• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have an adjustable stock on my carbine. I prefer the feel of the fixed stock and wondered if I made the right choice in firearms. After taking a carbine course I learned that the collapsible stock on a fighting gun has its merits. Some of the positions you might shoot from are interesting. If I ever have the resources I would love to have an AR with traditional fixed stock and 20" barrel along with my carbine. Different guns for different uses.

pftraining_in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    IN: South of I-70
    Remember that the collapsible stock was designed for two reasons, make the rifle compact during vehicle movements and allow the rifle to be the same length when shouldered when wearing armorer.

I have a Sully stock on my department rifle and for me it is perfect as it is the same length as a collapsible stock one notch out from fully collapsed, which is where I set my collapsible stocks. Sully has a 1" extension to bring the stock to a A1 length if that is more what you are looking for. The price seems high, but the stock comes with the receiver extension and stock. If do not run your stocks this short or do not run armorer or chest rigs, the stock will be too short for you.

If you purchase one, the butt pad is extremely slick. I added spray on rubber coating to give the pad some grip. You have to prep the pad by sanding it prior to spraying as the pad has a coating that allows it to release from the mold when they make them and it will not hold a coating.

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    i had a fixed A2 stock on my carbine. i have a long neck and and arms. i'm 6'1" and i try buy shirts in tall sizes. i recently put a magpul ubr on it. but thinking of switching back because of the weight of it.

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    Think my minds made up for a fixed stock. The collapsible just isnt as comfortable to me (To each his own) I think my real question was about the buffers for a fixed stock on a carbine. Rifle carbine or carbine buffer???

Oh, and thanks all the responses.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Think my minds made up for a fixed stock. The collapsible just isnt as comfortable to me (To each his own) I think my real question was about the buffers for a fixed stock on a carbine. Rifle carbine or carbine buffer???

Oh, and thanks all the responses.

I believe you'll need to run the rifle buffer / spring combo with the fixed stock. I'm 99% sure you can't run a carbine buffer due to the extended tube length of the fixed stock.

IDCC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Orange County
    A while back in Harders gunshop( Shoals) I handled a handy lightweight build that he had done. A1 upper with lightweight 14.5" pinned and welded FH barrel on a A1 stocked lower. I shouldered it and felt great( I'm just a hair under 6'4")I liked it better than the A2 stocks but not as much as my SOPMOD. Great KISS carbine.

pftraining_in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    I think my real question was about the buffers for a fixed stock on a carbine. Rifle carbine or carbine buffer???

You run a rifle buffer with a A1 or A2 stock and a carbine buffer with everything else including the Sully.

Comparison of the Sully Standard Butt Pad vs a Magpul MOE 1 Click Out:

(This is the best Photo I have Right now)

compairson2-2.jpg

Sully

SullyR.jpg

SullyStockL.jpg

4PWW9

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Mishawaka
    Anybody actually see or get one of the Troy Battle Axe stocks yet?

Another thing to take into consideration is that there are still plenty of USMC and Army troops using the 20" M16 Rifle variants outs there with full buttstocks. Same platform, longer barrel, still govt issue.
    I prefer an adjustable stock but find myself extending it to the full extent to take long range shots, obviously due to my stance.

Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    Anybody actually see or get one of the Troy Battle Axe stocks yet?

Another thing to take into consideration is that there are still plenty of USMC and Army troops using the 20" M16 Rifle variants outs there with full buttstocks. Same platform, longer barrel, still govt issue.
    I prefer an adjustable stock but find myself extending it to the full extent to take long range shots, obviously due to my stance.

I was originally assigned an M16 A4, and when I was instructed on my new M4, every instructor (who actually knew which end of the rifle to point down range) taught us to keep the adjustable stock fully extended while shooting. Spent some time being trained by two SWAT instructors and a former 1st BAT e6 who all, even in CQB environments said keep that stock extended. I'm 5'8 160 dripping wet and can square up, run ready up drills and clear a building just a well if not better with a full A2 stock. I prefer it. I like the solid feel and the weight it adds to the rear of the rifle. It also is easier (for me) to fire one handed than with the collapsable (think radio mic in one hand rifle shouldered with the other) The only thing I like about the collapsable stock is that when I have to stow away the M4 in a vehicle or my pack its easier to do. It's all about how you train and what you train on.

pftraining_in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Instructors such a Pat Rogers and Louis Awerbuck and others recommend shortening the stock to what is comfortable and allows the body to be positioned with both shoulders squared to the target for better mobility and to use your body armor to it's greatest potential. Not knocking military trainers, but a lot of them are trained by the marksmanship unit, which are concerned with bullseye targets, tight groups and teaching one technique that works for every rifle including ones that do not collapse.

If most shotguns are made too long for proper fit, then so are rifles, that is why the adjustable stock is handy even for someone not kicking door or fighting on the two way range. Additionally if you ever plan on a female or a child shooting the rifle, you will want the adjustable stock.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Instructors such a Pat Rogers and Louis Awerbuck and others recommend shortening the stock to what is comfortable and allows the body to be positioned with both shoulders squared to the target for better mobility and to use your body armor to it's greatest potential.

This^. The "natural" bladed stance positions your armpit forward thereby opening up a huge gap in your body armor. Squaring up, while making you a larger target, makes your body armor much more effective.

If you aren't using body armor, blading your body is going to minimize your profile as well as being a generally more stable position.

That said, if you are going to wear plates or even a vest, it is just foolish to negate them by exposing your armpit/shoulder.

An A2 stock is going to fit the average person best in a bladed posture along the lines of a traditional offhand target stance.

If you are wanting to square up and run & gun; I would think that most people would be better served with something shorter. If you are someone who at times wears armor but not always, something adjustable might be helpful.

I generally go one click shorter on my vltor when wearing a vest and this gets things where I like them.

Best,

Joe

pftraining_in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    There is a great article in SWAT a few months ago written by a wounded warrior who is paralyzed from the waist down from a bullet injury. The article describes his injury and how he believes the outdated training of the military contributed to his injury. One of the outdated training points he discusses is the teaching of competition stances and how they placing our troops at a disadvantage. He believes the military has some of the best equipment available, however their teachings are reducing the equipment's effectiveness and the effectiveness of our warriors. A great article written from the pointing end of the spear's prospective.

Top Bottom