• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Ill try and keep this short and to the point.

Im installing laminate "wood" flooring this weekend. Any advice that you think might help a first timer would be very much appreciated. Anything to save a headache , best types of tools, things to avoid etc.

I'm also removing tile flooring. Looking for the easiest way to do this. I've watched videos and have seen a specific electric chisel tool being used to scrape the old tile/mortar. Is there a different attachment for removing the tile and for the mortar?

Any advice on where to rent or buy one? I'm assuming harbor freight would have something just making sure I know what I'm looking for.

thanks InGO!

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    Just a word of advice...we just installed a new wood floor in our kitchen. We looked at both laminate, and hardwood. All the laminate we looked at was really slippery. We decided to go wood. That being said, I am assuming it will be a floating floor. The surface must be smooth and level. Do not skimp on the underlayment...use a good quality product. Consider the temperature of your home when the work is done, and be sure to leave room around the edges for expansion. Take a look at all doors that swing into the room. Make sure they will clear after the floor is installed.

Nate715c

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    Speedway
    Pull bar and tapping block along with a small mallet or deadblow are useful for installing the laminate. Depending on quality some are easier to put together than others. I opted for some clearance $.69/ft laminate when I did 4 rooms in my house. Went together great at the store when I was trying it out but once I got started at home it was a pita. Helped a buddy put his better quality laminate and it was a breeze. Major thing is take your time, and don't force it together. Good luck!

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    A reciprocating saw with a scraper does wonders.

Hoping you you already have your laminate inside your home, needs 48-72 hours to acclimate to your home.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I put down a vinyl wood floor. Looks better than laminate, goes together easier, cuts easier (scissors), it's not succeptable to temperature or moisture, and holds up better... You can mop it!!!. At the time it was $1.00 cheaper than most cheap laminates. Now that it's shown to be awesome the price has gone up. If you haven't bought your floor yet, consider it.

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    A reciprocating saw with a scraper does wonders.

Hoping you you already have your laminate inside your home, needs 48-72 hours to acclimate to your home.

Really , a sawzall with a blade attachment would work? Seems like it would be a wild ride lol

ticktwrter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    I put one down in one room last year and still need to finish the last row which will be about 2 inches wide. The have to put the corner molding up. Make sure you bring he flooring into the house for a couple says so it acclimates to the temperature in the house.

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    It will be in the house for about 5 days before I start so no problems there. Thanks guys.

Any more ideas on the tile/mortar removal?

The Drifter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Cedar Lake
    Ok, I do this for a living . If your going to calk the edges use 100 percent clear silicon . Make sure you undercut door jams . if you find you have places where you just can not get the laminate to go together take off the bottom of the tongue so it slides into the grove ,glue it lightly with wood glue ,then tape the two pieces together with blue painters tape . Let it dry for 4 hours before removeing the tape . This may be necessary against walls or around door jambs . Old ceramic tile can be a real ***** to take out depending on whether it was done right . If done right it is on cement board ,and the cement board is glued to the floor with mortar and either nailed with 1 and 14 inch roofing nails or screwed . If its on 3/8 plywood or 1/4 inch plywood ,it will come up much easier [still no picnic ] Tools good 2 inch cold chisel hammer and pry bars big and small . Most vibrating tolls just do not work ,if it was installed properly . Get it smooth and clean ,pull all nails and or staples . Don,t skimp on your prep. of the floor. Good luck

The Drifter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Cedar Lake
    Where are you putting this floor ? kitchen , entry , Word of advice ,you are really taking a chance if in a kitchen . Laminate hates water ,a leak from sink or , dish washer or even your refrig. is death to laminate and or hardwood . I have done a lot of laminate floors in kitchens ,and ended up replacing them [at there cost,I warned them] .It looks good ,yes but it,s a crap shoot.Would love to help more if I can.

The Drifter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Cedar Lake
    Ok, your good to go ,i think your entry is ceramic ? any doors in that area jams will be to high . Short of getting new jams you will have to live with it . Filling the gap with calk could work but don,t know.

suzgsxr1300

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Noblesville
    Seems obvious, but don't do the cutting in the house unless you want to be cleaning up dust for the next year.

Make sure to stagger the seams.

Check each board for imperfections before using. If you discover a flaw after it's installed it's a PITA to work backwards to replace that board.

For the 3rd or 4th time in this thread...knee pads! The first time I laid flooring I did so without them. My knees hurt for a week.

Good luck!

The Drifter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Cedar Lake
    He,s going to get lots of dust taking up the ceramic to. You can put up plastic in doorways leading to kitchen and hallway, it will help but cold air returns will spread dust all over the house . Suzgxsr is right on every count. Put on your knee pads.

Top Bottom