• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyg19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    It has been a while since I have posted, but I am looking for some advice on a fixed blade.
    My ideal specs:
    blade length of aprox 4"
    molle compatible sheath
    super durable/made to be abused
    priced 100-150ish

I have looked at the ESEE 4 and I kind of like it, but I figured I would ask the experts.
    Also, looking for advice on where to buy. They have to ship to an APO.

Thanks.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I would say the ESEE 4 would serve you very well. The sheath is kydex and comes with polymer molle clips, or you can get a nylon molle back for a couple bucks more. The 1095 steel is really easy to sharpen too. I bought it from Knife Lady, who happens to be a site supporter.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    I like the ESEE 4 too, and love the KnifeLady, hard to beat that combo.:)

I also like the Swamp Rat rodent 4, it does not come with a sheath, but GruntSoldier could hook you up with a nice Kydex molle compatible sheath. Worth looking at IMHO.

Swamp Rat Knives

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Scrap Yard, Ontario, Blind Horse, Swamp Rat.

Scrap Yard does have sheaths on their website, but I think it's for the bigger stuff. Been a while since I was on their website so I'm not totally sure.

But, there's local guys here who could make a molle capatible kydex sheath for the Scrp Yard, Swamp Rat, and the Blind Horse.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    OP please feel free to check out my website. Any ESEE knife will serve you well and they all come with a sheath and some with the molle back attachment. I appreciate the support from INGO members. :D If you do not see it on my website I might still be able to get it and save you some money. I sell many name brands besides ESEE. KaBar, Benchmade, Strider, Ontario, Becker and more .

Last edited:

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I'm gonna pile on here with the esee 4. It was my first esee and I'm officially a fan boy. You'll love it!

I'm also a fan boy of knife lady. She gets ALL of my fixed blade knife business.

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    ESEE for me. I've used their knives literally all over the 3rd world. They take a serious beating, they don't cost the $ of Busse's, Grayman and others (although they are good knives), so you don't cry that much if you lose it to some greasy border guard, and they are backed by some of the best guys and best warranty in the world.

While many knives probably CAN take abuse, ESEE knives are ACTUALLY taking abuse quite regularly and you can go on their site and see what their knives are doing in Peru and other places.

There are more good knives out there than any of us have money. (Personally, I'm a huge Randall and Grayman fan.) But, for the money, you'd be hard-pressed to get a better total package (quality, durability, comes complete with sheath and various attachment options--why buy a knife that doesn't come with a sheath?!--warranty, customer service, etc) for the money.

And Knife Lady is a great vendor with many, many satisfied customers right here on this board.

Here's an old review article I wrote on the ESEE Hest (Back when it was still manufactured by ESEE/Rowen, not Ontario or Lion Steel):

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/791398-RAT-Wilderness-Ops-Course-Review

The ESEE 3 or 4 would do the same.

Last edited:

BlueDog

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    NE Indiana
    ESEEs are excellent and can take hard work, like batoning, better than anything I've ever had. Another option maybe worth looking at would be a TOPS B.O.B. I have no first-hand experience with this one, but looks like it fits your criteria. Now that I think of it though, sort of looks like a ESEE anyway.

I don't know how set you are on blade length, but I would suggest looking at the ESEE 5 before deciding on the 4 - just my opinion.....

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA

I can match and or even beat the prices that Knifecenter has on the Becker Companion price and the Benchmade Nimravus price.:D

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Another option would be a Bark River Bravo-1 with standard micarta scales. The come with leather sheaths but gruntsoldier could make you a kydex sheath.

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    Get the ESEE 4 and get it from our very own Knife Lady. It will be easy and you will get a great knife! Then take it out and use it as hard as you want!

indyg19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    Thanks for all of the advice.
    Unfortunately, pretty much all of the "looking" I can do is online due to my location.
    May be doing some shopping on the Knife Lady website soon...

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Another option would be a Bark River Bravo-1 with standard micarta scales. The come with leather sheaths but gruntsoldier could make you a kydex sheath.

I second this or one of the Blind Horse knives. The ESEE knives are good, though. There are just so many options to limit yourself to something as common as an ESEE (although they're good quality and do come with a good sheath).

Top Bottom