Flight Attendant has a gun in purse. Security officer accidently discharges it.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Homer-Simpson-Doh.jpg

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    At that time in order to fit a Glock into its plastic case, you had to pull the trigger back or it wouldn't go in. Presumably Glock did this to prevent people from keeping loaded guns in the case. When you pulled the trigger back to make it fit, they had a tendency to fire. The cops never did seem to understand that it was a bad idea.

I still have one of those cases.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Yep, she should be fired for exercising her rights as an American.

Now the guy who made the revolver go bang should be fired for negligence, gross stupidity, improper use of a firearm, dereliction of duty, and anything else they can find for someone who knowingly handles a firearm that he/she obviously doesn't know how to, and should not be handling.

critter592

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    North Central, IN
    First, I hope she doesn't get fired because it appears that this was a honest mistake, although I think that is a good possibility of what might happen. Hopefully she just gets a stern warning and a "don't let it happen again." I don't see how you can compare her forgetting a small lightweight gun in her purse with her ability to do her job well.

No, not all flight attendants, pilots, or whoever goes through security as many times a day as crew members do check things 3 times before going on a trip. If I where you, I would not make the assumption that it could not happen to you if you where in the same position as her because, as a crew member, going through security that often becomes commonplace. Heck maybe you are a crew member! If you are, I sure hope you would agree how you could forget an item that is so common to you that you could forget it while doing something that is so common in your life.

I'm not trying to make an excuse for her wrong, but as a crew member and someone who carries daily, I do have some sympathy for her. I do hope this is a reminder for anyone going through airport security to not become complacent.

This sort of thing happens 10-20 times PER WEEK in the USA. It just makes the news when it is a FA. I hope she doesn't get fired or jammed up with her license to carry.

And yes people SHOULD triple check what they're carry before presenting to the TSA checkpoint.

critter592

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    North Central, IN
    If the rules state that you can't carry a firearm, then don't. Based on those rules I agree that she should be fired. Same for the idiot who discharged the weapon, he's incompetent at best.

But I don't think it should be against the rules for flight attendants, pilots, anyone responsible for my safety to carry a weapon. I doubt there would be any hijacking attempts made if the hijackers knew there were guns on board and people trained to use them.

There are. Pilots. Air Marshals. Others. Who do carry on flights every day.

IndyClay

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Ok first, I doubt she was a terrorist...probably a hard working lady (who as a point of fact, had a PA version of a LTCH, which is stricter than here), she had to navigate the Philly ghetto area to get to work, and she was most likely well dressed and attractive. Honest mistake, gun should have been checked in luggage or shipped by airline.
    But, a most likely under-trained, fat, federal, TSA, agent saw this .38 S&W (quality self-defense snub) in her purse and overreacted. The TSA MENSA reps took the weapon into a seccondary room withe the "suspect" to unload the firearm...when the officer "accidentally" discharged a round. Here is one article from Philly...do your own google search for more:
    Flight Attendant's Gun Goes Off at Philly International Airport | NBC 10 Philadelphia

How any "officer" Fed, State, local, or Mayberry could not know how to safely undload a modern revolver is beyond me...
    -Clay

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    What ever happened to the day when people were disciplined and retrained for doing something wrong.
    Now it seems like someone's head must roll.
    Do you discipline your children by making them fall on their sword.
    All people learn to do is Cover Your A??.

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    Ok first, I doubt she was a terrorist...probably a hard working lady (who as a point of fact, had a PA version of a LTCH, which is stricter than here), she had to navigate the Philly ghetto area to get to work, and she was most likely well dressed and attractive. Honest mistake, gun should have been checked in luggage or shipped by airline.
    But, a most likely under-trained, fat, federal, TSA, agent saw this .38 S&W (quality self-defense snub) in her purse and overreacted. The TSA MENSA reps took the weapon into a seccondary room withe the "suspect" to unload the firearm...when the officer "accidentally" discharged a round. Here is one article from Philly...do your own google search for more:
    Flight Attendant's Gun Goes Off at Philly International Airport | NBC 10 Philadelphia

How any "officer" Fed, State, local, or Mayberry could not know how to safely undload a modern revolver is beyond me...
    -Clay

What the hell does her attractiveness and clothing choices have to do with it? If she was ugly and wearing a potato sack would feel differently? What about if the TSA agent was not fat but instead thin? Would law apply then? Since you view a .38 SW as a quality self-defense snub if she tried to get a high point through security would that then be a problem?

The law says one cannot bring a firearm through airport security, it doesn't have an exception based on hawtness, business suits, employment, the route you took to get there or BMI.

Finally I implore you to define to me how a TSA agent who caught an unauthorized person attempting to bring firearm into the cabin of an airliner which is specifically one of the things they are trained to look for as under-trained.

I do agree that it was possibly a mistake but in light of her employed position I think it's much more likely that "she" is under-trained in company policy, TSA regulations and situational awareness. Awareness that she was carrying a firearm and in a situation in which she was attempting to board an aircraft.

Last edited:

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    What the hell does her attractiveness and clothing choices have to do with it? If she was ugly and wearing a potato sack would feel differently? What about if the TSA agent was not fat but instead thin? Would law apply then? Since you view a .38 SW as a quality self-defense snub if she tried to get a high point through security would that then be a problem?

The law says one cannot bring a firearm through airport security, it doesn't have an exception based on hawtness, business suits, employment, the route you took to get there or BMI.

Finally I implore you to define to me how a TSA agent who caught an unauthorized person attempting to bring firearm into the cabin of an airliner which is specifically one of the things they are trained to look for as under-trained.

I do agree that it was possibly a mistake but in light of her employed position I think it's much more likely that "she" is under-trained in company policy, TSA regulations and situational awareness. Awareness that she was carrying a firearm and in a situation in which she was attempting to board an aircraft.

So you're basically in favor of the TSA witch hunt, groping and scanning passengers? How do you feel about police stop and frisk? I'm sure they do catch ill-intentioned folk.

If a person mistakenly carries a gun to a TSA checkpoint, with no criminal intent, should they be prosecuted to the extent of the law?

Is the purpose of the law to punish people, or to prevent terror incidents? If you want to punish people, regardless of their intent, so be it. Let's take the gloves off all law enforcement and start cracking down. Heck, we all want to be safe, after all...

When's the last time a flight crew member perpetrated a terrorist act? Do you really think she was a threat to the safety of the passengers and other crew members, and should now be a defendant in federal court?

Hope you never make a comparable mistake and find yourself in hot water. And have to depend on the common sense and mercy of your peers.

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    So you're basically in favor of the TSA witch hunt, groping and scanning passengers? How do you feel about police stop and frisk? I'm sure they do catch ill-intentioned folk.

If a person mistakenly carries a gun to a TSA checkpoint, with no criminal intent, should they be prosecuted to the extent of the law?

Is the purpose of the law to punish people, or to prevent terror incidents? If you want to punish people, regardless of their intent, so be it. Let's take the gloves off all law enforcement and start cracking down. Heck, we all want to be safe, after all...

When's the last time a flight crew member perpetrated a terrorist act? Do you really think she was a threat to the safety of the passengers and other crew members, and should now be a defendant in federal court?

Hope you never make a comparable mistake and find yourself in hot water. And have to depend on the common sense and mercy of your peers.

I am not sure you read my post, my issue is that

1: the person I quoted is basing their decision that attendant was innocent on attractiveness, clothing, physical features and their commute to work.

2: the TSA agent was fat and undertrained because they did the job they are paid to do.

Whether one agrees with the law or the result of it's violation, discrimination or profiling has no place in it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom