Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Its the taking possession of the firearm that gets me. Wouldn't the hotel be taking possession?
    They are not to open the package, just hold it for you. The link I’ve given you comes straight from ATF, it’s on the up and up. I FedEx’d my 26 to myself in Florida, the hotel signed for it, and had it for me when they picked me up at the airport, I just had the hotel driver stop at the nearest gun shop, where I bought some rounds. I never fly with firearms anymore since losing one to TSA sticky fingers.

HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ammoland.com/2017/07/shipping-firearms-the-legal-brief/amp/

From the article:

As of right now, there is no way to ship a handgun to yourself out of state without violating the law or company policy of UPS or FedEx. And for those of you thinking about shipping a handgun to yourself by sending it to an FFL, think again. Unless you are able to prove residency in the state where that FFL is located, they will be unable to transfer the firearm to you. If you want to bring a handgun out of state, you’re either flying with it, driving, or possibly taking the train.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    I fly out of Midway and OHare several times a year and always take a handgun with me. I have had NO issues of any kind.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    This thread gives me the fantods.

1. Why the heck are you flying from ORD to DFW? There's at least four other closer airports with service to DFW.
    2. Why are you so scared of carrying an unloaded handgun locked in a case to ORD? It's the same gun laws as Indy, expect you can't carry it loaded in your holster up to the counter.*
    3. Why are you trying to come up with some bizarre handgun rental scheme in TX?
    4. If it's that big of a deal, leave your gun at home and just travel with a good flashlight. Dallas isn't that scary. Is this a couple of days or a week or two?

* Anyone try that? Carry an empty case to counter, then unholster, unload and lock in said case?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Okay, I'll change it to life is too short to do anything in Chicago. There are just too many issues unless you are an IL resident dealing with all the totalitarian state can give you already.

Agreed. It's a hell hole that offers nothing that interests me enough to tolerate being there.

Geez. IL is not that bad.

Yes, it is.

The min wage person at FedEx says I can't ship the gun to myself. That it would have to go through a FFL.

That is their company policy, not the law.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ammoland.com/2017/07/shipping-firearms-the-legal-brief/amp/

From the article:

As of right now, there is no way to ship a handgun to yourself out of state without violating the law or company policy of UPS or FedEx. And for those of you thinking about shipping a handgun to yourself by sending it to an FFL, think again. Unless you are able to prove residency in the state where that FFL is located, they will be unable to transfer the firearm to you. If you want to bring a handgun out of state, you’re either flying with it, driving, or possibly taking the train.

I'm not a lawyer, but the key here is that UPS and FedEx won't do it because of their policies. If they would do it, it would not be illegal to ship a handgun to yourself because it's not a transfer. The only other option considered is the USPS, but you can't ship a handgun through them (legally) unless you are an FFL.

If there are other shipping/courier companies (common carriers) who are willing to ship handguns, then that is the way to do it and stay within the law.

HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    Agreed. It's a hell hole that offers nothing that interests me enough to tolerate being there.

Yes, it is.

That is their company policy, not the law.

I'm not a lawyer, but the key here is that UPS and FedEx won't do it because of their policies. If they would do it, it would not be illegal to ship a handgun to yourself because it's not a transfer. The only other option considered is the USPS, but you can't ship a handgun through them (legally) unless you are an FFL.

If there are other shipping/courier companies (common carriers) who are willing to ship handguns, then that is the way to do it and stay within the law.

So what you're saying is "what they don't know won't hurt them...or me?"

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    Call the police at the airport or the Il State Police and ask them how to fly out of Chicago with a handgun legally.
    It couldn’t be labeled more clearly on the faa guidelines, calling someone who will likely spew there opinion rather than fact will just make it worse, it’s the exact same as flying out of indiana, Iowa, Texas or whatever state you want. This really isn’t hard

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    It couldn’t be labeled more clearly on the faa guidelines, calling someone who will likely spew there opinion rather than fact will just make it worse, it’s the exact same as flying out of indiana, Iowa, Texas or whatever state you want. This really isn’t hard
    Except for New York :):

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Opie stop making your life hard. You can easily fly this gun to wherever, check the TSA website for details. It's perfectly legal.

You can easily ship this gun to yourself wherever, check FedEx or UPS or DHL or Nitro Express or any other carrier websites for details. It's perfectly legal.

I've done both, I find it easier to go TSA. Easy as in super easy. Guns fly all the time, it's a non-issue.

Don't call the cops to get their opinion. Don't call FedEx to get their opinion. Go by the published laws and policies, follow them, all good.

And really, you planned to buy a gun in Texas as a resident of another state? I am worried about you carrying in Texas...please familiarize yourself with their carry laws - you must adhere to them, not Indiana's carry laws. Please take your LTCH, and maybe a few copies of your LTCH just to be on the safe side.

HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    Opie stop making your life hard. You can easily fly this gun to wherever, check the TSA website for details. It's perfectly legal.

You can easily ship this gun to yourself wherever, check FedEx or UPS or DHL or Nitro Express or any other carrier websites for details. It's perfectly legal.

I've done both, I find it easier to go TSA. Easy as in super easy. Guns fly all the time, it's a non-issue.

Don't call the cops to get their opinion. Don't call FedEx to get their opinion. Go by the published laws and policies, follow them, all good.

And really, you planned to buy a gun in Texas as a resident of another state? I am worried about you carrying in Texas...please familiarize yourself with their carry laws - you must adhere to them, not Indiana's carry laws. Please take your LTCH, and maybe a few copies of your LTCH just to be on the safe side.

That has been the most enlightening fact out of all of this: that I can't buy guns in other states.

I always check handgunlaws.us when traveling, but I had just never heard or thought about purchasing a gun in another state. Now I know.

No reason to be worried.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Correction, you can buy them, but you can't take possession in that other state.

Unless it's a long gun and you're buying from a dealer. (And only in surround state, right?)

Or, get an FFL03, and buy a CZ-82. ;)

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana

I understand the FAA end of it I meant to get his answers about the Il aspect of it (to ease his mind about traveling through or in Il) and yes I understand it isn't that hard but thanks for pointing it out.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    How long you going to be in Dallas? Sometimes you are just not going to be armed. I've travelled to CA a couple of times and didn't check any baggage so I couldn't bring my G19. Doesn't mean I don't travel. Love to travel and being unarmed doesn't mean I'm helpless. The world is too big to never see it because you cannot be without your pistol.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Except for New York :):
    And New Jersey! Come to think of it, all the states with New in their names suck! New York, New Jersey, New Illinois, New Chicago, New Massachusetts, and New California. (Most of New Mexico is excluded from “all”.)

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    And New Jersey! Come to think of it, all the states with New in their names suck! New York, New Jersey, New Illinois, New Chicago, New Massachusetts, and New California. (Most of New Mexico is excluded from “all”.)
    So many things to see in those states. It's a shame to miss them. NYC is one of my favorite places to visit. LA is pretty cool but I liked San Diego better. Loved USVI and the Bahamas. Looking to possibly head to China in 2 years to compete in the World Police and Fire Games. Finances preclude us from traveling more.

Top Bottom