• ...and so much more!
  • dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I'm not really liking the title of the article. The flu shot is "effective". What a flu shot does is reduce the severity of the flu for strains in the vaccine, and some related strains.

It's not effective against unrelated strains, but that doesn't mean the vaccine isn't "working" in terms of stimulating the immune system. I know some folks here know that, but I think the general public gets the wrong idea from "ineffective".

It's always a crapshoot (ie educated guess, ie epidemiologic estimate) as to whether the strains that erupt each year can be identified when the flu vaccine is manufactured. Other than those that are required to have it, everybody just has to decide whether they are at high risk from the flu. And that is before you know what the morbidity or mortality rate of the flu might be this year.

I don't always get the flu vaccine, but it's not because I'm worried about side effects. I think there is medical and research evidence that natural immunity from the flu produces longer-term immunity. We saw this in the real world a few years ago when we had a strain that was making the news for its case mortality rate (sorry I forget the strain) but what was unusual was the elderly weren't particularly effected. This strain was related to a flu strain they had been exposed to when they were younger.

Having said that, I was flat on my back with a flu once for over a week when I was in my upper 30s. And I'll definitely get the flu vaccine when I am a bit older and/or if there is evidence of a more lethal strain.

I am certain of one thing: I do NOT want to be in a hospital if there is a more severe flu epidemic. With the resistant bacteria already present in those environments plus a bunch of sick people, I would be hard-pressed between staying home and taking my chances vs walking into that environment.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    My oldest son had to take his wife to the ER for the second time in a month for whatever is going around (vomiting/diarehea). She is getting extremely dehydrated. She was admitted, spent the night hooked up to IV. On top of that she is 7 weeks away from giving birth. Poor thing is miserable. ER doc was telling them that they are seeing patients returning 2 and 3 times for whatever this is.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    Sicker than a dog. Hard to breath. Coughing till I hurt my back and could not sleep. Not getting better. Steroids, cough syrup, and antibiotics..a couple of weeks..better now.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm not really liking the title of the article. The flu shot is "effective". What a flu shot does is reduce the severity of the flu for strains in the vaccine, and some related strains.

It's not effective against unrelated strains, but that doesn't mean the vaccine isn't "working" in terms of stimulating the immune system. I know some folks here know that, but I think the general public gets the wrong idea from "ineffective".

It's always a crapshoot (ie educated guess, ie epidemiologic estimate) as to whether the strains that erupt each year can be identified when the flu vaccine is manufactured. Other than those that are required to have it, everybody just has to decide whether they are at high risk from the flu. And that is before you know what the morbidity or mortality rate of the flu might be this year.

I don't always get the flu vaccine, but it's not because I'm worried about side effects. I think there is medical and research evidence that natural immunity from the flu produces longer-term immunity. We saw this in the real world a few years ago when we had a strain that was making the news for its case mortality rate (sorry I forget the strain) but what was unusual was the elderly weren't particularly effected. This strain was related to a flu strain they had been exposed to when they were younger.

Having said that, I was flat on my back with a flu once for over a week when I was in my upper 30s. And I'll definitely get the flu vaccine when I am a bit older and/or if there is evidence of a more lethal strain.

I am certain of one thing: I do NOT want to be in a hospital if there is a more severe flu epidemic. With the resistant bacteria already present in those environments plus a bunch of sick people, I would be hard-pressed between staying home and taking my chances vs walking into that environment.

Excellent points and well stated, as always.

mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke
    When i was in the service, we got shots on a regular basis (went to many countries). Did not seem to get sick during those 6 years. Then after getting out, got the flu a couple times and from then on, always get a flu shot.

I know many feel the flu shot is the work of satan, but consider Smallpox, Polio, Diphtheria, and other diseases that were undeniably brought under control by vaccines.

Do Vaccines Really Cause Autism?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C7lTt3EnlY

How do vaccines work?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb7TVW77ZCs

Last edited:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Anyone know what "10% effective" means?

in a good year it takes 85 adults to get the flu shot to stop one person from getting influenza. They don't consider this 15% effective

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    When i was in the service, we got shots on a regular basis (went to many countries). Did not seem to get sick during those 6 years. Then after getting out, got the flu a couple times and from then on, always get a flu shot.

I know many feel the flu shot is the work of satan, but consider Smallpox, Polio, Diphtheria, and other diseases that were undeniably brought under control by vaccines.

Do Vaccines Really Cause Autism?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C7lTt3EnlY

How do vaccines work?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb7TVW77ZCs

Actually i believe these diseases were getting themselves under control with the advent of running water. These diseases were trending downward long before the first vaccine. On a side note, my aunt got Polio. Guess how? You guessed it. Getting the polio vaccine. She lived the rest of her life crippled and in a wheelchair. I also know several people whom have had their lives turned upside down by vaccines. I for one avoid them like the plague. You have to 1, look at the crap in them. 2, ask yourself why the companies that make them are exempt from any wrongdoing, and 3, ask yourself why is there a tax payer funded court that settles suits for vaccine injuries. Me, I'll take my chances

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Means the current vaccine is only covering 10% of the active flu strains being seen this year.

but what does that mean for preventing flu? In a "good match" year you have to vaccinate about 70 adults to stop one of them from getting influenza. In a bad match year is it more like 300? 400? Who knows. At that point you'd think complications far outweigh any benefit

typically a flu shot has about a 1.3% chance of stopping you from getting influenza. If it's 20% as good a match as normal, I'm guessing now you're at 0.3% chance it stops you from getting the flu

Limited evidence for effectiveness of influenza vaccine in healthy adults | Cochrane Primary Care

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    but what does that mean for preventing flu? In a "good match" year you have to vaccinate about 70 adults to stop one of them from getting influenza. In a bad match year is it more like 300? 400? Who knows. At that point you'd think complications far outweigh any benefit

typically a flu shot has about a 1.3% chance of stopping you from getting influenza. If it's 20% as good a match as normal, I'm guessing now you're at 0.3% chance it stops you from getting the flu

Limited evidence for effectiveness of influenza vaccine in healthy adults | Cochrane Primary Care

I’m assuming you aren’t a fan of flu shots?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I’m assuming you aren’t a fan of flu shots?

I think it's ridiculous for healthy adults to get one. If you are not healthy especially with bad lungs, have a poor immune system, or are very young or very old, it's just not worth it IMO. Risks are not zero, and benefits are few. There is some protection against "influenza-like illnesses", basically colds and such. Studies have shown really no decrease in missed work with flu shot, no change in mortality, but lots of complications and cost.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I think it's ridiculous for healthy adults to get one. If you are not healthy especially with bad lungs, have a poor immune system, or are very young or very old, it's just not worth it IMO. Risks are not zero, and benefits are few. There is some protection against "influenza-like illnesses", basically colds and such. Studies have shown really no decrease in missed work with flu shot, no change in mortality, but lots of complications and cost.

Thanks doc!

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    I think it's ridiculous for healthy adults to get one. If you are not healthy especially with bad lungs, have a poor immune system, or are very young or very old, it's just not worth it IMO. Risks are not zero, and benefits are few. There is some protection against "influenza-like illnesses", basically colds and such. Studies have shown really no decrease in missed work with flu shot, no change in mortality, but lots of complications and cost

If you don't mind doc. What is your opinion of the shingles immunization.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

I think what's he's saying is that I'm a freakin' genius.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana

Thanks!

Top Bottom