• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Look buddy, a 250 lumen USB rechargeable Streamlight Microstream. Built in hat clip. :rockwoot:

stream.jpg

Streamlight Introduces Rechargeable Microstream USB | Down Range TV

All for under $40. Take me money now please!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Get yourself a surefire lumamax Lx2, and an E series pocket clip, as the factory one is prone to breaking. If you want a light that has lo/hi momentary, this is the best light by far. The momentary switch is low when pressed slightly, and when pressed all the way down it’s full output, but in either position it can be released immediately. Then to keep it on you twist slightly for li and twist more for high. No clicky switch, no BS strobe mode, it’s the best EDC light that stays uncompromising in the features necessary to be a true tactical light. It runs on 123’s but they last decently long if you use it on lo when using it for everyday illumination. Other lights mentioned in this thread are decent, namely streamlight, but no other company understands tactically what it is to be a fighting flashlight. They get the features wrong. Every. Time. I’m chronically frugal with gear but sometimes you spec out features you need and there really only arises one model or brand. Also it’s a good size to use as a striking tool in nonpermissive environments on on the lower end of the force continuum if you aren’t justified in using a gun.

For you.

I think a light whose default mode is to always come on at the low setting is irritating and next to useless to me.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    A fighting flashlight? Do those come with MOLLE or have a mount for a chainsaw bayonet?

I personally love an EDC light that starts at its low setting then gets brighter, so I don't blow my night vision out looking for something at relatively close range. I also know that much like firearms, there are different flashlights for different purposes and for some purposes, my biggest concern would be ALL TEH LUMENS!!1! when turned on.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    For you.

I think a light whose default mode is to always come on at the low setting is irritating and next to useless to me.

I like the Klarus lights with their dual swtiches.

I often use the lowest setting (10 lumens), that's enough to navigate in total darkness and see what's under your feet.

But I still get to have fast access to the brightness setting using the other switch if I want to see farther away or momentary blind someone.

You can also program the light to have one switch for the highest mode and another one for the strobe.

maxresdefault.jpg

My previous EDC light was 50 lumens at the lowest mode and I often found it too bright.I like 10 lumens better.

I find the low mode quite usefull.I wouldn't mind having something even dimer like 1 lumen or 0.5 lumens to read maps at night while preserving your night vision.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    A fighting flashlight? Do those come with MOLLE or have a mount for a chainsaw bayonet?

I personally love an EDC light that starts at its low setting then gets brighter, so I don't blow my night vision out looking for something at relatively close range. I also know that much like firearms, there are different flashlights for different purposes and for some purposes, my biggest concern would be ALL TEH LUMENS!!1! when turned on.

My light is a 3 mode. High, low then strobe. When I need low, it won't be in a hurry, so I put it against my leg, click it twice, then pull it up to use it.

Personally, I'd rather have it on high at an instant when I need it most.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I like the Klarus lights with their dual swtiches.

I often use the lowest setting (10 lumens), that's enough to navigate in total darkness and see what's under your feet.

But I still get to have fast access to the brightness setting using the other switch if I want to see farther away or momentary blind someone.

You can also program the light to have one switch for the highest mode and another one for the strobe.

My previous EDC light was 50 lumens at the lowest mode and I often found it too bright.I like 10 lumens better.

I find the low mode quite usefull.I wouldn't mind having something even dimer like 1 lumen or 0.5 lumens to read maps at night while preserving your night vision.

I find a low setting very useful too, not as my only choice when I first touch a switch!

The Klarus lights are emerging as another viable brand. I have a few of them, including the latest I keep in my backpack. On its highest setting, it's 1600 lumens, has good throw for a small diameter reflector, and the distinctly different switches on the tail cap like in your photo. I didn't realize I could program the switches! I think I'll make the rubber switch come on as high and the paddle come on as low.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I find a low setting very useful too, not as my only choice when I first touch a switch!

The Klarus lights are emerging as another viable brand. I have a few of them, including the latest I keep in my backpack. On its highest setting, it's 1600 lumens, has good throw for a small diameter reflector, and the distinctly different switches on the tail cap like in your photo. I didn't realize I could program the switches! I think I'll make the rubber switch come on as high and the paddle come on as low.

