• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Instead of grinding, a wire brush wheel on an right angle ai grinder is what we used to clean wheels back in my service station days

Yeah, that is what I used. Still leaked. I found a new rim yesterday morning at Discount, but then stopped by my buddies oil change/tire station on my way to get new rim. He said he could fix it, sure enough....took him less than 10 minutes. He removed tire, took big angle grinder to it....then put bead sealer, not a leak to be found now.

These are some pretty big 15" tires......think that is why they are hard to find. Glad it is fixed though....thanks again for all advice!

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Forget the crowbar, deflate it and drive over the tire (avoiding the wheel).

That's a good idea. I tried to let the rotor down on tire to dismount, but trailer wasn't heavy enough. So I laid tire down flat under trailer frame and used a bottle jack. I sat bottle jack on tire sidewall and jacked it up, as the jack went up the bottom of it went down causing the bead to pop loose. Sometimes we just have to get creative...

thelefthand

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Yeah, for 8K loads, fix the rim or replace it (like you did). Having said that, I've used slime on tire to rim issues multiple times with good results. Its always been on trailer tires that I don't use on the road for heavy loads, but it has worked every time, and the repairs have lasted for several years. The key seems to be getting the product gets to the leak. If you know where it's at, and can position the tire so that it pools in that area, great. Otherwise, get it back on the trailer and haul it around for 20-30 min at low speeds so that the product is constantly coating the sidewalls.

Forget about crow bars and tire irons for tires. Go to HF and get a cheap tire changer to have on hand. Lots of easy ways to break the bead, but this tool pays for its self the first time you need to deal with a tire on the weekend. Mine has payed for itself just in fuel savings having to take a tire into town to have it serviced.

Top Bottom