• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I thought I would start it but anyone who wants to throw down in here should. I KNOW there are some fly freaks in here.

I will put some pics up later today. I was never much of a fly fisherman but I bought a rig back in 82-83 time frame. based on recent research my reel is a 1959 Pflueger 1495 and I have a pristine spare spool as well. Rod is a 1963 7'9" Wonderod, probably extra light action. I bought it because even back then I liked to use 7-7.5' Light rods. I would put a small spinning reel on it and have it around as an extra rig. I did some fly casting for Bluegills and Bass back then but we are talking 30 years without a single fly cast..................so I am starting at square 1.

I will put pics in here of my gear and the water I plan to learn on. It will be clear, shallow, rocky river for Smallmouth (Pike and Musky in here too). Also a small, 12 acre spring fed pond for trout and largemouth and stunted bluegill population. Bass were stocked to eat the gills, most are still under 1lb. I catch plenty of Smallies here between 16 and 22" on UL and Light gear. The Trout run 7 to 11 up to 13". Pike run small but can be 5-10lbs. Musky are as big as any get in WI. I have hooked and lost plenty of great Musky. Frankly, I consider myself to be an expert at it.

Most of the time I will just be wading a couple hundred yards up or down stream from the house or get out of my kayak and cast. I am eyeballing Frogg Toggs hip waders as a good compromise for price and value.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Brings ack memories. Been years since I've had a fly hook stuck in my scalp.

So is the why fly fisherman often wear hats?

Big hats that cover head and ears.

Yes. I've never managed to set a hook in my head, but I still wear the hat just incase. Baseball hats may be more your style, but your ears and either side of your head are unprotected that way.

I've seen kids set a hook in their dad's cheek and Rip it out with a good yank and others do that to themselves. No fun at all.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I guess you could consider me a freak. I sold all my spinning gear a while back, once I reunited with the fly rod. I make annual trips to Montana and the Keys, as well as Michigan multiple times, etc. If you need to know anything, I may be able to help.

As to your rod, I would wager that it's a 5/6 weight. There is a following of the old Pflueger reels, as it is a solid reel that will do what you ask. I would buy a 5 weight DT line or 6 weight WF line, string it up and start throwing loops.

Yes, I wear a baseball hat to keep the glare out of my eyes. I would also mash all the barbs on your flies so they will be easier to pull out if you stick yourself. You won't lose fish because your barb is smashed, plus it makes it easier to release (if that's your plan) the fish.

As for waders, I have Simms G3s. I have heard both good and bad about Frog Toggs, but I have no personal experience. My buddy has Redington Sonics and seems to like them. Check Sierra Trading Post, they have deals from time to time on waders and boots and fly gear as well.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I guess you could consider me a freak.
    Lets just say I knew you would show up in here. I am heading in town today so I am going to spool up the reel while at the local shop. I found a lot of info connected to a fiberglass fly rod web site and I think the rod is a 5/6 like you say.

The spare spool has old line on it so I may use it to practice in the yard if it will cast. Both spools have a single letter scratched into them so it would seem he used two weights or types. A bunch of ice broke loose yesterday while I was outside and piled up just up stream. Another day or two and that ice raft will be gone and take most of the ice by the house with it.

I think I may spend a bit more on the waders to start with as they will get used, I wade a lot anyway, even with my regular gear.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Just a thought to further add to your quest.

My StCroix rod had a catastrophic failure last year smack in the middle of bluegill harvest time. While fooling around with StCroix's "lifetime warranty" on the fix, I ordered a cheap rod from Amazon. I like the Okuma better.

I think I'll buy a new matching Okuma reel this year. Line recommendations?

Last edited:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I remember that incident with the St. Croix rod. If I ever end up on their payroll I will get you 2 free rods! Yeah, I like my 2 old glass rods and there seems to be a real following of them these days. I think people like the softer action and more flex sometimes. I own lots of gear but I remember hearing this back in 82 from an old guy from Montana: I would rather have a cheap rod with good line, then the other way around. Line is like tires on a car, its your connection to the fish.

