• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • john67103

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 6, 2009
    Fishers
    If you haven't heard about 4sevens and the quark line you should check them out. 4Sevens - 4Sevens.Com they previously just sold lights on there site but a year or 2 ago they took all the suggestions they had recieved and started making their own. The quark is like legos you can start with one light then get a couple of different bodies for different batteries. They also have an awesome penlight line the Preon's I carry a Preon 1 single AAA all the time and its works great. Shockproof, waterproof and a nice tacky but not rough grip.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    I haven't seen the Fenix light before. It looks interesting.

I have an Olight M20 as well as an Olight M21. I haven't had a problem and they suit my needs. The only drawback (for me) is that they require two hands when changing light settings (low, med, high and strobe). They do come with a removable striking bezel, lanyard, clip, case, etc.

On a side note, I also carry a Photon Micro light for my utility light needs. An Olight Warrior and a Photon Micro are all I've ever needed.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Flashlight Comparison

Initially I thought about making this into a stand-alone review, but later decided that I don't have enough pictures to justify one. However, I think this thread could benefit from the following information.

This past Sunday, while doing some testing on AR compensators and flash suppressors, tyler34, theweakerbrother, lovemywoods, and myself took a few minutes to compare several lights side-by-side.

We first spent some time going over each one and looking at their functions and specs. Then later we stood on the lake dam and compared each light's 'throw' by aiming them at a target stand 206 yards away, and then at the lake dock about 20 yards away.

First, the lights. . . .

20fubnl.jpg

The numbers:

• Streamlight MicroStream - 20 lumens - $15
    • Romisen RC-A4 (NiteCore Extreme Tactical knockoff) - 150 lumens - $15
    • Streamlight PT-2L - 180 lumens - $50
    • Fenix PD30 - 235 lumens - $32
    • Inova T2 - 140 lumens - $50
    • Fenix TK15 - 337 lumens - $80
    • Olight M20 R5 Warrior - 320 lumens - $80
    • Fenix TK40 - 630 lumens - $130
    • Power On Board HID Spotlight - 3,500 lumens - $100

What follows are some simple observations made by myself based upon what I saw.

• The MicroStream, even at 20 lumens, is plenty bright enough to take a walk through the woods at night. But, it has a very short throw.
    • The Romisen could light up the dock just fine. If you want a lot of light in a small package, check this one out. It is too small, however, to be used as an impact weapon.
    • The PT-2L gets points for switchology. All functions can be done with the thumb, which is easy when its dark, and when you have gloves on. Its a good size for pocket carry, and its big enough to use as an impact weapon. It lit up the dock just fine, but couldn't reach the target stand.
    • The PD30 is the same size as the PT-2L, but boasts more lumens. The real-world difference was minimal, but the PD30's throw seemed more "clear". I'm not a fan of the clicky tailcap, as there is no momentary ability.
    • The T2 is older technology and it shows. For the price I'd just assume have another PT-2L.
    • The TK15 is a BRIGHT light. It was able to light up the target stand. While you would be able to see a person that far out, you wouldn't be able to tell any details. Though I feel its size is too large for everyday carry, it would be perfect for uniform carry-- especially if you were a county deputy. I didn't like the mode selector button on the side because I couldn't find it in the dark! It sits flush so as not to be hit accidentally, but this makes it very difficult to locate it in the environment in which you would typically use it (the dark!).
    • The M20 is very similar to the TK15, but differs in several key areas. Their beams were very similar, and I couldn't tell any difference in their throw. However, the M20's mode selector is more user-friendly in the dark (you twist the head 1/8" and back). It also has a memory, so it will turn on with whatever mode you were last using. I also like how it is user customizable, as I can remove the cigar ring, pocket clip, and front strike bezel as I see fit.
    • The TK40 takes 'throw' to another level. It lit up the target stand, and you'd be able to tell if someone that far away was wearing glasses, or had something in their hands. This would make an excellent search and rescue light, as it would fit in a small pack easily, and takes readily available AA batteries (8).
    • The HID Spotlight from Power On Board is in a league of its own. It lit up the target stand like it was daylight. When we pointed it skyward it looked like a spotlight for a movie premier. It has a white color that makes finer details stand out, even at distance. This would make a killer search and rescue rig if you were in a boat or vehicle. At 13lbs it would be a bit much to lug around on foot, although it did have a shoulder strap.
    At the end of the day, I think the Streamlight PT-2L and Fenix PD30 have a nice balance of price, light output, and size. For more specific roles, the others could just about handle both ends of the spectrum.

