• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    My question about the 5.7 has to do with the price. It seems like I see these going for 3x the amount that they were selling for a few years back. Am I just misremembering the pricing when they first came out, or have they really jumped like i'm thinking, and why?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    My question about the 5.7 has to do with the price. It seems like I see these going for 3x the amount that they were selling for a few years back. Am I just misremembering the pricing when they first came out, or have they really jumped like i'm thinking, and why?

The pistol has always been around $1000 plus or minus a little. Haven't looked in a while but I know FNH has raised prices on all their firearms lately.

Ammo was usually $800 per case of 2000 rounds, with sales every now and then dropping that to $725 or so. After the big panic ammo went over $1200 per 2K case but it is starting to show up again at around the $1000 mark for the std case (2000 rounds).

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    The pistol has always been around $1000 plus or minus a little. Haven't looked in a while but I know FNH has raised prices on all their firearms lately.

Ammo was usually $800 per case of 2000 rounds, with sales every now and then dropping that to $725 or so. After the big panic ammo went over $1200 per 2K case but it is starting to show up again at around the $1000 mark for the std case (2000 rounds).
    Ahh ok, that's a little higher than what I was thinking the original pricing was. I thought I remembered seeing them in the $750-$800 range a few years back. Then I got online and starting seeing some people posting them for up to $2500 at one point a few months ago. I know prices on pretty much everything went up, but I couldn't figure out what was causing such a large price increase on that gun in particular.

Texas-M4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2014
    Dallas
    5.7 Ammo is practically impossible to find in the Dallas, TX area. Also, some of gun ranges are not 5.7 friendly due their speed and high volume mags.

Shawno31b

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    Ill be getting one as soon as I find one in the right price range. FN only makes the dark eath 5.7 twice a year now so the prices are out of my price range. I found a dealer out of PA who has great law enforcement prices atlantictactical.com.. If any of you are first responders they have great prices on FN, S&W, and Glock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    A friend of mine has one. Fun to shoot. Civilian ammo seems to defeat most of the purpose on this, however. 1500-1700 fps is something attainable in HV 22lr ammo. The original selling point of these was that they held 20+ rounds and would penetrate body armor. Since you can't buy the original 2400 fps ammo, all that is left is the 20+ rounds thing. Is the fun factor worth the cost of the pistol and additional ammo cost? Not to me, but I pay exorbitant amounts for other, "fun factor" weapons, so I don't hold it against you if you do on this one. Meanwhile, I'll shoot my friend's once in a while.
    Jim

gvbcraig

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 10, 2009
    Southwest Fort Wayne
    5.7 ammo is available on gun broker, but you have to buy it bulk, my 5.7 shooting buddies and I just picked up 4,000 rounds for $2,000 that is $25 a box, with shipping, we split it up between 4 of us. That makes it a 1,000 rounds for $500.

themadmedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    I have one. I enjoy shooting it. It is accurate and has little recoil. It is fun on the range and my wife enjoys shooting it as well.

A lot of folks like to parrot the .22 MAG comparison, unfortunately. I don't feel under gunned if I carry it, but it won't replace my other regular carry options... I think the round is interesting and I wish the most available ammo for it wasn't intentionally neutered, but even with that said I think it is underestimated by many. Of course, at bad breath engagement range, it also serves as a flamethrower...

I haven't had trouble getting ammo, but then I don't buy a box per range trip-I keep some stock on hand, buying when I see it and if I feel I don't have enough for a few months of shooting-just like any other caliber I shoot and for the most part pricing was comparable to brass cased .45 ACP.

Perhaps the biggest issue, at least for me, in considering this pistol as a regular in the carry rotation is the placement of the safety. It is completely different than any others I have and those I practice with so it is an issue I have to think through when using this one.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Fun gun to shoot. It is used by Several Law Enforcement agencies and the secret service, it must have some redeeming qualities. The armor piercing ammo is much more expensive since it is very rare. This may be why secret service wanted it so if a person trying to harm the president was wearing a bullet resistant vest they might have a chance to penetrate it and shut them down, 20 round stock and 30 round available is a decent capacity. I don't know if the AP ammo is even legal in Indiana. Some laws specify AP is illegal in handgun round, but the caliber was designed as a paired rifle pistol combination so you could use the same ammo in both so I don't know if it would qualify or not. I believe AP 5.56 is legal since it is designed for a rifle, but now they have AR15 pistols too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_5.7×28mm

Sam7157

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Waynetown
    A friend has one. He let me shoot it. Low recoil and was able to hit an 8 inch plate at 80 yards. On my list of pistols to purchase.

Top Bottom