• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    How do you prefer to carry your EDC defensive flashlight? Pocket or holster/pouch carry?

Granted some light are small enough to carry comfortably in your pocket. But what about the "larger" ones?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I prefer a stout pocket clip. I picked a light that was small enough to fit in my front pants pocket yet large enough to also use as an improvised impact tool (PT2L).

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I prefer a stout pocket clip. I picked a light that was small enough to fit in my front pants pocket yet large enough to also use as an improvised impact tool (PT2L).

esrice beat me to it, I also carry a PT2l in my front left pocket (I am right handed). The pocket clip holds it in pretty well and keep the tail cap high enough to get a grip on it to pull it out. Light in the left pocket, knife in the right pocket, .40 on the hip.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I carry it in my pocket, with a pocket clip, and with a lanyard hanging from the pocket for a quick draw with both hands.
    It's either a 1 AA or a 2 AA flashlight, so they fit good in the pocket.
    I found the holsters to be too slow to deploy the light and too bulky.

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    Pocket clip here too. I use a streamlight microstream, and its one AAA battery produces plenty of light for 99% of the time I need a flashlight.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    I've got a Blackhawk flashlight that 99% of the time gets dropped into the left cargo pocket and that's that, it's long enough that the tailcap is always oriented up and forward and I keep it alone in that pocket so I never have to dig. With the cooler weather settling back in I've been making more use of the Blackhawk light holster for it, it's comfortable and easy to use, but my elbow has a tendency to unlock the tailcap so the $15 a pair CR123s are at greater risk there.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    My EDC light is a Streamlight Polytac.

polytac_angle2_enlarged.jpg

And it sits in a Fobus 6900SF flashlight and mag holder on my weak side.

sf6900-001.jpg

I also have a cheap solar LED light on my key chain and sometimes a small Pelican light in my pocket..

Last edited:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Im amazed that people use flashlights with no lanyard.
    Now that I have one in all my light I cant not use a light with no lanyard anymore.
    You can use it for so many thing, pull the light out of your pocket, hold the light around your wrist or finger while you keep both hands free, hanging the light inside a tent, to a brench, a hook or whatever ... so many uses.
    A pocket clip is also good, besides holding the light in your pocket, to keep it from rolling on flat surfaces.

812homes4u

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    Columbus
    I would like to see which models people use the most. I would like to buy a good light but I cant justify 100 bucks on something Im not sure is gonna be much better then the 5 dollar knock off I bought at the INDY 1500 2 years ago.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I would like to see which models people use the most. I would like to buy a good light but I cant justify 100 bucks on something Im not sure is gonna be much better then the 5 dollar knock off I bought at the INDY 1500 2 years ago.

You dont need to spend 100 dollars on a light, but if you do it sure will be far better than any light you can get for 5 dollars.

I just EDC a $50-$60 flashlight, waterproof, shockproof, not too bright if you dont need lots of light (10 lumens) but also has a high mode if you need more light (250 lumens), and a few other modes, runs on cheap AA batteries easy to find anywhere, slim enough to fit in the pocket.

lampe-ledwave-mk-20.jpg

Davegrave

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 16, 2011
    Hammond, IN

Like Sylvain said, you don't need to go $100. But do yourself a favor and drop $40-$50 on a Fenix or Streamlight or Quark.

You'll never use a $5 light again. It really is that much better. All these guys aren't just nuts, I used to think so too. but a light that's useful and tough and doesn't fail you you LIGHTS what you want it to....it's a great thing.

Hell, spend $20 on this: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Fenix-Flashlights-E05-R2-Flashlight/dp/B004D2A02O/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_img_b]Amazon.com: Fenix E05 R2 Flashlight: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

small enough for a keyring, and lights a room DARN NEAR as well as a 3 cell maglight. On 1 AAA battery.

Apokalypsi

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Speedway
    I carry a Fenix LD10R5 in my front pants pocket every day. 100 lumens, 1 AA battery, 4 output levels, regular and SOS strobe, and only $50 on Amazon. I adore it and probably won't change to anything else.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have a nice custom built Raven holster. It lives in the truck bag.:( A couple thoughts:

- At night, in the dark, the light should be IN YOUR HAND, not on your belt.
    - A light on your belt, near your mags, is gonna be a problem when under stress. Too much opportunity to come up with the wrong thing in your hand at a critical time.

I carry a day/admin light in my shirt pocket. The real light, Fenix TK12, has a fairly unreliable clip. It fits obnoxiously in a pants pocket, but it does. I really prefer a pullover over shirt with a sweatshirt type front pocket. The Fenix can stay in the pocket, preferably lanyard-ed to my left hand.

Little tiny lights are cool for emergencies, but my main lights need to work as striking tools also. It makes defense fairly straight forward. If someone is foolish enough to advance on my eyeball melting beam, I give them the hammer.

Last edited:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Like Sylvain said, you don't need to go $100. But do yourself a favor and drop $40-$50 on a Fenix or Streamlight or Quark.

You'll never use a $5 light again. It really is that much better. All these guys aren't just nuts, I used to think so too. but a light that's useful and tough and doesn't fail you you LIGHTS what you want it to....it's a great thing.

Hell, spend $20 on this: Amazon.com: Fenix E05 R2 Flashlight: Sports & Outdoors

small enough for a keyring, and lights a room DARN NEAR as well as a 3 cell maglight. On 1 AAA battery.

This, get yourself a Fenix!

Fenix is a good brand and you get lots of light for your money.
    Not like some other brands, like Surefire, that are overpriced in my opinion.Because they used to be the only game in town for tactical light they think they can charge you $150 for a 60 lumens non-LED light.

I used to use $1 light (bought at home depot, 10 for $10).
    I still use them but only inside my home, I wouldnt trust them outside with rain and wind, they break if you drop them, they dont always turn on when you click the switch and they are just bright enough to light up a small room in case the power goes off.

812homes4u

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    Columbus
    What model is this picture?

You dont need to spend 100 dollars on a light, but if you do it sure will be far better than any light you can get for 5 dollars.

I just EDC a $50-$60 flashlight, waterproof, shockproof, not too bright if you dont need lots of light (10 lumens) but also has a high mode if you need more light (250 lumens), and a few other modes, runs on cheap AA batteries easy to find anywhere, slim enough to fit in the pocket.

lampe-ledwave-mk-20.jpg

theledwarehouse

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Vicksburg, MI

Worlds of difference! I'd recommend picking something off our used/demo page. You'll save some money that way and still get a good light.

Used Flashlights

But... the top 5 sellers at the moment are:

1. 4Sevens S12 - Just an awesome package!
    2. 4Sevens Quark X 123^2 (reg and tac versions)
    3. 4Sevens Mini X
    4. 4Sevens Quark AA^2 R5 Edition
    5. Surefire G2X

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    What model is this picture?

That's a Ledwave MK 20.
    Not sure if they are known (or even sold) in the US, it's from a Spanish company that makes flashlight for LEOs and military.Bought in Europe.

That's just like the Fenix LD 20, the body looks very much alike but I think the Ledwave is brighter (250 lumens max).

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    812homes, if you can borrow a flashlight from a friend, or INGO menber, for a few days or even few hours, you will see why they are superior to cheap flashlights.
    And you will want one right away.
    There is no reason not getting one, they are not that expensive.
    Most people have no problem spending $500 on a handgun, but dont want to spend more than $30 on flashlight.
    Without a good light yout gun is useless at night, so spend $50 on a good light.

Top Bottom