• ...and so much more!
  • tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Was out this evening and one of my springer spaniel's had something tree'd . nothing too exciting but he and his brother start running from tree to tree. It's dark and I don't see anything. Walk up to the barn and see something fly from a tree into the light and glide up to a branch out of the light. It looked like a squirrel. When it landed on the branch it looked like it ran on up and I lost track of it. All I saw was brown and a light underneath..

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    My cats have caught three since we have lived here. The first two didn't survive. The third one I rescued and put back in a tree and then kept them away while it got its wits about itself and found a hole in the tree to hide in. We have a log home, and right after we moved in we had one landing on the side of the house and crawling out onto the screen of the bedroom window. We could pet its belly through the screen and then it would creep off of the screen onto the house again. It did that several times. The first time it landed on the screen, I had no idea what had just hit it. Very cool to see them.

They are protected so it is illegal to kill them or possess them. We had asked the DNR about getting one of the ones the cats got mounted and were told if we did, it had to be donated to an educational facility. We did not get in trouble for the cats actions. :)

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    My cats have killed a couple too. Neither were damaged.I think they died of shock.They are nocturnal.I've seen at night when it is windy.Their tails are like a feather.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    The last two my cats had were in the daytime. I think they must have found their sleeping spot in the tree or something. I found one of them under my kitchen table when one of them decided to bring it in and show off what it had. :bash:

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    sounds like cats are a problem with flying squirrels it is a good thing I don't have any.. going to go out and look for rocky tonight.. hope my granddaughters can see it someday. Thanks for the information.:D

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    ...We have a log home, and right after we moved in we had one landing on the side of the house and crawling out onto the screen of the bedroom window. ...

Years ago in Brown County I was on a scout camp-out in an old log cabin. For no discernible reason one of my fellow scouts decided to bang on the butt/end of one of the wall logs with the back of his hatchet, the flat part. From in between the logs out popped this squirrel, who then ran to the top of the cabin and bailed off into space. He spread his legs and we could clearly see the webbing between front and back legs. He glided to the base of the nearest tree, ran up to near the top, and bailed again, gliding to the bottom of another tree. Lather, rinse, repeat until he was out of sight. Was pretty cool. The original wing suit.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Years ago in Brown County I was on a scout camp-out in an old log cabin. For no discernible reason one of my fellow scouts decided to bang on the butt/end of one of the wall logs with the back of his hatchet, the flat part. From in between the logs out popped this squirrel, who then ran to the top of the cabin and bailed off into space. He spread his legs and we could clearly see the webbing between front and back legs. He glided to the base of the nearest tree, ran up to near the top, and bailed again, gliding to the bottom of another tree. Lather, rinse, repeat until he was out of sight. Was pretty cool. The original wing suit.

Apparently, they think our house is just a big tree! LOL!

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    We had one in the house a few years ago - might have come down the chimney and through the ash door.. The family thought it was a large mouse, and it ducked under the kitchen cabinets where the installers missed a baseboard. I turned off the lights and it came out for a second so I got a good look at it. Since it is nocturnal, I turned off the lights going to the front door, propped it open, and waited. After about 10 minutes it bolted past me and disappeared into the night.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    About 15 years back,we had a early thaw,and a big Oak in the yard had the grass showing through the snow.There was a Very big one trying to dig acorns.I chased it into the deeper snow and threw a sheet over it,and got it into a cage.I had always knew they were in the area,but had never saw one.Man,they got really big eyes.I let it go.5 years back,I dropped a Cherry tree in the yard. Out of the hollow came a momma,and a bunch of hairless babies.I picked up the babies,and put em in a box,and sat it in a crotch of another tree.Left for 10 minutes,and she had carried em all away.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Saw one a few seasons ago waiting for the duck draw at Grand Kankakee Marsh. Went from one tree to the next. Me and a few others barely caught it out of the corner of our eyes. Kept looking back for a few minutes, and sure enough it went to the next tree. No doubt then what we saw. Very small and quick. Really awesome as I didn't know they were around.

Top Bottom