• Flying Old Glory in "Distress"

• Total voters

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    I have a question for all but really active and retired armed forces guys.....

Out of protest for our new POS I mean POTUS since Nov. 4th I have been flying My beautiful made in America embroidered flag in distress at full mast. I do not want to disrespect any vets or active duty people it is not that I don't love my country, I just feel she is in "distress".

Out of respect for our vets I will be flying her correctly all weekend. She is fully illuminated at night I have two 100 watt floods pointed right at her so I am not disrecting the flag I would hope.

Please if I could get your opinions on this it would be great.

And please don't light me up. I have explained my reasoning and am asking if it is offensive to anyone? My father who is an Army Vet and my grandfather who is a WWII Navy Vet do NOT feel as though I am being disrespectful I just want others opinions.

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    Thank you for voting please what ever you vote please explain why.....

I see 2 people already picked douchebag I though it would take longer. I will not get offended, please explain why you feel that why if you agree or disagree with me. I can only tell how others feel by what each of you tells me.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I am sorry to say, I do not think We the People have yet seen distress in Our Country. But, I see no dis-respect. It is your Right to Vote your Displeasure.

Last edited:

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    I agree with VN on this but I think we're heading down that road , so I voted your OK .

That said , good choice on flying it right this weekend .

For some "Joe's" this can be a REAL TOUCHY situation though , so be ready to catch some S**T over it .

If that's the way you truly feel about the country , then show it , but be ready to explain it .

DocGlock86

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Plainfield
    I'm not going to vote because I can see two sides to this. On one hand I see why flying the flag in distress and I agree with you. I am very disappointed on where this country is headed, even where it’s at. So I will not be the one to throw stones at you or anyone else.
    On the other hand I see the flag as showing respect and a memorial of the men and women who has sacrificed their all for me. I’m not flying the flag for the present or future but a reminder of the past.

Like I said no stones thrown here but I can see both sides of the fence.

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    I picked the "Greyman" option because I couldn't find anything better. I agree with your viewpoint on the direction the country is taking, and I do not feel offended by your choice of flag-ular orientation, I do not agree with the practice in this case.

The American public voted this chump into office, and I do not believe there was sufficient corruption of the vote to have infleuenced the outcome of the election. I believe that the majority of Obama voters made their choice on limited, biased, or no information or on the basis of race. In short, I despise BO's policies and guiding philosophy but I think the outcome of the vote satisfied the requirements of a legal election. I respect your right to show your displeasure, but feel that this usage is not within the confines of responsible use of the distress signal.

Old Salt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    Avon
    I understand why you choose to fly the flag this way, and have no issue with you. In my opinion the country is going to hell quickly, but I don't believe we have reached the distress point yet. If things do not change in 2010, then I believe we will really see distress.

Mr.Hoppes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen IN
    On my Home I fly the flag in the correct orientation. On my Vehicle I fly it upside down.

I do this because my family resides in our home and the extreme have gone to great lenghts to punish those who fly upside down. I don't want My point of view to bring the wrath on them.

I choose my vehicle because although my family may or may not be with me I am more vigilant and aware or surroundings when out and about.

That said as a Disabled Veteran I make it clear I respect the flag and The country for which it represents. But this country has been in distress for some time now. Not the worst distress it will see, but the beginning. That is why the flag is displayed , to warn, that we are in distress. This country is so far down the slope, in my opinion, that I don't see a recovery.

I am not advocating or planning over through of this government but I believe when the real distress comes, the government we end up with will not resemble the one we have today.

By displaying the flag in this manor I let those who are aware, that there are others out here who are also aware.

:ranton:

The real question I think is not if we are or aren't in distress but at what degree or measure of distress is it appropriate to fly the flag this way?

Do we need be at war? We are at WAR!

DO we need be under attack? We've been attacked

DO we need to loose the values upon which the country was founded?
    WE ARE LOOSING THEM EVERY DAY!

It reminds me of the parable / story: When they came for..

I believe this way of life FREEDOM is worth the fight. I believe those who wait won't be able to fight because our freedoms are being eroded every day. I believe that there is a price to be paid for freedom even today. I believe if We as Americans wait until the writing, is written in blood the fight will have been lost all ready.

These are MY opinions. I may be right or I may be wrong but they are opinions. I haven't wavered in my beliefs. The things we talked about years ago being wrong and everyone said it's OK, it's safer this way. SAFER maybe but that safety comes at the expense of freedom. Think how many things the government controls in your life everyday. Your food, Your smoking, Your Seat belts, Your Voting, and the list goes on and on.

