• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I'm looking to buy a fixed blade knife. Main uses for it would be general knife use around the farm, trimming limbs, and batoning wood (4"-5" small logs). Basically I want a knife I can kinda beat up on a little (not to extremes) and not worry too much about it breaking/bending etc. because it costs a ton. I'm wanting to spend around $50. Less is better, but if it's a really excellent knife I could maybe go to $75. I'd like one that is lower maintenance, but if carbon steel is better then stainless for my uses that's ok. I also want a nylon or Kydex/plastic/polymer sheath. I don't want a leather sheath. And I also don't want leather wrapped or wood handles. I'd like to have a nice guard on it if I can.

The main knife I was looking at right now was the Glock Field/Survival Knife Model 81. From everything I've seen about it it is a great knife for the money ($30). I like the look of Kabars too, but they are about twice as much as the Glock knife. Is the Kabar really worth twice as much as the Glock knife in terms of actual utility? I do like that the handle end (pommel?) on the Kabar is solid and could be used for a bit of hammering if needed. Those 2 are the only knives I really have looked at, I get confused trying to sort through all the fixed blades that are out there. I'm open to suggestions.

Glock knife: Glock Field Fixed Blade w/ Saw Black (6.5" Black Plain) KO17581 - Blade HQ

Kabar knife: Ka-Bar Full-Size Black Fighting/Utility Knife w/ Plastic Sheath (7" Plain) 1213 - Blade HQ (This one has Kraton handles and a plastic sheath)

I'm really new to all the different kinds of knives and gear that are out there, but I'm enjoying learning about it all. Thanks in advance! :ingo:

EDIT: Found this one too, Cold Steel Leatherneck: http://www.bladehq.com/item--Cold-Steel-Leatherneck-SF-Fixed--10412 Actually I'm kind of really liking this one. It seems like a good compromise between the Glock knife and the Kabar. Anyone have experience with it?

Last edited:

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    The Glock knives are great for the money. The KaBars are really iconic, but I'm not a huge fan. I would also skip the Cold Steel stuff. The Becker Chezuki linked is probably the best bang for buck blade in your price range.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    KABAR Becker series, for the money you want to keep it around

Also, sounds like for your purposes, a good small machete might fit the bill, in that case, look as some of the small (12") Ontario Machetes

They're strong and pretty tough, factory edges kind of blow but it's easily fixed

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    The Ka-Bar Beckers are in your price range.
    Amazon.com: Ka-Bar Becker BK2 Campanion Fixed Blade Knife: Sports & Outdoors

If you can up your budget to $100 you will greatly expand your options for quality knives, especially in the used market.

That knife looks good, but I was kind of wanting something a little longer. I like the blade shape on it, but the 7" Becker is a different blade shape then the 5.5". :rolleyes:

That is one concern I have about the Ka-Bar (the non-Becker one) is the tip strength. That's why the blade shape of this Becker 5.5" appeals to me. But I may be underestimating the Ka-Bar.

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County

If you can up your budget to $100 you will greatly expand your options for quality knives, especially in the used market.

The Becker Chezuki linked is probably the best bang for buck blade in your price range.

That knife looks good, but I was kind of wanting something a little longer. I like the blade shape on it, but the 7" Becker is a different blade shape then the 5.5". :rolleyes:

That is one concern I have about the Ka-Bar (the non-Becker one) is the tip strength. That's why the blade shape of this Becker 5.5" appeals to me. But I may be underestimating the Ka-Bar.

Well, I'm rethinking what I said there. I think I may go with the Becker knife after all. Thanks for the suggestions guys. I like the Becker's simple blade shape and the thick blade. And I was looking at our kitchen knives today to get a feel for how large a blade would be and I realized that 7 inches is pretty big for a knife, at least to me. And if I want the knife to be useful for smaller utility tasks 7 inches may be too large. I still like the Ka-Bar knife, but I think the Becker may be better for what I want to do.

Oh and this test here is pretty impressive: Putting the BK2 to the test, so you don't have to...

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Well, I'm rethinking what I said there. I think I may go with the Becker knife after all. Thanks for the suggestions guys. I like the Becker's simple blade shape and the thick blade. And I was looking at our kitchen knives today to get a feel for how large a blade would be and I realized that 7 inches is pretty big for a knife, at least to me. And if I want the knife to be useful for smaller utility tasks 7 inches may be too large. I still like the Ka-Bar knife, but I think the Becker may be better for what I want to do.

