• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    I have an opportunity to get a sectional aluminum flag pole to put in my yard. It's a 20 ft sectional type. I've looked but don't see how sturdy sectional poles tend to be. Obviously a 1 PC is better but if this will work for my occasional 70 mph storm gusts we have around here then great . This one appears to be around 16 GA. or thicker, which to me seems a little light as I had been experimenting with making my own out of EMT . Maybe that the pole being round gives it the strength it needs. Has anyone had experience with sectional poles good or bad?

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    I have had a sectional pole for almost five years and have not had a problem with it. I know of 3 occasions when winds were in excess of 60 mph and it held up fine. Be sure to plant them below the freeze line in a rubber boot (usually comes with the kit) and use plenty of concrete. Also be sure that the top couple of inches of the boot are above the top of the concrete.

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Put in a sectional pole about twenty years ago - no problems. There has been a few times (think Kokomo tornado events) when it was nice to just be able to pull the pole out of the section that is cemented in and lay it on the ground next to the house.

Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    Brandon, Can you recall any circumstances when those poles failed. Actually, the one I'm speaking of would be coming from Lowes. Very interested in your experiences.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I bought mine from Harbor freight. It has been up for five years now with no problems. I live in a residential area that is not out in the open.

Top Bottom