• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Greenmonsta79

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Clay County, IN
    Hey guys I am sure it is some bogus rumor but I heard the FN five seven was supposedly going to be banned? I heard all the hype was surrounding the Ft. Hood killer because he used one on his rampage, Anyway just wanted to know if anyone had heard anything and also if anyone has one how do you like it?
    Thanks

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    It's been on the hit list of gun control advocates almost since it's debut. The ammunition available to the general public is not the body armor piercing stuff that the armed forces use. I think if there is another AWB, it'll probably be targeted. I doubt FNH will fight it either since they have incredibly lucrative supply contracts with the federal government.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    It's been on the hit list of gun control advocates almost since it's debut. The ammunition available to the general public is not the body armor piercing stuff that the armed forces use. I think if there is another AWB, it'll probably be targeted. I doubt FNH will fight it either since they have incredibly lucrative supply contracts with the federal government.

Sounds like Colt and how they rolled for AWB 1.

khangoc

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    people who own them should be banned. the round they use blow. If that shooter at the Ft. Hood shootings would've used a normal caliber i think he would've done tons more damage than he did. I'm glad he decided to pick up a FiveseveN and didnt do as much damage.

khangoc

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    khangoc, quit drinking the bong water, you obviously have no clue about the gun so why spout off something ignorant?

I'm sorry, I had to Real world 5.7x28mm performance - AR15.COM

Please, read and fully understand the gun before judging it and my knowledge. :drama:

As you can see, real world evidence from real world event. The round was a softpoint! If he'd used a softpoint from anything other than the 5.7x28mm he would've done a lot more harm than he did. Not downplaying the lives lost. Just stating the truth behind the round. If you wanted a defensive round, you're better off w/ something else... if you want a round to poke holes in paper you're better off w/ something else.

Last edited:

Walt_Jabsco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    people who own them should be banned. the round they use blow. If that shooter at the Ft. Hood shootings would've used a normal caliber i think he would've done tons more damage than he did. I'm glad he decided to pick up a FiveseveN and didnt do as much damage.

I'm sure nothing of the sort was meant, but this is a pretty offensive post. I don't really care how you feel about the 5.7 (although I agree with everyone else, you're clueless, as it is an excellent round, especially for submachine gun applications), but you're flippant attitude towards a mass shooting is entirely inappropriate. People saying things like this are what make people think all gun owners are sociopaths.

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    people who own them should be banned.

:dunno: too bad I've no say in who gets banned.

It's actually a fairly effective round, no noticeable recoile and darn accurate. It is the only handgun I can consistently shoot at 50 yards and have decent groupings

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    The comparison comes from a 5.7 from a pistol as opposed to a .22WMR from a rifle.

In other words, a Five-Seven pistol and a 10/22 Magnum rifle will produce around the same results.

Not apples to apples.

khangoc

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    I meant nothing flippant about the shooting. As I said, I do not want to degrade the seriousness of the event that happened. I'm jus merely showing how the weapon is ineffective.

Submachine gun w/ armor piercing rounds for mil... YES the round is effective. You have to understand the P90 was designed for that round specifically. The civie stuff even in a PS90 is just compromised and ineffective at what it's suppossed to do. They then adopt it into a handgun = more fail?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    you're clueless, as it is an excellent round, especially for submachine gun applications

:orly:

FN 5.7 x 28 mm

The current 31 gr SS-190 FMJ bullet has nearly adequate penetration, but the wound resulting from this projectile has a relatively small permanent crush cavity, as well as an insignificant temporary stretch cavity. Although the 5.7 x 28 mm penetrates soft body armor, wounding potential is at best like a .22 LR or .22 Magnum. Even 9mm NATO FMJ makes a larger wound--and we are all aware of the awe inspiring incapacitation potential of M882 ball from the M9......

A few large U.S. LE agencies adopted 5.7 mm weapons--after being involved in several OIS incidents with P90's, 5.7 mm usage in these agencies plummeted as a result of the poor terminal performance.

And for the OP - we've had several threads on the FN FiveseveN pistol in the not-too-distant past; might look there for opinions and reviews.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/75821-fn_5_7mm.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/70943-fn_five_seven_anybody_have_one.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/62409-anyone_have_a_fnh_five-seven.html

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Ah, man! Someone beat me to the Stargate: SG-1 reference, which is probably is the main reason the 5.7 is so popular among its devotees whether they know it or not.

Gosh darn it, it's just cool! :D

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Not adequate? Please don't ask the families of those killed at the fort if that round is not adequate. Dead is dead, and it seems that the 5.7x28 killed enough innocent people to get a lot of attention.

Don't you just love my ammo is better than your ammo threads???

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    .22LR and .25ACP have probably killed more people than any other round in America. That doesn't make them good choices for defensive use.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    The one thing that many people overlook, is hat the 5.7 x 28 uses a 223 caliber bullet. Those of us who reload this caliber have found that exceptional performance can be achieved with specific powders used with specific projectiles. Elite Ammunition has several alternatives also. Elite's new Trident projectile breaks apart upon soft tissue impact creating as many as 3 separate wound channels. Sure the SS197 factory ammo may be a little lame, but I will bet my life on the ammo I load in my FiveSeven any day of the week. I can get rifle like accuracy at a significant distance and 2800 FPS muzzle velocity out of a 5" barrel. That works for me.

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    I have heard that the five-seven was to be banned but I dont think it will happen yet. If they pass another assault weapon ban then I am sure it would be on the list. I shot a buddys and it was easy to be accurate but it was just not my cup of tea. I just dont see much advantage in the 5-7 other than very low recoil and higher standard capacity (but not by much) than other handguns but to each their own.

Top Bottom