And there goes some ice down river...................heading in town now!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...from an old guy from Montana: I would rather have a cheap rod with good line, then the other way around. Line is like tires on a car, its your connection to the fish...

Pretty sure I have Cortland 333 5W (yellow) on my old reel. Just wondering if I should try something different? I'm leaning towards orange, for better visual out near the tippet?

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Lets just say I knew you would show up in here...

I think I may spend a bit more on the waders to start with as they will get used, I wade a lot anyway, even with my regular gear.

Good choice. If you use them a lot, spend the money and "buy once, cry once."

My StCroix rod had a catastrophic failure last year smack in the middle of bluegill harvest time. While fooling around with StCroix's "lifetime warranty" on the fix, I ordered a cheap rod from Amazon. I like the Okuma better.

By quickly looking at the rod you posted, I would buy a line that is "true to weight." Some of the new lines (RIO Gold, Grand, etc.) are actually 1/2+ weight heavy, and made for the faster rods.

Pretty sure I have Cortland 333 5W (yellow) on my old reel. Just wondering if I should try something different? I'm leaning towards orange, for better visual out near the tippet?

I wouldn't worry about buying a new line, unless it is cracked, worn, not floating well, etc. and you have tried cleaning and dressing it. If you want orange, go for it, but some may argue that the bright colors will scare the fish...maybe if you're in a small stream fishing pressured trout, but for bass and bluegill you'll be fine.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...I wouldn't worry about buying a new line, unless it is cracked, worn, not floating well, etc. and you have tried cleaning and dressing it. If you want orange, go for it, but some may argue that the bright colors will scare the fish...maybe if you're in a small stream fishing pressured trout, but for bass and bluegill you'll be fine.

Thanks for the advice!

The old line is fine, other than it does start to sink at the tip after hours in the water. I assume this is just normal? I intend to set up the old rod with this older reel and line to use for backup/loaner.

I'm thinking of whether to try a different brand or configuration of line in orange color for the contemplated new reel to set up on the newer rod? Pretty much a panfish only rod.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Interesting difference in casting a fiberglass rod versus a graphite rod. I grew up using either a split bamboo or glass rod that are full parabolic flex. The action of loading those rods compared to the faster taper of modern rods takes some getting used too. I ended up with a pile of line in my face and at my feet until I learned the difference. The graphite rods seem to load with less movement and effort but I still seem to be able to place a fly more delicately with a split bamboo rod.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Thanks for the advice!

The old line is fine, other than it does start to sink at the tip after hours in the water. I assume this is just normal? I intend to set up the old rod with this older reel and line to use for backup/loaner.

I'm thinking of whether to try a different brand or configuration of line in orange color for the contemplated new reel to set up on the newer rod? Pretty much a panfish only rod.

No problem. If it starts to sink after a couple hours, you can try cleaning and dressing the line. You can also put flotant on it, and it should work a little better. Just be careful which flotant you use, as it could mess up a line. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it, if it's just a backup. Even if you break the new rod, you could just switch the new reel to the backup rod...

What is the length of your new rod? Some reviews say the 8'6" is soft (slow) while the 9'0" is firmer (med/fast). It's hard for me to suggest a line without casting it, but generally, slow rod = true to weight line, fast rod = heavier line (Gold, GPX, etc) possibly going "up" a line weight.

Your budget also plays into it. I've had pretty good success with Sierra Trading Post, getting an $80 line for ~$30, but I've also dropped $80 on a line...

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    If you ask me questions then we are both in trouble, I thought you knew this crap!

Yesterday I bought Cortland 333 6W Rocket Taper line and some Cortland 3X tippet. I also bought a small pad/line cleaner. Like PJ said, they told me after a couple hours I would notice the line may not strip off as easy or cast as easy when it did while new. Basically there may be crud on the line and they said its a good habit to clean the line at the end of the day.

