• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MJ06IU

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    Indy
    I am looking for a new pistol and am starstruck by the FN. It's a little pricey but seems interesting. Any positives or negatives about the gun itself or caliber? Will it hold it's value?? I say that and realize that new these are $1,100, but used I have seen them for $600-650. Is it a good investment is what I trying figure out.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    I own one, and I love to shoot it. You have to have deep pockets as ammo is a little pricey. It in not practical for a carry gun, but I have carried on occasion. Factory ammo tends to be lame, I load my own. It is fun to shoot, it looks cool, and I personally like mine, but it is not for everyone. I would recommend trying one out before dropping the big bucks. If you don't load your own ammo, you may want to consider cost and performance of factory ammo.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    if you ever see one for 600-650 you should probably buy it. used they usually sell for 800 plus. they are very fun guns to shoot and accurate. they can be ran out some good distance too. i say grab one and have fun.

Sigasaurus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    Plainfield
    Buy ammo bulk it's not to bad in larger quantities. If you can grab some of the outlawed rounds they shoot very well. I find the leo rds online and at shows all the time.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Let me know where you are finding these for $600!!!

That said, I have one and love it. Very little recoil and very accurate. Also the size is deceiving as it looks heavier than it is.

Ammo seems expensive until you compare it to current quality .223 or other ammo that seems "cheap". Midway runs specials on it fairly regularly which is where I pick it up by the 2000 round case.

MJ06IU

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    Indy
    Cabela's in Munster, IN had 2 around 30 days ago. When I returned they were gone. I call them every 2 weeks to see if they have received anymore.

MeatyBacchus

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Used for $600-650? Scam?

If they were at Cabela's, they must have been mismarked because most of what they have is overpriced, I doubt that price will be seen again.

A great article on the 5.7 round is here -

FN 5.7 x 28 mm - M4Carbine.net Forums

I'd pass on 5.7 anything, but then again I'm not collecting toys.

Last edited:

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    I own one, and I love to shoot it. You have to have deep pockets as ammo is a little pricey. It in not practical for a carry gun, but I have carried on occasion. Factory ammo tends to be lame, I load my own. It is fun to shoot, it looks cool, and I personally like mine, but it is not for everyone. I would recommend trying one out before dropping the big bucks. If you don't load your own ammo, you may want to consider cost and performance of factory ammo.

Why isn't it practical for carry?

MJ06IU

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    Indy
    Scam or not, Cabela's had them around $650. Maybe I'm wrong and it was $700 either way it was crazy cheep. They will hate me for this, but call them if you don't feel that I am being truthful. Ask them if they have any used and what price they were selling them for. I have no reason to lie. After-all, you guys are teaching me about the weapon and caliber. I have tried to find it online for even $700 range and have had no success, so I believe it when you say it was too good to be true and most likely a mistake. I am kicking myself!!

Happy Father's Day to the Dads!

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI

For me it is just a little too big. Even though the firearm it self is light, fully loaded it is relatively heavy. I don't usually open carry, and I have had no luck finding a holster that works for CC. Maybe someone else would carry it, but there are many other firearms that I would rather carry.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    its a bit highpowered for a carry gun and its a very small caliber it lacks stopping power plus the outlawed ammo would go through just about any personal body armor include are miltary sappi plates and scared us a little bit seeing some of the rebels armed with 5.7's and p90's. thats why police and the atf dont care much for that round there was talk of out lawing the caliber all together for a while.

ggglobert9

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Ft Wayne
    I own pistol and the rifle...I am curious about who was talking about outlawing the round? Is this verifiable...would be my luck! I am very happy with mine and do carry the pistol on a very regular basis in a fobus paddle and very comfortably...both very accurate and dependable. I also have a friend that's LEO...carries both in his "active shooter" set-up.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    I own pistol and the rifle...I am curious about who was talking about outlawing the round? Is this verifiable...would be my luck! I am very happy with mine and do carry the pistol on a very regular basis in a fobus paddle and very comfortably...both very accurate and dependable. I also have a friend that's LEO...carries both in his "active shooter" set-up.
    all they have done so far is outlaw the military type ammo the 5.7 ball (fmj) which is considered armor piercing and they dont allow armor piercing hand gun ammo so thats what makes it illegal as it stands now but at first there wasnt much in the line of ammo ball type was about it and it didnt look good for the handgun for a while

Last edited:

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    its a bit highpowered for a carry gun and its a very small caliber it lacks stopping power plus the outlawed ammo would go through just about any personal body armor include are miltary sappi plates and scared us a little bit seeing some of the rebels armed with 5.7's and p90's. thats why police and the atf dont care much for that round there was talk of out lawing the caliber all together for a while.

all they have done so far is outlaw the military type ammo the 5.7 ball (fmj) which is considered armor piercing and they dont allow armor piercing hand gun ammo so thats what makes it illegal as it stands now but at first there wasnt much in the line of ammo ball type was about it and it didnt look good for the handgun for a while

So it has no stopping power but will punch right through armor:rolleyes:

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    So it has no stopping power but will punch right through armor:rolleyes:

From M4Carbine.net:

"The current 31 gr SS-190 FMJ bullet has nearly adequate penetration, but the wound resulting from this projectile has a relatively small permanent crush cavity, as well as an insignificant temporary stretch cavity. Although the 5.7 x 28 mm penetrates soft body armor, wounding potential is at best like a .22 LR or .22 Magnum. Even 9mm NATO FMJ makes a larger wound"

So, an expensive large frame handgun that has few accessories such as holsters available, uses very hard to find ammo, which is available in only limited varieties, which is also expensive, and has the wounding potential of a .22LR.

No wonder they are so popular. How often do you get a chance to buy something which has NOTHING going for it?

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    From M4Carbine.net:

"The current 31 gr SS-190 FMJ bullet has nearly adequate penetration, but the wound resulting from this projectile has a relatively small permanent crush cavity, as well as an insignificant temporary stretch cavity. Although the 5.7 x 28 mm penetrates soft body armor, wounding potential is at best like a .22 LR or .22 Magnum. Even 9mm NATO FMJ makes a larger wound"

So, an expensive large frame handgun that has few accessories such as holsters available, uses very hard to find ammo, which is available in only limited varieties, which is also expensive, and has the wounding potential of a .22LR.

No wonder they are so popular. How often do you get a chance to buy something which has NOTHING going for it?

If there is anything left of your perp after 20 shots, let alone the first 3, maybe you shouldn't carry a gun at all :dunno::twocents:

Top Bottom