Is it the Klarus XT2CR by any chance?
    It comes from the factory with one switch being strobe and the other being the highest mode.
    But you can get rid of the strobe and have the paddle switch be for the lowest mode instead.
    You will lose the strobe fonction if you do that but I don't use it anyway.
    You can stil manually do a strobe with the momentary on switch if you really need to start a disco party or signal to somone.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Is it the Klarus XT2CR by any chance?
    It comes from the factory with one switch being strobe and the other being the highest mode.
    But you can get rid of the strobe and have the paddle switch be for the lowest mode instead.
    You will lose the strobe fonction if you do that but I don't use it anyway.
    You can stil manually do a strobe with the momentary on switch if you really need to start a disco party or signal to somone.

You are correct!

I also have little need for the strobe. The only times I've used strobes were when I was signalling oncoming traffic on the freeway because a AAA guy was on the ground working on my truck and vehicles were not slowing or moving to the other lane and during night shoots as distractions.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    You are correct!

I also have little need for the strobe. The only times I've used strobes were when I was signalling oncoming traffic on the freeway because a AAA guy was on the ground working on my truck and vehicles were not slowing or moving to the other lane and during night shoots as distractions.

:rockwoot:

It's my EDC light! I'm happy with it so far, especially since I got rid of the strobe.

I also used the strobe at night one time to direct a responding ambulance to the correct address.
    It was in a street with no street lights and they couldn't find the correct house.
    I saw the ambulance's flashlight blue lights 200 yards away so I strobed it to get their attention then strobed the house they were looking for and they found it rigth away.
    In a rural area with no street lights you can see a strobing light from many hundreds of yards away.
    I was only using a 100 lumens lights but it had a good throw and it reached the end of that street where that ambulance was.

The XTCR has a momentary on swtich so you can recreate the strobe mode even if you got rid of the actual strobe.
    If you can make it flash slower too if you just want to signal to someone.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    My light is a 3 mode. High, low then strobe. When I need low, it won't be in a hurry, so I put it against my leg, click it twice, then pull it up to use it.

That's a fair preference.

Thankfully, Streamlight Ten-Tap lets me choose Low/High or High/Low/Strobe (which IMO is useless, I'd rather have a <5lumen mode).

My EDC light has become a Fenix E12 and I LOVE the low/mid/hi setting, but it is a small 1-AA light that easily fits into a pocket and wouldn't be my first choice for clearing a house with my Glock.

Again, just like firearms there are different flashlights for different purposes and for an "all-purpose" solution there are compromises to be made based on personal preferences.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'll toss another plug in for Olight. My S1R Baton has several brightness modes up to 900 lumens and you can select which will come on when you hit the switch. A press and hold on the switch to activate the light gives you .5 lumen "moonlight" mode. It's rechargeable and the charger works off of the magnetic base so no removing batteries or plugging in cables. The magnetic base is also strong enough to hold the flashlight in various positions to you can use it hands free. It does have strobe mode but it requires triple tapping the switch so it may as well not be there which is fine by me.

https://olightworld.com/led-flashlights/camping-outdoor/olight-s1r-baton

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.

Precisely. This is the way my "tactical" light is set up. It is really the only way it is going to do me much good. Much the same way that my primary defensive handgun isn't going to be in an ankle holster with an unloaded chamber. That is why I also carry a Streamlight Stylus Pro as a everyday work light in addition to my PD35.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Precisely. This is the way my "tactical" light is set up. It is really the only way it is going to do me much good. Much the same way that my primary defensive handgun isn't going to be in an ankle holster with an unloaded chamber. That is why I also carry a Streamlight Stylus Pro as a everyday work light in addition to my PD35.
    +1 to carrying a task light separate from your fighting light. I too have a Stylus Pro for menial light needs, and a Ten-Tap set to All TeH Lumens for social work, or a Surefire with All TeH Lumens all the time.

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    Klarus xt line has the best switch setup in my opinion. Ive been edc rocking the xt1a for at least five years with no problems yet. My wife has the xt2c which in my opinion is the best light for dual duty out there. Also have the xt11 which is my play/rifle light. Here is a video and they should show how the switch works. https://youtu.be/c3X4dM-4YUQ

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Klarus xt line has the best switch setup in my opinion. Ive been edc rocking the xt1a for at least five years with no problems yet. My wife has the xt2c which in my opinion is the best light for dual duty out there. Also have the xt11 which is my play/rifle light. Here is a video and they should show how the switch works. https://youtu.be/c3X4dM-4YUQ

I've had a 500 lumen Klarus with dual switches for a few years (since 500 lumens was a lot). It's never been a primary carry item, but I used it frequently around the house and the yard. It never had a problem, which led me to try my current Klarus. I'm still more comfortable with my Fenix UC35, but the Klarus has yet to disappoint me.

Top Bottom