• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chris783016

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    Im from the aweful state of Illinois and was wondering if open carry was ok in indiana with a Florida ccw? I do have a pennsylvania ltch, but I was wondering if the Florida was good enough? I have many friends with the Florida ccw wondering the same.

Also I know they say your supposed to carry the way that the issuing states laws are , so does that mean I cant carry in a bar because neither Florida or pennsylvania allow that?

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Any permit or license is recognized however, you must carry according to the terms of your license. For example if your license is for concealed carry only you must carry concealed. If your license allows OC or CC you may carry either way.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'm pretty sure have have to carry in the manner (open vs. concealed) that your permit describes, but then follow all other local laws.

If Florida and Pennsylvania are CCW (I'm not familiar with Penn.), then you must conceal.

Of course, I can't find this in writing anywhere.....

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Found it for you.
    IC 35-47-2-21
    Recognition of retail dealers' licenses and licenses to carry handguns issued by other states
    35-47-2-21 Sec. 21. (a) Retail dealers' licenses issued by other states or foreign countries will
    not be recognized in Indiana except for sales at wholesale.
    (b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized
    according to the terms thereof but
    only while the holders are not residents of Indiana.

fwacfred

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    MYRTLE BEACH
    Don't open carry if using your Florida permit. I believe Florida is a concealed carry state only. Pennsylvania's permit allows both. But then again I still haven't heard of anyone being charged for failing to carry according to their issuing states guidelines.

rcflyer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    There is a new bill coming up in March to allow open carry in Florida. Hopefully it will pass. But, as of today you can still only CC in Florida. I dont think you would get hassled if you OC'ed in Indiana, but probably not worth the chance.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    There is a new bill coming up in March to allow open carry in Florida. Hopefully it will pass. But, as of today you can still only CC in Florida. I dont think you would get hassled if you OC'ed in Indiana, but probably not worth the chance.

If passed, will they reissue the permits with the proper wording?

To the OP:

If the permit says "Concealed Carry" on it, then you must conceal while in Indiana.

Other than what your card says on it, you must follow all local Indiana laws... so you are fine carrying at a bar. Unless of course your card specifically states it is not valid in bars... which I doubt. Indiana's is the only one I know of that actually says anything like that (commercial aircraft).

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Just for the record, you can OC in PA without a LTCF/(H). So you can OC on your PA card.:rockwoot:

Just a clarification...

Since the PA license does not specify that it is for concealed, your statement is true.

HOWEVER, if the license was a license to carry concealed, you would NOT be able to OC in Indiana even though OC was legal in the issuing state. Some states allow OC, but you are required to get a permit to carry concealed. If one of those states issued a permit that specifically said it was for concealed carry, you would not be allowed to OC in Indiana.

Indiana doesn't care what your state's laws are... they only care what you have been licensed to do.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Indiana's "according to the terms thereof" clause has been debated on many forums for years, even including conflicting replies from ISP on the matter.

Absolutely nothing I've seen on the matter can claim to be conclusive until some case law gets produced. That doesn't seem likely to happen.

Just carry however you want to - or don't.

moischmoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Noble County, IN
    Indiana doesn't care what your state's laws are... they only care what you have been licensed to do.

This nicely sums up the consensus of the opinions you'll find here.
    If your license (permit) says "concealed", then you must carry concealed.
    If it says "open", then you must carry open.
    If it says neither, then you can carry either way.
    As far as where you can carry, follow Indiana laws.

Top Bottom