• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    If it went into the sea, what are the chances she went in whole? I mean, stayed intact following impact with the water?
    If it isn't at sea...I find it a little disturbing that it is this easy to lose a commercial jetliner over land in the 21st Century.

To the first, I find it very, very hard to imagine how something that big, that fragile, hitting the water at any sort of speed to go in whole. I don't think it's possible.

To the second, if the transponder was off civilian radars wouldn't be able to track it, that's my understanding at least.

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    To the first, I find it very, very hard to imagine how something that big, that fragile, hitting the water at any sort of speed to go in whole. I don't think it's possible.

After falling from FL350 to the ocean, that water would be like a 50 foot thick concrete wall. The plane would break apart.

To the second, if the transponder was off civilian radars wouldn't be able to track it, that's my understanding at least.

They wouldn't be able to identify it by the info programmed into the transponder. It would still show up on radar.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Angle of attack plays into it. It can go in a whole lot faster level than nose-first. Biggest risk is nose dropping below water line which causes the tail end to flip up and over. That said, I doubt it was "drivable" as it was going down.

too much redundancy in the flight communications to have that kind of complete failure without some sort of catastrophic, total devastation.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    Oh great, another forum I visit with a thread speculating what happened....by people for the most part that know nothing about airplanes and listen to news reports from people that know nothing.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I think you get a ring for a CDMA or GSM phone whether it's available or not, then it will go to voice mail. The old AMPS/TACS phones would come back with a message that the phone was not available. So, the phones "ringing" doesn't mean anything anymore. If the phones were live, they could be traced to the tower on which they were currently registered, and all this search area stuff would be nonsense. More than two towers, and you almost have GPS accuracy. I hope these searchers haven't failed to realize this.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Maybe someone here can test this.. If you have 2 cellphones, take out the battery of one of them. Then call the number and see it that cell phone with ring on your end. My wife and I both have iPhones, so I can not take the battery's out. I would like to know if it works.

personally I would think the phone will ring on our end. I know I have ran my battery dead before on a job, and when I got back to the hotel to charge it I had like 10 missed calls, and 5 messages. But I would still like someone to test it out.

I think you get a ring for a CDMA or GSM phone whether it's available or not, then it will go to voice mail. The old AMPS/TACS phones would come back with a message that the phone was not available. So, the phones "ringing" doesn't mean anything anymore. If the phones were live, they could be traced to the tower on which they were currently registered, and all this search area stuff would be nonsense. More than two towers, and you almost have GPS accuracy. I hope these searchers haven't failed to realize this.
    This is the key. If the phone was active on any tower, they would be able to trace it to that tower at least.

Domestic phones will go immediately to voicemail if powered off, in flight mode, or otherwise unavailable. Once they leave their native network, all bets are off on how they behave. One thing that is for sure, if the plane was at 35,000 feet over the ocean when the event happened, no one was making any calls. Even without the altitude in play, there are no cell towers in the ocean.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    4 8 15 16 23 42

That's my best guess - Desmond was too slow putting the numbers into the computer.

Seriously, as a professional pilot all the speculation about this just makes me shake my head.

Bomb or other in-flight breakup = HUGE debris field.
    Even if it hit the water at stupid high velocity and nose-down, there would be debris.
    Hijacking? You don't just 'hide' a Boeing 777 and 200+ occupants.
    Total loss of power? A Boeing 777 has amazing redundancy in this area...multiple generators per engine, in-flight APU, ship batteries, and a ram air turbine that deploys automatically and provides essential power.

The reports today that the airplane turned and flew west as a primary radar return (ie. transponder turned off) are very puzzling. If in fact true, that pretty much points to an intentional act...because even if you're *******s and elbows working a failure or emergency, you're not just gonna truck west a few hundred miles - you're gonna find someplace to land.

The whole thing is weird.

So until more information is found, I blame DHARMA.

or Bush.

Top Bottom