• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    I got an old but trusty S&W Highway Patrolman. She has seen alot better days The bluing is nearly gone and the backstrap has discolored badly the rear sight blade needs replaced, the factory target grips are in terrible shape, but I dont wanna give up on the old gal. Shes tight crisp and shoots very well plus its my girlfriends favorite (and a 3 screw). It was the first handgun I got on my 21st Birthday thats the sentimental part, should I give up on it, restore it, or leave it alone as itl be worth more money that way

2ia5wrk.jpg

dnh75l.jpg

15gt8oy.jpg

2qmgffs.jpg

16ib3o8.jpg

xzzue.jpg

ulcok.jpg

Last edited:

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    My vote would be to leave it as is. It will never be a collector, just a shooter. Take the refinishing money and use it for ammo.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    I got an old but trusty S&W Highway Patrolman. She has seen alot better days The bluing is nearly gone and the backstrap has discolored badly the rear sight blade needs replaced, the factory target grips are in terrible shape, but I dont wanna give up on the old gal. Shes tight crisp and shoots very well plus its my girlfriends favorite (and a 3 screw). It was the first handgun I got on my 21st Birthday thats the sentimental part, should I give up on it, restore it, or leave it alone as itl be worth more money that way
    Based on that description, I'd change out the rear sight and grips (unless they fit you perfectly broken in), and call it a day. Makes it maximum functional without changing much of its original wear you've done. Bluing doesn't offer any protection anyways, keep it oiled and keep it wearing its age.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    If it were mine I would fix it up. But that is just me I like my stuff to look and function well.
    Except in rare cases where it would detract from value, but in this case sounds like it would increase this guns value. Probably not as much as it will cost though to redo it. That's where the sentimental part comes in :)

smbaldwin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    cumberland
    IMO it depends on what you want it for long term. if you want the most value out of it for resale i would consider a full restoration. if you wanna keep it, and shoot or display it then I would just fix the sights and new grip. It would be very hard for me to sell my first gun. just my:twocents:

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    IMO it depends on what you want it for long term. if you want the most value out of it for resale i would consider a full restoration. if you wanna keep it, and shoot or display it then I would just fix the sights and new grip. It would be very hard for me to sell my first gun. just my:twocents:

It was my first not "gifted" handgun lol I had a RIA 1911 and a CZ52 before that. Its my first really legit handgun lol. Before then I didnt understand the laws completely. What would bluing run me? and how about some fancy sights?
    The grips will never be changed these target grips are amazing the way they fit me. Id much rather find a way to recondition them

rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    It was my first not "gifted" handgun lol I had a RIA 1911 and a CZ52 before that. Its my first really legit handgun lol. Before then I didnt understand the laws completely. What would bluing run me? and how about some fancy sights?
    The grips will never be changed these target grips are amazing the way they fit me. Id much rather find a way to recondition them
    I know that Colt would charge about $275 to factory re-blue one of there guns. I'm not sure if S&W offers this but if I were gonna do it I would have the factory work done. It will cost more but it will come back looking nearly brand new. You'll prolly be into the gun for more than it's worth to other people but if you're keeping it do what makes you happy!:twocents:

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    To me it depends on what you want out of the gun. If you are so sentimental about it and want to put it up and not shoot it anymore then go all out and just do it right once. If your going to keep shooting it on a regular basis fix it enough to make it a nice shooter and enjoy the gun for what it is

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    You can check Brownell's for a new factory or aftermarket rear sight and grips. Square butt "N" frame grips are available from many sources in a wide variety of materials and styles.

As to refinishing, for "rebluing" I'd personally go with sending it back to S&W. It may cost a tad more than a local job, but you're at least assured that no markings, etc. will be obliterated by a less-than-skillful prep polishing. And a "factory" refinish will detract less from potential resale.

If I were going to hold onto it and use it a lot, as you seem to have in mind, my first choice for refinishing would be the toughest, most durable aftermarket product that I could afford. "Industrial" hard chrome (such as Armaloy), or Robar's amazing new NP3+ would render it virtually impervious to corrosion and "normal" wear. An added bonus feature is that either will also slick-up the feel and function of the action greatly.

Just my $0.02, but I had an old S&W 1917 redone for CCW (barrel cut to 2 3/4", new ramped front sight installed and regulated for standard pressure 230 gr. ammo) and then Armaloyed nearly thirty years ago. It shows virtually no signs of wear or deterioration after years of holster carry,exposure to perspiration and the elements and several thousands of rds downrange since.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    If you bought this new my knee jerk reaction is shame on you for letting it get in that condition.
    But I realize it does happen.
    So my thoughts are its a Smith and Wesson, hell yeah it's worth fixing up.
    First step is definitely call S&W and see what they can do for you to at least make it shootable. Then look into rebluing.

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    If you bought this new my knee jerk reaction is shame on you for letting it get in that condition.
    But I realize it does happen.
    So my thoughts are its a Smith and Wesson, hell yeah it's worth fixing up.
    First step is definitely call S&W and see what they can do for you to at least make it shootable. Then look into rebluing.

No Im only 23 and it was pretty worn when I got it. This gun is older than I as its a 3 screw but Most of my guns are older than me and I like it that way. I would cry if my Python ever looked this way

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    The funny thing about firearms is that to restore an old one, all you do is clean it. Leaving the old finish actually maintains it's value. Since the bluing doesn't affect how it shoots, I would leave that alone.

If you can remove the grips without damaging them, that would be ok, just store them in a safe place and replace them with the grips of your choice.

Sounds and looks like you have a nice piece of shooting history that is also something you can enjoy looking at it as is, but shoot and enjoy as well.

luckee

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    NWI
    If it were me I would fix it up and keep it. It should not make a difference if it loses value if you refinish it, as its sentimental value is worth more to you than what a book says it worth to someone else. Just my .02.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Made my first suggestions before the pics were up. From the verbal description I had expected to see something in much worse shape. Believe me, I've seen a heap of revolvers that looked worse than yours and still shot fine.

From what I see, it looks to me like the majority of the cosmetic stuff you're worried about could be fixed with just a bit of elbow grease and some cold blue. Some 000/0000 bronze wool and Corrosion X will clean up the backstrap and any other spots nicely. A bit of Brownell's Oxpho Blue or 44-40, Birchwood Casey Super Perma Blue or the like on the worn spots after cleaning and degreasing should make a huge difference, IMHO. If you're even halfway handy, those grips could be nicely refinished easily, too.

Just $0.02 from the Peanut Gallery, but I've done similar work on handguns and rifles in much worse shape than yours and had them come out looking worlds better.

Top Bottom