• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ae168504

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Anyone know a welder familar with welding over a pinned flash hider on my barrel in the Indianapolis area? I will drill and pin the flash hider if I can find a welder to spot weld over the pin. Any info appreciated.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I think the statute says "permanently attached". Don't take what I"m saying to the bank but I would think with it drilled and pinned some JB weld over the pin would make you legal.

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]

ae168504

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Indianapolis
    ATF DOC 26 U.S.C. 5845(c)

Here is what the ATF doc says about this:
    2.1.3 Rifle​
    . A rifle is a firearm designed to be fired from the shoulder and designed to use the energy of an explosive in a fixed cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled barrel for each single pull of the trigger.11 A rifle subject to the NFA has a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length.
    The ATF procedure for measuring barrel length is to measure from the closed bolt (or breech-face) to the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device. Permanent methods of attachment include full-fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding, high-temperature (1100°F) silver soldering, or blind pinning with the pin head welded over. Barrels are measured by inserting a dowel rod into the barrel until the rod stops against the bolt or breech-face. The rod is then marked at the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device, withdrawn from the barrel, and measured."

11 26 U.S.C. 5845(c)

Gibster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Boone County
    TIG (heliarc) weld would be my choice. Good welder could do each side in 10 seconds or less of arc time. Then cool with wet rag after 30 seconds or so.

It takes a long time to get to 1200 degrees even with a 6,000 degree oxy-acetylene flame. Electric arc approximately 12,000 degrees.

Top Bottom