• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    Not many churches have security, but some of the larger ones do. Especially if the pastor is "famous" because of a radio show or a book or something he/she has done. You'd be surprised the number of oddballs a church service attracts. We have had drunk people wander in during the service and walk right up to the pastor who is speaking on the stage. There have been a number of hate crimes in churches as well, including people coming in and shooting the minister.

Good point. I just had never heard of it prior to this. Again I don't have much exposure to churchs....not that I don't have a faith just don't attend a church.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I would think, that their god would protect them.

Lightning rods on roof, why would god strike his own house?

Perhaps God still allows nature to generate lightning through natural means more often than He hurls it down like Zeus as a punishment. :dunno:

There is plenty of support for the faithful to be prepared, but most of it has already been discussed in other threads.

Guardsman89

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Kokomo
    Is it just me or do churches lose credibility when they put lightning rods on the building and put security guards inside?

Yes, it's just you! :)

Being prepared is not a statement about God, it is a statement about people. Christians (in my case) who hire security guards still have faith in God, they just know there are a lot of nut jobs out there ready to burn their churches down, steal their offerings, and kill their pastors.

God never promised to protect us from every bad person or shelter us from every negative life event, but neither does God prohibit us from protecting ourselves, our property, and our families (in fact I believe he honors it).

So, no loss of credibility in my mind at all. Just smart. I think the loss of credibility would come if people said, "We're a church, we don't need lightning rods because God will never let lightening strike our building!" right after which lightening strikes and burns the building down! Now that would be stupid and stupid people, Christian or not, have never had much credibility!

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Called to be good stewards, Christians are

OpoQQ.jpg

But moving back on topic....

it is a terrible tragedy. Something that could be easily avoided.

As far as being more active about people keeping their guns put away, perhaps we should be more forward. if we see show and tell begning, perhaps we should shuffle over and politely ask them to put it away, and let them know how dangerous their activity is to every one around .

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    The young man that had asked to see the security guard's gun was engaged to the girl that died. What a terrible event for everyone involved.

Just seems too many still view there gun like its toy. If you carry, you have to be on your toes about safety 100% all the time. If not, please don't carry any time, value other peoples lives.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    As far as being more active about people keeping their guns put away, perhaps we should be more forward. if we see show and tell begning, perhaps we should shuffle over and politely ask them to put it away, and let them know how dangerous their activity is to every one around .

Spot on! May your tribe increase. :yesway:

Way too many people, including people on this forum posting on this thread, believe the problem is solved by obeying the major safe gun handling rules. That mindset implicitly endorses taking carry guns out of their holsters and doing first-grade "show and tell."

If you are carrying, be responsible and keep it in the holster. Do not handle it or pull it out, unless you are attacked by someone bent on inflicting serious bodily injury.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...Way too many people, including people on this forum posting on this thread, believe the problem is solved by obeying the major safe gun handling rules.

If the problem is people getting shot, then yes. :yesway:

If the problem is something else, such as excessive holster wear, carry on with your mantra.

That mindset implicitly endorses taking carry guns out of their holsters and doing first-grade "show and tell."...

I'm not implicitly endorsing anything at any grade level.

I also find it odd that you give "carry" guns their own mantra distinct from any other guns.

You're not implicitly endorsing the idea that some guns may be considered unloaded, are you? :eek:

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County
    Yes, it's just you! :)

Being prepared is not a statement about God, it is a statement about people. Christians (in my case) who hire security guards still have faith in God, they just know there are a lot of nut jobs out there ready to burn their churches down, steal their offerings, and kill their pastors.

God never promised to protect us from every bad person or shelter us from every negative life event, but neither does God prohibit us from protecting ourselves, our property, and our families (in fact I believe he honors it).

So, no loss of credibility in my mind at all. Just smart. I think the loss of credibility would come if people said, "We're a church, we don't need lightning rods because God will never let lightening strike our building!" right after which lightening strikes and burns the building down! Now that would be stupid and stupid people, Christian or not, have never had much credibility!

Could have not said it better myself.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    why do you need church security

The same reason you need grocery store security, air port security, ball park security or school security: because there are crazy people in this world who will chose to harm innocent or unaware people. The primary reason why someone chooses to carry is to be ready for those unexpected moments.

The painfully unfortunate outcome of something as simple as "show and tell" is that you place a weapon into the hands of someone inexperienced.

BTW...on the cover of the February 13, 2012 issue of Newsweek: "The War on Christians".

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    BTW...on the cover of the February 13, 2012 issue of Newsweek: "The War on Christians".

Are bemoaning the attacks on Christianity or celebrating it?

I haven't read Newsweek in so long, I'm assuming they're like the rest of the secular-fundamentalist, pop-culture, MSM.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    Are bemoaning the attacks on Christianity or celebrating it?

I haven't read Newsweek in so long, I'm assuming they're like the rest of the secular-fundamentalist, pop-culture, MSM.

The title of the article is: The Rise of Christophobia From one end of the Muslim world to the other, Christians are being murdered for their faith. By Ayaan Hirsi Ali.

~ I wasn't meaning that comment to turn into any political or faith based discussion (I am a Christian and have very strong faith based opinions but this isn't the right venue for that). I merely wanted to point out that sometimes having faith makes a person a target, no matter what faith they have.

Top Bottom