• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Completed some light reading on the people involved, seems like a bad mix of personalities came together.

Girlfriend has stated parking laws do not apply to her.

Dead Man had about 11 convections and 23 criminal charges several dropped on violent incidents and had drugs in his system.

Shooter had a problem with his self control with four road rage incidents some allegedly involved displaying a firearm and making threats to “blow his head off”.
    He evidently enjoyed arguing about handicapped parking spots.

So Yeah go looking for a fight and one day you will find one!

Killing a person over a parking spot argument does not fit in my reasonable person standards?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    C'mon Brad, we're only interested in either convicting or acquitting the guy based on the 60 second video. How dare you introduce other factors into the mix that can't be seen on the video.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    You appear to have a point that the deceased did'nt initially back off. The defendant was violently shoved to the ground and was in a vulnerable position and it appeared that the deceased started to advance toward him initially and his posture appeared like he was ready to dish out additional punishment.

IMO it is subjective what lead the defendant to feel the need to pull the trigger after the firearm was drawn based on not knowing what was said before and after the firearm was drawn as you pointed out.

Regardless of what happened it was a needless situation that escalated out of hand in which someone lost their life and the other is going to prison.

Gimme back, gimme back my bullets
    Oh, put 'em back...where they belong

*.*

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Completed some light reading on the people involved, seems like a bad mix of personalities came together.

Girlfriend has stated parking laws do not apply to her.

Dead Man had about 11 convections and 23 criminal charges several dropped on violent incidents and had drugs in his system.

Shooter had a problem with his self control with four road rage incidents some allegedly involved displaying a firearm and making threats to “blow his head off”.
    He evidently enjoyed arguing about handicapped parking spots.

So Yeah go looking for a fight and one day you will find one!

Killing a person over a parking spot argument does not fit in my reasonable person standards?

Many years ago I worked security and we had a contract with Scott's Grocery on the south side of town.

Every day a guy would come in who clearly had a stroke. He would get out of his car and slowly, ever so slowly, walk in and get a cup of coffee and something from the deli. He was white, bald on top of his head, medium height, paralyzed on one half of his body. He would use his good leg to step forward, one step at a time. Then lean on his cane and bring his bad leg following.

One day it was raining to beat hell. I mean cats & dogs. The guy came in that day, even though it was raining horribly. I'm just guessing but I think it meant something to him to be able to get out and have a routine and control over some part of his life when he could no longer control one side of his body. On this particular day he had to walk WAY across the parking lot because a bunch of selfish jackasses parked in the handicapped spots up front. Once the handicapped spots were all taken then the nearest spots after them were filled until he was left walking from out in the middle of the lot.

He walked so slowly. What any one of us could do in about 30 seconds would take him several minutes. When I saw him walking the whole way across the lot with the handicapped spaces full I immediately went to the store manager and asked to call the FWPD to give tickets to all those a******s that parked where they shouldn't. "They're customers," I was told, "we're not calling the police on them."

"He's a customer too," I answered, "he comes in every day and spends his money here." The manager just walked away. If I would have had a cell phone at the time I wouldn't have even asked.

The shooters mother apparently was handicapped. I wonder what he had to go through with her struggling to get to the store, grocery, pharmacy, etc. How many times would anyone here put up with self-centered dip***ts before it would be a breaking point?

I am not meaning to attack you on this, but I think you are echoing what some people may feel without fully appreciating the shooters mindset. I still get mad as heck when I remember that man walking in the pouring rain just to get his coffee. For the shooter to see his mother go through these sorts of things I can only imagine how frustrating it must be to see people so flip, so self-centered, that I get mad. When I see it now I DO call LE to give tickets. Now I have my phone and I do enjoy hopefully calling and getting some people to pay for their callous disregard of those less fortunate. I wish I did back then.

Regards,

Doug

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Many years ago I worked security and we had a contract with Scott's Grocery on the south side of town.

Every day a guy would come in who clearly had a stroke. He would get out of his car and slowly, ever so slowly, walk in and get a cup of coffee and something from the deli. He was white, bald on top of his head, medium height, paralyzed on one half of his body. He would use his good leg to step forward, one step at a time. Then lean on his cane and bring his bad leg following.

One day it was raining to beat hell. I mean cats & dogs. The guy came in that day, even though it was raining horribly. I'm just guessing but I think it meant something to him to be able to get out and have a routine and control over some part of his life when he could no longer control one side of his body. On this particular day he had to walk WAY across the parking lot because a bunch of selfish jackasses parked in the handicapped spots up front. Once the handicapped spots were all taken then the nearest spots after them were filled until he was left walking from out in the middle of the lot.

He walked so slowly. What any one of us could do in about 30 seconds would take him several minutes. When I saw him walking the whole way across the lot with the handicapped spaces full I immediately went to the store manager and asked to call the FWPD to give tickets to all those a******s that parked where they shouldn't. "They're customers," I was told, "we're not calling the police on them."

"He's a customer too," I answered, "he comes in every day and spends his money here." The manager just walked away. If I would have had a cell phone at the time I wouldn't have even asked.

The shooters mother apparently was handicapped. I wonder what he had to go through with her struggling to get to the store, grocery, pharmacy, etc. How many times would anyone here put up with self-centered dip***ts before it would be a breaking point?