I'll have a more thorough and comprehensive comparison of the Fenix TK15 and Olight M20 R5 Warrior at a later date, after I've had some more time with them.

:ingo:

Last edited:

Bshaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Kokomo
    Light

I recently upgraded from a Surefire G-2 (older model, 60 lumens) to a Surefire E2D (Newest model, 200 lumens) I carry this almost daily and I must say I like the E2D a lot better ,not only for the increase in lumens, but the self defense (bezeled forend) aspect of the light also. The tail switch ( love that ) was the thing that prompted me to look at the E2D in the first place.

col132

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2010
    An affordable, all around excellent light is the Surefire G2, or whatever the model designation is for the same model of that light in LED.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Made a trip to Gander today. Ran into ingo member Crow and Coyote. Played with a couple lights and ended up with this. Yes it was a bit more then what I had budgeted but it felt good in my hand and very bright.

utf-8BSU1HMDAwNzMtMjAxMDExMjYtMjExNS5qcGc.jpg

one more

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    doesnt anyone use maglites any more ?

kickbacked, I got my first Mag 32 years ago,(from the local Snap-On Tool Dealer) at that time they were top dog.

Try out a Surefire, Streamlight, Fenix, NovaTac, JetBeam, etc. and you will see why not.
    revance, I will say I was impressed by the new wave LED lights, but I had those Mags :dunno:

I stuck a SSC P7 direct drive into a 3D Maglite with an MOP reflector....I love that Maglite....Infact I dont know why maglite don't do it themselves???

I will check into these for the old ones. Thanks for the information. :yesway:

But with Lowes having the 2nd G, LED Mags on sell for Black Friday I got a couple. (Was looking for a SureFire or a Mag XL100 or XL50) Tried them out at home in a closed dark room comparing to the old Mags I have. The LED's have a white light, much better then the yellow light of the older ones. All the Old Mags I have still have the "White Star Krypton" (bought way to many once when they were on sell, and I know they are still in the House somewhere:dunno: )bulbs, I have not tried the newer "Xenon" bulbs yet.
    I Went back to the store and got a few more for gifts and for myself.
    If you can get to Lowes before they are all gone you can not beat the sell price! :twocents: :)

one more

PS. esrice, thanks for the reveiw! Great Information :yesway:.

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    But with Lowes having the 2nd G, LED Mags on sell for Black Friday I got a couple. (Was looking for a SureFire or a Mag XL100 or XL50) Tried them out at home in a closed dark room comparing to the old Mags I have. The LED's have a white light, much better then the yellow light of the older ones. All the Old Mags I have still have the "White Star Krypton" (bought way to many once when they were on sell, and I know they are still in the House somewhere:dunno: )bulbs, I have not tried the newer "Xenon" bulbs yet.
    I Went back to the store and got a few more for gifts and for myself.
    If you can get to Lowes before they are all gone you can not beat the sell price! :twocents: :)

I saw the 2 & 3 D mag lights with LED at Lowes yesterday. Only $14.99! Normally these are $30 lights. It cost me $15 just to upgrade one of my existing maglites to the LED. I almost picked up another one, but I already have 2 of them. For the money they are great lights and I use them all the time. If they are still on sell I would encourage people to go get one.

Top Bottom