Checked my notes I think line is technically a WF6F. weight forward 6 floating.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If you ask me questions then we are both in trouble, I thought you knew this crap!...

With all due respect to the true fly fishermen, I'm not one of them. It's a sophisticated stick and string to me. I want the quickest KISS I can get without having to study or figure. That is why I totally appreciate all the advise.

I picked up my 10 year old fly rod the year before last because I was on a mission to fish artificial baits for the bluegill harvest. My go to for 'gills forever has been crickets on UL spinning gear. The fly rod still cannot match live crickets, but I'm getting better.

The older I get the more of a prepper I become. Some of that is your fault Zoub! :@ya:
    I enjoy fishing, but success for me is fillets in the freezer. I need to be able to put them in there without a dependency on live bait.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010

Another vote for Okuma here. I picked up an SLV reel at Gander last year & really like it. I'm not a hardcore flyfisher, but it seems very nice for my needs. Smooth drag, nice large drag knob, and the reel is quiet. Taiwan product.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    With all due respect to the true fly fishermen, I'm not one of them. It's a sophisticated stick and string to me. I want the quickest KISS I can get without having to study or figure. That is why I totally appreciate all the advise.

I picked up my 10 year old fly rod the year before last because I was on a mission to fish artificial baits for the bluegill harvest. My go to for 'gills forever has been crickets on UL spinning gear. The fly rod still cannot match live crickets, but I'm getting better.

The older I get the more of a prepper I become. Some of that is your fault Zoub! :@ya:
    I enjoy fishing, but success for me is fillets in the freezer. I need to be able to put them in there without a dependency on live bait.
    Yeah, in the end this is about groceries. If it puts more of the trout in the pan it worked. As I said the other day at the place where I shop, I will probably cast more crankbaits then flys with this thing because I already catch trout on spinners AND worms with bobbers! (that sound you hear are fishing purists throwing up all over the place).

If I don't catch fish it will go upstairs on the wall as art. I honestly think it will put more trout in the bag then the spinners. There are times when the surface in the shallows is just popping with trout for an hour or two and Spinners only catch the larger more aggressive fish, and I never limit out of 5 on just spinners. I need to hang something there on the surface for a longer period of time.

I will also be going back to my casting bubble and sponge spider technique on spinning gear. When I first moved to Indiana and went through a period of WTF how do I catch Bass, this technique got me on the fish along the shore and in shallows and I caught bluegill as well.

Oddly enough last year a friend convinced me to try eating some of the smaller Smallies caught in the colder months.............I generally do not enjoy the taste of Bass............well these cold water river smallies are a bit firmer flesh and taste good enough fried. So I am thinking maybe spicey and grilled will taste good. I whipped up some garlic & pepper paste using my roasted garlic paste, oh yeah love it. I pured Chipotles, added some water and garlic paste. So I am targeting Smallies with the fly rod for that reason. I can catch 50-100 in a few hours on UL gear but I never keep any of them. I think with the fly rod I can work these grass beds along the river in shallow spots that are loaded with frogs and bass during low sun and night. These spots also tend to be one of the favorites for the Eagles but I never connect in them. This week as soon as the opposite river bank opened, an Eagle was on the "eagle tree" above the water watching that bank. Then 2 were in the area. When I go downstream hitting my favorite spots, an Eagle is often on every one but they also work the shallow grass beds I am describing and I never pull a single fish off any of them. Too shallow and fish spook easy, even from a kayak. Eagles dive bomb from a low branch. Drifting poppers with the current may work.

These flat grassy banks also tend to be found where every "official" trout stream joins the river. I will catch tons of bass, some walleye and pike (hook and lose Musky) but I never see a trout or hook a trout when I cast up those small streams. I get out and wade them even, nothing, yet they are designated trout streams.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom