own. If you have can you please let me know what level of "experience" you have, if you were successful on your first attempt, and how difficult you found it?

Thanks!

Disclaimer: I hope that this is not a duplicate of another thread. I searched on INGO and "Googled" it in an attempt to make sure that it is not.

mkelsey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Springville
    I was able to do it with a new safety and a bastard file on my first attempt, just leave the grip safety off the frame and you can check the fit of the thumb safety after ever pass or of the file (it goes FAST better to check it every pass then have a safety that doesnt work). It really is an easy job tho just go slow and check it A LOT so you get a good fit.

And for the recod I have never taken an armorers course or anything of the sort, I watched a youtube video then went out and got a new safety and a file.

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    I was able to do it with a new safety and a bastard file on my first attempt, just leave the grip safety off the frame and you can check the fit of the thumb safety after ever pass or of the file (it goes FAST better to check it every pass then have a safety that doesnt work). It really is an easy job tho just go slow and check it A LOT so you get a good fit.

And for the recod I have never taken an armorers course or anything of the sort, I watched a youtube video then went out and got a new safety and a file.

This is what I do, take the sear spring and grip safety off, now the pressure from the sear will hold the hammer so just play around with it. Usually it doesn't take a whole lot of filing. I have found sometimes it's just as easy to take a little off of the sear and the safety if you don't mess with the angles on the sear.

I am going to be doing this again shortly, I will post a video when I get a camera because I have found it dificult to find a video on this and its a common modification.

Another little pointer I have, for the safety I have found a diamond seration sharpener is great to file, I picked up a pocket knife sharpener from Walmart for about $8. I find that it is a great file for hardened gun parts and it has a very nice fine point....

Last edited:

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Just put a new one on that I purchased here on INGO, it needed a little more "fitting" than others I have done but it worked great. Next I need a stainless steel slide stop, well whatever, I am just gonna order one from brownells now

chevy2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    Carefully observe how the factory safety functions .Use a good set of needle files and take your time.

Top Bottom