I am not meaning to attack you on this, but I think you are echoing what some people may feel without fully appreciating the shooters mindset. I still get mad as heck when I remember that man walking in the pouring rain just to get his coffee. For the shooter to see his mother go through these sorts of things I can only imagine how frustrating it must be to see people so flip, so self-centered, that I get mad. When I see it now I DO call LE to give tickets. Now I have my phone and I do enjoy hopefully calling and getting some people to pay for their callous disregard of those less fortunate. I wish I did back then.

Regards,

Doug

Just an FYI, I'd been called a number of times to ticket people "illegally" parked in handicapped spaces. In most instances while they were in a space meant for handicapped people, the spaces weren't up to code, and could not be ticketed.

From IC 5-16-9-2:
    (e) The reserved space or spaces under this chapter must be
    reserved by posting immediately adjacent to and visible from the space or spaces a vertical sign measuring at least forty-eight (48) inches from the base of the sign, located in a manner that will not be obscured by a vehicle parked in the space, and bearing the following:
    (1) The international symbol of accessibility.
    (2) Letters and numbers that have a width to height ratio between 3:5 and 1:1 and a stroke width to height ratio between 1:5 and 1:10.
    (3) Characters and numbers that are sized according to the distance from which the characters and numbers are read, with the minimum height measured by an uppercase "X". Lowercase characters may be used.

(f) The characters and background of a sign required under subsection (e) must be eggshell, matte, or another nonglare finish. Characters and symbols used on a sign must contrast with the background color of the sign.

Just something to be aware of

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Just an FYI, I'd been called a number of times to ticket people "illegally" parked in handicapped spaces. In most instances while they were in a space meant for handicapped people, the spaces weren't up to code, and could not be ticketed.

From IC 5-16-9-2:

Just something to be aware of
    Am I interpreting that correctly? Spaces that only have the symbol painted on the ground and no sign don't meet the legal standard?

As for the story, I'm going to guess the shooter didn't keep his mouth shut and didn't hire an experienced attorney. All parties involved in the incident made poor decisions and won poor prizes. Except maybe the woman driving, she has likely made a killing.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Am I interpreting that correctly? Spaces that only have the symbol painted on the ground and no sign don't meet the legal standard?

As for the story, I'm going to guess the shooter didn't keep his mouth shut and didn't hire an experienced attorney. All parties involved in the incident made poor decisions and won poor prizes. Except maybe the woman driving, she has likely made a killing.

Correct. You have to have the signage listed in the code.

alabasterjar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Steuben County

Regards,

Doug

I get pulled into them as well, but this is the trouble with trying to armchair quarter back incidents, even those where video is available. Your account reminds me of the Michael Douglas movie "Falling Down", where we see a chain of events that take place and draw MD's character into the worst day of his life. On the one hand you feel sympathetic for him, but you also realize that at every downward step, he chose his response poorly.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    So other than real handicap spots I can still park in pregnant mommy spots?

If your pregnancy is so debilitating that you cannot walk then have your doctor get you a handicap placard. Otherwise the walk will be good training for chasing rug rats around. You had enough energy to get knocked up, you should be able to walk across the parking lot to get your groceries.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011

If your pregnancy is so debilitating that you cannot walk then have your doctor get you a handicap placard. Otherwise the walk will be good training for chasing rug rats around. You had enough energy to get knocked up, you should be able to walk across the parking lot to get your groceries.

Anybody can park in the pregnant mommy spots.
    If I'm allowed to "Identify" as a female. I sure as hell can identify as a pregnant one. :p

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Well yes, many handicapped, pregnancy, and even some stop signs work more with an honorable understanding, or ignorance, in mind, rather than force of law.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Not a lot twists me up in a parking lot more than some asshat taking a handicap spot to run in and grab his beer and smokes. I have exchanged words with a few of them. Especially at medical facility's.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    First responder in fam..........refuses to use parking spots allocated for their type of work.

Yeah I don't like non handicapped using spots set aside for those with such issues.
    But I really get substantially more PO'd when people stop in the ^%$# road to chat with somebody on the sidewalk, and don't even pull over, when there's friggin' parking spot avail.

Seems to be a culture thing with some folks.
    Culture of identity, not integrity............the world revolves around them.

Not.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    As for the OP..............with my screwed up back, pushing me down might really mess me up, if not immediate but temporary, then long term.
    So some azzhat shoves me I'm pretty much out of the game, only defense would be to blast him.

I watched the vid of the altrercation.

Think it was two stupid people, and the one that was the more stupid, got shot.
    Other guy gets 30 years for taking out the trash.
    Seems a bit harsh.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    As for the OP..............with my screwed up back, pushing me down might really mess me up, if not immediate but temporary, then long term.
    So some azzhat shoves me I'm pretty much out of the game, only defense would be to blast him.

I watched the vid of the altrercation.

Think it was two stupid people, and the one that was the more stupid, got shot.
    Other guy gets 30 years for taking out the trash.

Seems a bit harsh.

I think the shooter was the dumber of the two. The guy that got shot, as far as we know, made one bad decision and unfortunately it seems to caught up with him the first time. The shooter apparently was always approaching people parked in handicapped spots, so he was doing dumb things repeatedly; and now he's going to do a bit of time for it. If he gets 15+ years, then year he's definitely the dumber one.

Top Bottom