• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Bullet trajectory, less bullet drop. A few examples in more traditional handgun calibers would be .41 mag, .44 mag, 10mm , .357 mag and Sig.

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    Bullet trajectory, less bullet drop. A few examples in more traditional handgun calibers would be .41 mag, .44 mag, 10mm , .357 mag and Sig.

Okay, so what are some of the more notorious calibers for having a greater bullet drop. This isn't a sarcastic post, I'm seriously interested. I'm new to the .40 S&W and am still learning this round, havn't got a ton of experience at a variety of distances. So I'm really wondering how much I may have to compensate say, from 3 to 25 yrds.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Nothing wrong at all with the calibers with much more bullet drop. The .45 acp ( slow and heavy) is a great round. Actually, I find for closer range target shooting, I find the .45 to be as accurate if not more than the calibers mentioned earlier. (At least for me ) As for compensating from 3 to 25 yards.... Well, honestly I wouldn't know. All would depend on many factors... Bullet weight, velocity, trigger control. Best way to find out would be to take it to a range and see first hand. At just 25 yards, might not show at all. Remember, the bullet leaves your barrel under recoil. So, this means the elevation of the muzzle is different depending on the velocity of your round. For years, I had this wrong. The slower the velocity, the higher the impact. ( bullet leaves barrel with muzzle higher)

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    seen a .38 special 2" hit a 12"sq. plate @ 200 yards shooyin' it upside with there pinky finger.....that proved to me any rd can be shot at long ranges...

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    seen a .38 special 2" hit a 12"sq. plate @ 200 yards shooyin' it upside with there pinky finger.....that proved to me any rd can be shot at long ranges...

Yes... And EVERY rounds starts to drop the instant it leaves the end of the barrel... Some just at a much faster rate than others.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Look at it like a football QB. Some rounds leave the barrel like Patyon manning throws the out route. Fast and flat. Some rounds leave the barrel like brett farve on the bomb pass with much arch. Both can get to the 50 yard line and the catch can be made.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Look at it like a football QB. Some rounds leave the barrel like Patyon manning throws the out route. Fast and flat. Some rounds leave the barrel like brett farve on the bomb pass with much arch. Both can get to the 50 yard line and the catch can be made.

Great point ! I remember back in the 80's, actually had a DI that tried to tell us that the bullet out of a M16 that was sighted in a battle site zero would rise and peak at 200 yards and would drop back in at 300 yds. :xmad:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Yes... And EVERY rounds starts to drop the instant it leaves the end of the barrel... Some just at a much faster rate than others.

Every round drops at the exact same rate. Some just travel farther than others before they hit the ground. Point in fact, a bullet fired from a gun perpendicular to the ground will hit the ground at the same instant a bullet that was dropped straight down from the same height as the barrel at the same instant.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Okay, so what are some of the more notorious calibers for having a greater bullet drop. This isn't a sarcastic post, I'm seriously interested. I'm new to the .40 S&W and am still learning this round, havn't got a ton of experience at a variety of distances. So I'm really wondering how much I may have to compensate say, from 3 to 25 yrds.

The slower the bullet and the lower the ballistic coefficient, the more it will drop at a given distance. Slow heavy bullets like a 250 grain .45acp (running around 780fps). The more cross sectional diameter a bullet has for the same aerodynamic shape, the faster it will decelerate so the greater the curve of the arc of its drop.

From 3-25 yards you won't notice much drop for the above bullet, maybe 5-6 inches and will be going about 760fps.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom