• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    Thinking hard about putting a A2 or A1 stock on a carbine. Anybody got a stock on their carbine and what do you think? Could I use the rifle buffer or stick with carbine buffer?

Anybody got pics???:D

Zephri

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indianapolis, Northside.
    Some picture I pulled off the web.

xlg_SPC1221.jpg

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I think the old fixed stocks are ugly, and (obviously) too long for a carbine.

I always thought the Sully stock, however, was interesting.

sully_stock_ad.jpg

PICT0001-6.jpg

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    If you're going to go fixed, look at the Sully stock, Troy Battle Ax, or one of the ACE skeletonized options, rather than the A1 or (gag) A2.

If you use an A1 or A2 rifle stock, you will need the rifle receiver extension (i.e. buffer tube), buffer and spring. Some of the shorter fixed stocks use proprietary tubes and carbine buffer/springs, IIRC.

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    I was blessed with long ape-like arms so too long isnt a issue. The A1 is a bit shorter but a bit hard to find and the materials arent as sturdy as current (Read A2 stock materials). Any recommendations for something fixed form a current stockmaker cause I havent had a lotta luck?

I think the old fixed stocks are ugly, and (obviously) too long for a carbine.

I always thought the Sully stock, however, was interesting.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    now I could be wrong but I thought I did the math a couple of years ago and a fully extended Magpul CTR was longer than an A2? Did I screw that up?

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I run an A2 on a 16" Midlength Gas-system AR15. The rifle buffer/midlength combination works great! The A2 balances the HBAR for me, and makes for a very handy carbine.

DSC05826.jpg

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Why is an A1 or A2 stock too long for a carbine?

It's not that its too long to fit on a carbine, but too long to shoulder well with the shooting styles commonly used with a carbine. However, as the OP has stated, his ape-like arms might be able to handle it.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    but too long to shoulder well with the shooting styles commonly used with a carbine.

Can you elaborate on the shooting styles you mention? Because, if you mean that an A1 or A2 can't be shoot just as fast and accurately as an adjustable stock, I think there is some examples to review that would prove otherwise.

I run an A2 and it's too short for me, but I'm 6'6".

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    The A2 was designed for the shooter to have his shoulders aligned with the target much like a traditional hunting rifle. Imagine a line going straight through each shoulder and pointing at the target. The A1 wasn't quite as dramatic as that.

That is contrasted with a carbine adjustable "Short length of pull" stock that allows the shoulders to either be at a 45 deg angle to the target or squared up with the target.

It has as much to do with the support hand as it does with the trigger hand.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Can you elaborate on the shooting styles you mention?

I'm speaking of a squared-up, facing-your-target, stock-tucked-deep shooting style, as opposed to the bladed stance of more traditional rifle shooting.

man-shooting-carbine-thumb3230633.jpg

versus. . .

600px-TopShotE4AR158.jpg

Because, if you mean that an A1 or A2 can't be shoot just as fast and accurately as an adjustable stock, I think there is some examples to review that would prove otherwise.

Nope, wasn't suggesting that at all.

I run an A2 and it's too short for me, but I'm 6'6".

It sounds like you're in the same camp as the OP.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Well, when you say "too long for a carbine", what you mean is too long for you and your shooting style. There are a lot of folks running 16-18" guns that shooting them fast and accurate at CQB distances and out to 400+ that only run A1 or A2 stocks.

If you only need one length of pull and an A2 works for you then there is no reason it can't be used on your gun.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    If you only need one length of pull and an A2 works for you then there is no reason it can't be used on your gun.

Absolutely. The OP was looking for opinions and I'm glad he got several here.

Dude, be sure to let us know what you finally come up with!

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Something to always keep in mind is that each shooter must find a set up that is compatible with their particular stance and hold of the rifle. While adjustable carbine stocks are often the norm on shorter weapons, and fixed on the longer weapons, either can work succesfully with both.

From a military stanpoint, there are good reasons for the different configurations, and I won't rehash that topic.

What you also see in many cases (just check some of the picture threads) is that guys that run carbine stocks often have them fully extended, thus making LOP about as long as a fixed A2 anyway. And, there are guys with longer arms that can square up to a target with the A2 stock just like guys with shorter arms can with the adjustable stocks.

Top Bottom