• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigJ3780

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    I have a standard steel AK mag that sticks after about 15 rnds in.

Took it apart don't see anything. Maybe some oil? Or just pitch it and get another?

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    could it be gunked up with cosmoline?? clean it good then try oil...if that doesnt work drop 15$ on a new one.....and keep that one as a back up 15 rd mag lol

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Check the springs. Whenever I get a new mag and clean it out, sometimes when I reassemble it I can only get 28-29 rounds into it. I found to avoid this you get your follower and you put the spring into the follower and put it in like that. Push the spring into the magazine body, put the base plate back on and and I found this fixes most capacity and feeding problems.

Here are a few pictures in case I didn't make sense:

Put the spring into the bottom of the follower:
    37b1d5e4.jpg

Push the follower in with the spring in the bottom of the follower:
    90e7a395.jpg

Then just push the spring in all the way and put the base plate back on. Easy!

Last edited:

BigJ3780

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    Ill have to give that a shot. I new some was wrong when the rounds were rattling. I tapped on the table and that didn't help. It is showing signs of rust. May just keep for parts. Thanks for the pics.

Would keeping oil around the seams help avoid the rust issue?

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Ill have to give that a shot. I new some was wrong when the rounds were rattling. I tapped on the table and that didn't help. It is showing signs of rust. May just keep for parts. Thanks for the pics.

Would keeping oil around the seams help avoid the rust issue?

Possibly. If you've got bad rust on the spring or inside the magazine that could be the problem as well. I don't oil my magazines and they work perfectly :twocents:

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Steel surplus AK mags are built like tanks, but I can tell you that the slightest dent can cause you fits. Look for something out of whack just below the midline of the mag.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I'm new to AKs, but how in the hell would you dent one of those mags? I see why it's a weapons "system." In a pinch you could wield two empty mags as bludgeons, or throw them at the enemy and knock him out. Those are some serious mags.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    i was going to second mvician. Toss it and buy another. For the ridiculously low prices these go for it's not worth the time to fix it (9$ at aim surplus for metal). May i recommend getting some bulgarian circle ten mags ($25 from SKSMAN AK-47 Magazines, Drum Mag) or us palm mags ($29.99 from One Source Tactical - Magazines). I have never had an issue with either, plus if you do have an issue at least you'll be working on a more expensive magazine making it somewhat worth your time. You should, in all honestly, keep your bad magazine and use it for malfunction drills at the range.

Blythes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    We've seen steel mags get slightly indented from hard use. Any deformity can cause the follower to bind. Check the mag out closely looking for any signs of deformation. Given the relative low cost of steel European surplus mags these days, it's often times better to toss a troublesome mag and replace it with a new one for $10 or less.

BigJ3780

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    did polishing the sides of the follower with 0000 steel wool, help at all, with your sticky mag?

I have yet to try. Been quite busy. Thank you for all the help though and checking the mag out for me.

i was going to second mvician. Toss it and buy another. For the ridiculously low prices these go for it's not worth the time to fix it (9$ at aim surplus for metal). May i recommend getting some bulgarian circle ten mags ($25 from SKSMAN AK-47 Magazines, Drum Mag) or us palm mags ($29.99 from One Source Tactical - Magazines). I have never had an issue with either, plus if you do have an issue at least you'll be working on a more expensive magazine making it somewhat worth your time. You should, in all honestly, keep your bad magazine and use it for malfunction drills at the range.

Thank you for the information, I will look into these sources. I have been quie weary of the cheap mags, but they work ok for a day at the range.

i tried pming you info on the ak mags but inbox is full

Just cleaned it up, try again please.

Top Bottom