Oh and this test here is pretty impressive: Putting the BK2 to the test, so you don't have to...
    Do yourself a favor and skip the Ka-Bar "fighting" knife and go with the Becker series, if you can afford a little more, contact Sheila and get an ESEE fixed blade, maybe a 4, right around $100-110 online, she may or may not be able to do better. I have destroyed several of the Ka-Bar knives in less than serious use, but my ESEE Laser Strike has done well for many a woods and camp chore.

TheEngineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Down South

The Glock knives are great for the money. The KaBars are really iconic, but I'm not a huge fan. I would also skip the Cold Steel stuff. The Becker Chezuki linked is probably the best bang for buck blade in your price range.

Also, sounds like for your purposes, a good small machete might fit the bill, in that case, look as some of the small (12") Ontario Machetes

They're strong and pretty tough, factory edges kind of blow but it's easily fixed

Get the Becker...you wont be sorry. A friend of mine is a huge Becker fan...he's even been camping out at Ethan's house...and from what he has told me, both Ethan and his knives are top notch. I have been nothing but impressed with what i've done/seen him do with those knives.

If the size of the BK2 that chezuki linked is still turning you away, they come in all shapes and sizes...

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    I second the condor Hudson bay knife I use it interchangeably with much more expensive knives and it has yet to fail me. Condor in general is a great value. Yes I like expensive knives and enjoy exploring new steel and heat treatment but truth is condor uses low tech affordable materials to maintain economy and they work. Fit finish and quality control is not equal to super high end but it works and is a great return on investment. In addition to the Hudson bay they offer many others.
    I use the Kumunga(sp?) as a designated leave on the tractor knife it and the shorter rodan(sp?) are nice durable plastic handle knives that offer a choice to the wood handle Hudson bay.

spoke78

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Hancock County
    BK2

Good Choice for the money and entry to knife tasks. As you get going with the list of tasks you are planning for, the unplanned tasks will arise and you might find you want an entirely different knife. The BK2 is not a waste of money type knife. I have 2 of them, one serrated and one plain. I bought a nicer kydex sheath from ebay and put it on my paddle left over from a Blackhawk holster system. It works well for me. Welcome to the addiction. I bought 2 BK2's and an Essee 3 in 6 months time.... :):

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Esee makes a great knife. Izula or Izula II would work great for you. Not much maintenance and great little work horses.

Do yourself a favor and skip the Ka-Bar "fighting" knife and go with the Becker series, if you can afford a little more, contact Sheila and get an ESEE fixed blade, maybe a 4, right around $100-110 online, she may or may not be able to do better. I have destroyed several of the Ka-Bar knives in less than serious use, but my ESEE Laser Strike has done well for many a woods and camp chore.

Well I'm talking to Sheila and she suggested an ESEE as well.... so I think I may end up waiting a bit more, spending a bit more, and getting an ESEE. INGO is gonna drain my bank account yet. :ingo:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Well I'm talking to Sheila and she suggested an ESEE as well.... so I think I may end up waiting a bit more, spending a bit more, and getting an ESEE. INGO is gonna drain my bank account yet. :ingo:

Personally, I think Beckers feel better, Shelia sells those as well if I remember right.

As for draining your account, come on, there's always a more expensive knife. A D guard Treeman has been catching my eye for a while now :)

But, still cheaper than a Lovelace

:)

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Personally, I think Beckers feel better, Shelia sells those as well if I remember right.

As for draining your account, come on, there's always a more expensive knife. A D guard Treeman has been catching my eye for a while now :)

But, still cheaper than a Lovelace

:)

I'm hoping I can find a shop or a show that has one or both so I can fondle them before I buy one. Well to me a $150 or so knife is very expensive. The most I have ever spent on a knife in my life is $35. And if I had to do it again I don't think I would.

ESEE and nothing but !!!!!!!

That's my plan for now. :yesway:

Condor makes great knives for the money. I have a Bushcraft 2" and love it.

I looked through some of their knives but didn't really see anything that caught my eye. Thank you for the suggestion though! :)

Top Bottom