Freedom isn't easy or without responsibilities, but it is worth it.

Whoa!
    OK , getting a cup of coffee.

Hope I didn't offend for it wasn't my intent.

Last edited:

syntax357

Plinker
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Syracuse, Indiana
    Ya know if things dont change soon, we might not be able to fly the flag the way we want. I keep sayin it! dont trust 'em. The government is slowly takin over things and misdirecting people, um wait, sheeple. Mike stick to how you feel, We are all in the same boat and its sinking fast.

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    I have flow a new flag every year for the past 12 years. After this election, I stopped this practice.
    I will not fly it upside-down, or put black tassles on it. I just refuse to acknowledge that this current administration represents America. Therefore, the flag will not be displayed until the American values for which it stands return to this nation.
    I mean no dissrespect to the flag, only to the the administration that currently does not respect the constitution.
    :soapbox:

Agent 007

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    I see no difference between flying the flag upside down or burning it. Both are a pathetic display of disrespect to the symbol of our nation, which many great men and women have fought and died for. Using our nation's colors as a vehicle for political protest is disgusting, IMHO. People who fly Old Glory upside down are displaying their PERSONAL distress, not the type of actual distress allowed for in US Code and the traditions of our nation.

THE FLAG CODE
    Title 36, U.S.C., Chapter 10
    As amended by P.L. 344, 94th Congress
    Approved July 7, 1976

§ 176. Respect for flag: No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.

(a)
    The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.

Funny how people went ape **** over the American citizen who was flying a Mexican flag over the American flag in front of his business, but are seemingly not bothered (or are even supportive) of a similar violation of the flag code and show of disrespect to our flag when it suits their personal political feelings.

Our flag and what it symbolizes mean too much to me to use it as a prop in some damned political protest. This nation has weathered greater storms than the election of this latter day Jimmy Carter, and we will survive. Those who think we are in dire distress don't know the meaning of "distress," and their immediate panic and drama show what little they think of the greatness of this nation and its citizens.

And yes, I am a veteran. My :twocents:.

:patriot:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    The reason to fly the flag upside down. At a Military base, fort etc. is to show that those stationed there are under distress. I personally find it disrespectful. For any civilian, veteran or not to do so. Now if we where in a state of war on our homeland, and you did so I would not see it as disrespectful. That's my :twocents:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have flow a new flag every year for the past 12 years. After this election, I stopped this practice.
    I will not fly it upside-down, or put black tassles on it. I just refuse to acknowledge that this current administration represents America. Therefore, the flag will not be displayed until the American values for which it stands return to this nation.
    I mean no disrespect to the flag, only to the the administration that currently does not respect the constitution.
    :soapbox:

The thing is, if you let people see that more will follow suite. Same goes with the Government. If you truly believe in something, no one or anything should change that. I have two National Ensigns in my home. I would never, under any circumstance take them down.

teknickle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    God's Country
    Interesting pic

Interesting pic I found online last year:
    default.jpg

If anyone reads this and reacts like _i_ am the crazy one, maybe you should wait 48 hours before responding and do some home work.

Blind allegiance is not patriotic, it is called nationalism.
    I believe in hard working Americans having the freedoms that our forefathers fought for and paid with their lives for.
    While I admire those serving, they are taking directives from those whom are far separated from the ideals and mores of those founding fathers.

Spending $3Billion a week to expand an empire while workers here in US lose homes and jobs is a disgrace. It's like having an extravagant patron of a strip club spend gobs of money on booze and dancers while his own children are starving at home.
    All in the name of 'progress' towards globalization.
    The sovereignty of the US is being shaken from its foundation.

Only a fool would call this a conspiracy.
    Look at the military-industrial complex that has profited off the deaths of Americans and foreigners alike.
    Special interests have overrun our food supplies (GMO foods snuffing out small farmers), ironed out our borders (while harrassing good citizens for sake of security), pushing 'mother earth' more important than Human life!

By the time others deem we are 'in distress', it will be too late.
    People need to wake up now. Turn off the idiot box.
    Enough is enough. No more bailouts for banks that had made lucrative returns on subprimes. The answer is not a larger, bureacratic machine to 'fix' everything.

The answer is go back to Constitution and the Representative Republic that started this country.

Top Bottom