• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JWAS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Dayton
    If 1230 fps & 134.4 ft/lbs of energy (pmr 30) vs 2009 fps & 358.57 fl/lbs of energy (fn57) is not enough difference for you, then thats fine.... I understand where you are coming from...I mean i traded my old fn57 off when ammo was hard to find (i did not reload at the time) and found something else that interested me for a trade. I do however wish i had it now.

I just always think it is funny when people think its pretty much the same thing when in reality the 5.7 has pretty much 3 times the amount of energy as the 22 magnum.

You are correct, AP ammo is not illegal... just not sold anymore... you can find it online for insane prices from collectors.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Depends on the design of the AP ammo:

Use of armor-piercing handgun ammunition prohibited -- Exception.

(a) As used in this section, "armor-piercing handgun ammunition" means a cartridge that:

(1) Can be fired in a handgun; and

(2) Will, upon firing, expel a projectile that has a metal core and an outer coating of plastic.

(b) A person who knowingly or intentionally:

(1) Manufactures;

(2) Possesses;

(3) Transfers possession of; or

(4) Offers to transfer possession of;

armor-piercing handgun ammunition commits a Class C felony.

(c) This section does not apply to nylon coated ammunition, plastic shot capsules, or ammunition designed to be used in rifles or shotguns.

(d) This section does not apply to a law enforcement officer who is acting in the course of the officer's official duties or to a person who manufactures or imports for sale or sells armor-piercing handgun ammunition to a law enforcement agency.

Burns Ind. Code Ann. § 35-47-5-11

nucone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkansas in the Ozarks
    And yet another internet myth is born - watch out 45 ACP fans, another death ray caliber exists!:rockwoot:

I chronographed commercially available 5.7x28 in the FsN last fall when working up some handloads. If interested, these were the average velocity results;

40gr SS197SR - 1662 fps
    40gr AE5728 - 1667 fps
    27gr SS195LF - 1977 fps

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    They will have to take away 9 mm guns then. The new liberty USM4 9mm will penetrate level III at 2000 FPS. Better buy that ammo before it becomes banned.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    And yet another internet myth is born - watch out 45 ACP fans, another death ray caliber exists!:rockwoot:

I chronographed commercially available 5.7x28 in the FsN last fall when working up some handloads. If interested, these were the average velocity results;

40gr SS197SR - 1662 fps
    40gr AE5728 - 1667 fps
    27gr SS195LF - 1977 fps

Thats UNPOSSIBLE !

Phone does not do purple.

Cole46845

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    I don't have statistics to back it up, but my pea sized brain tells me that the incidence of LEO's being killed with the FiveSeven are almost nonexistent when compared to all other weapons. The price of the firearm, the price of the ammo, and the relative inability to purchase any ammo for it, let alone AP make it a poor choice.

Haha your not kidding! I finally got my hands on a 5-7 after months of waiting then couldn't get ammo for another week! All the cartels must be in direct talks with FN for the guns and ammo!

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    40gr SS197SR - 1662 fps = 245 ft-lbs
    40gr AE5728 - 1667 fps = 247 ft-lbs
    27gr SS195LF - 1977 fps = 234 ft-lbs

22 mag 4.5 inch barrel.
    RWS 40 gr hp - 1650 fps = 242 ft-lbs
    that is the best results i have found. most are sitting around 150-200 ft-lbs of energy for the 22 mag.
    my opinion. get a 9mm. its way cheaper. lol.

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    NY Law Would Ban Cop-Killing Handguns

So I was reading this article, and a rather disturbing quote jumped out at me:

Am I incorrect in thinking thats a rather ridiculous claim? I didnt think the average (7.62 and under) rifle could even do that much damage at 200 [STRIKE]yards[/STRIKE] meters.

While I could possibly see the statement be true at handgun "real world" distances (under 50 feet), the 200 [STRIKE]yard[/STRIKE] meter claim seems a bit over the top.

Or am I just that clueless?

EDIT: Please note the premise of the question in red above before replying about close range effectiveness of any/all calibers... yes, a rifle can easily penetrate at close range. Duh. I dont care about that.

in the end, they probly got their info from wikipedia. its the first thing that pops up when you search 5.7 ballistics. it says level 3 kevlar at 200m with ap rounds out of a p90. does not mention ap rounds out of a pistol. but does say, fn states the effective range for the five seven pistol is 55 yards. take that for what its worth.

Top Bottom