• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    I mailed my check on 7/29/2012 and recieved my re-newed Florida license today, 8/24/2012. Yes, it was a re-newal so maybe that takes less time. Also, the new one is good for 7 years as opposed to 5 years. Good on Florida!!!:rockwoot::rockwoot:

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I'm going to Florida next year for vacation. I just got off the phone and I was told that my Indiana license is valid in Florida as long as I am a resident of Indiana.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm going to Florida next year for vacation. I just got off the phone and I was told that my Indiana license is valid in Florida as long as I am a resident of Indiana.

Most people from Indiana who get a Florida CWP do so to carry in states other than Florida where the CWP is valid, but our Indiana LCH is not.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

True story. Your LTCH is recognized in 28 states including our own. Do be aware of the differences in the law, for example that Florida is conceal-only. No open carry and no "printing"... that is, if you lean sideways and your shirt pulls taut over your handgun, revealing its presence, you may draw some unwanted police attention. There may be other laws as well, pertaining to where you may or may not carry, i.e. banks, theaters, public gatherings. (The preceding are only examples. I don't know that they apply in Florida per se, but I know they exist some places.) I strongly suggest researching which ones DO apply in Florida; The last I checked, they do have laws making some carry of firearms unlawful in places where alcohol is sold to be consumed on-site. (Applebee's is OK, but not in the bar area) and carry at an athletic event not related to firearms is also unlawful.

Go and have fun. I don't post the above to take away from that, just to make sure that you have the suggestion to look around so you don't have your trip ruined by an unwanted legal encounter.

Blessings,
    Bill

Kaardomos

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Milltown, Indiana
    True story. Your LTCH is recognized in 28 states including our own. Do be aware of the differences in the law, for example that Florida is conceal-only. No open carry and no "printing"... that is, if you lean sideways and your shirt pulls taut over your handgun, revealing its presence, you may draw some unwanted police attention. There may be other laws as well, pertaining to where you may or may not carry, i.e. banks, theaters, public gatherings. (The preceding are only examples. I don't know that they apply in Florida per se, but I know they exist some places.) I strongly suggest researching which ones DO apply in Florida; The last I checked, they do have laws making some carry of firearms unlawful in places where alcohol is sold to be consumed on-site. (Applebee's is OK, but not in the bar area) and carry at an athletic event not related to firearms is also unlawful.

Go and have fun. I don't post the above to take away from that, just to make sure that you have the suggestion to look around so you don't have your trip ruined by an unwanted legal encounter.

Blessings,
    Bill

As of last year, Florida passed a law protecting CCers in the event of temporary inadvertent exposure. Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

790.053 Open carrying of weapons.—(1) Except as otherwise provided by law and in subsection (2), it is unlawful for any person to openly carry on or about his or her person any firearm or electric weapon or device. It is not a violation of this section for a person licensed to carry a concealed firearm as provided in s. 790.06(1), and who is lawfully carrying a firearm in a concealed manner, to briefly and openly display the firearm to the ordinary sight of another person, unless the firearm is intentionally displayed in an angry or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense.

Nsw550

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Zionsville
    I am moving to florida next month for a new job. I guess my Indiana lifetime permit will be invalid then since i'm won't be IN resident anymore?

atalon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    Indy
    Is there a good thread explaining the Florida License process for Indiana Residents? I was not able to find it in search but could be I am not looking for the right terms.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    What is the process for getting your FL licenses? Is it a pain?

Google the Florida Department Of Agriculture. Find the firearms licensing section. Fill out the form or call them and they will mail you the packet.

[You will need some type of proof of firearms training, i.e., DD214, NRA certificate, hunter education course, etc. You will also need a recent color passport photo.]

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    Google the Florida Department Of Agriculture. Find the firearms licensing section. Fill out the form or call them and they will mail you the packet.

[You will need some type of proof of firearms training, i.e., DD214, NRA certificate, hunter education course, etc. You will also need a recent color passport photo.]

Thanks for the info! I wonder if my tactical pistol training class by Deep Water Defense will work.

atalon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    Indy

I was looking at the cost schedule and only find an option for "Out of State Resident" not "Non-resident"
    http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/license/License_Fees.pdf

Sgt.Striker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    For anyone who is interested there is a great website that i refer to whenever i am traveling. it is usacarry.com this website will be able to tell you which states honor your permit from whatever state it was issued from and also let you know which states wont honor your permit. but dont think about taking anything stronger than mace to chicago you cant own a firearm there unless you are law enforcement. i always use this as an example for sheeple who say we need to outlaw firearms in this country. chicago outlawed firearm ownership outright and now they have the highest death by firearms rate in the country. no self respecting criminal buys his guns from a licensed dealer anyways so all they did was take away the average law abiding citizens ability to defend themselves

RB40

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2012
    I am moving to florida next month for a new job. I guess my Indiana lifetime permit will be invalid then since i'm won't be IN resident anymore?
    Don't toss your IN permit NSW. I moved away and now I'm back. So glad I kept my pink. Didn't have to hassle with getting a new one.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Don't toss your IN permit NSW. I moved away and now I'm back. So glad I kept my pink. Didn't have to hassle with getting a new one.

Did you check with the State Police to verify it is still valid? :dunno:

I have always been told that moving out of state nullifies your LTCH..

opus1776

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Did you check with the State Police to verify it is still valid? :dunno:

I have always been told that moving out of state nullifies your LTCH..

Yes, sort of....When one moves out of state you need to call and tell the police and they put your LCH in an "inactive" status. If one were to move back to IN, you call the police and have your LCH reactivated. :)

======================================
    "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" K. Moss
    You can NEVER be too rich or too thin.
    Life is not a journey, but a series of unplanned detours...
    Perfection: is not a goal---it's a demanded expectation.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Yes, sort of....When one moves out of state you need to call and tell the police and they put your LCH in an "inactive" status. If one were to move back to IN, you call the police and have your LCH reactivated. :)

======================================
    "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" K. Moss
    You can NEVER be too rich or too thin.
    Life is not a journey, but a series of unplanned detours...
    Perfection: is not a goal---it's a demanded expectation.

I did not know that! Thanks!

Top Bottom