• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Interesting dillema as this was the first year I took a tree climber stand into the woods with me.

What might be the consequences of "strapping" a small flashlight to my deer rifle? Could it be construed as I'm out spotlighting?

Walking out to your spot in the dark, both shoulders occupied by the tree climber (no place to left for the rifle), the rifle in one hand the flashlight in the other, not a hand left for moving branches out of the way or for grasping when climbing over a fallen tree.

thoughts?

tooleman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    I use a headlamp has three different colors green red and white. Something to consider keeping the shells out of the gun until you get to your tree. I have a sumit with saddle bags that I keep shells in so that if I am stopped it doesn't look as bad.

Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    There are many headlamp style lights on the market. Some have a strap that goes around your head and others clip on the bill of your hat.
    Some are cheap and have bright LED bulbs with green, white and red color that work well
    When using a climbing stand I always attached my fanny pack or back pack onto the stand before i put it on my shoulders.
    That way my shells , extra gloves , hand warmers , snacks , knife , tags for tagging any deer , extra hoist rope , calls and anything else one may need while deer hunting can be taking with me and I still have my hands free for my gun and moving branches etc.
    Also don't forget if you don't use a backpack or fanny pack , you still have pockets in your jacket and pants for your shells etc.

its never been a problem for me
    A little prep time before season to make sure everything is in order and things go a lot smoother during season

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    thoughts?

Sling arms so you have a hand free for the flashlight and you don't risk pointing a gun at anyone.

Could it be construed as I'm out spotlighting?

You are out of the car but do you really want to explain to the state trooper in green that you are just passing through on your way to your tree?

IC 14-22-6-7
    Jacklighting prohibited
    Sec. 7. (a) This section does not apply to an employee of the department or an employee of a federal wildlife management agency who:
    (1) is acting in the performance of the employee's duties; and
    (2) has received the express written consent of the director for the employee's action.
    (b) A person may not knowingly throw or cast the rays of any spotlight or other artificial light:
    (1) not required by law on a motor vehicle; and
    (2) in search of or upon any wild bird or wild animal;
    from a vehicle while the person possesses a firearm, bow, or crossbow, if by throwing or casting the rays a wild bird or wild animal could be killed. This subsection applies even though the animal is not killed, injured, shot at, or otherwise pursued.
    (c) A person may not take any wildlife, except furbearing mammals, with the aid of illumination of any spotlight, searchlight, or other artificial light.
    (d) A person may not shine a spotlight, searchlight, or other artificial light for the purpose of taking, attempting to take, or assisting another person to take a deer.

Sling the rifle up, keep your hands free for the light and branches and avoid the hassle.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    get a head lamp and a sling that will allow you to carry the rifle across your chest if you cant carry on your shoulders because of the tree stand.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Thanks, guys. A headlamp was kind of a no-brianer, wasn't it? :n00b:

Now I'm going to have to listen to my wife say YET AGAIN, "Don't you have enough flashlights yet?"

Kirk, that section of code is exactly why I was looking for another alternative. No, I don't want to do ANY explaining. And DEFINTELY not a good idea from the standpoint of "ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction."

Last edited:
    Top Bottom