• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I Like Firearms

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Well I have a saiga 12 that I would like to add a flashlight 2.. What is to bright? How many lumens? What about lasers? Pointless?

Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    Well I have a saiga 12 that I would like to add a flashlight 2.. What is to bright? How many lumens? What about lasers? Pointless?

laser on a shotgun is pretty much pointless. If you're looking to use for home / personal defense you most likely won't be using it past a few feet so accuracy isn't a big deal... small caliber handgun maybe but no real need on a shotgun.

As far as lights go again depends on the use. Is it a trunk gun or a bed room gun? You may want to hit wally world and pic up some cheap coleman flashlights with various strengths and try them out in your dark house. You want to light up the area as well as blind the bad guy, but you don't want to blind yourself! Think about mirrors, sliding glass doors windows etc, the reflection off of those using really bright lights will temporarily mess you up! Try some things out and find a balance. If it's a trunk gun I'd say brighter = better.

zip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    What is to bright? How many lumens?

For me personally, If i can point it away from me in a pitch black room and turn it on with out "dazzling" me it's fine. I carry a Nitecore NDI rated at 145 lumens. It seems to blind everyone else but not me.

r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    For inside use after just waking up anything over a 100 lms or so will probably be too much. A surefire G2LED might be a good place to start or maybe a 1st gen streamlight TLR-1. If you get a G2 and want more light you can always buy a higher power drop-in LED for less than $20.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I've looked into a similar thing for home defense and I have to agree with the 100 lumens being the bench mark for the lights, I would prefer one with a flashing sequence built into it but you can do it with your finger on the pad but thats an opinion.

I also am under the opinion that the laser as an aiming device is of arguable use BUT the laser as a deterrent is a major factor. The humans are very susceptible to what we think is going on and a laser is a huge psychological advantage. If you could avoid yanking the trigger because a guy saw a laser dot on his chest and gave up it might save your financial life

but to your main question, I think 100 lm should be a goal in a light, and there are some less expensive lights out by streamlight and Mag that I've had good luck with.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Too bright might reflect off of a surface and dim your vision. I think there are lights all the way to 220 lumens our there but I've never been in the dark with them. There are some excelent flashlight forums

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Too bright might reflect off of a surface and dim your vision. I think there are lights all the way to 220 lumens our there but I've never been in the dark with them. There are some excelent flashlight forums

Ever walk into a very dark place after coming in from nothing but a bright sunny day? Stumble around a bit???

Key to using a very bright flashlight in a dark situation 1 eye open, 1 eye closed. You hit someone in the middle of the night in the eyes with a 200 lumen or brighter light and for a second or two you have a tactical advantage if you have one eye closed when this is done.

Hit them with a quick .2 -.3 second blast. BG's pupil's are going to slam shut like a sphincter does on a diarrhea run.:D

In that moment you're closing one eye opening the other and you have the advantage for a mere second before his night vision returns. This may be all you have to gain a tactical adavantage that could save your life.

Top Bottom