• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I've only found 1 source for mags and i'd never heard of them so i'm waiting to pick some up when they become available from a more reputable website. My 509 came with a 10% off of a raven concealment holster so i'll probably go that direction but being new there are zero options in the mass aftermarket.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    The 2 drawbacks to FN pistols is mag costs and holster availability. I know there are a ton of custom kydex shops, but very few off the shelf products available. Besides that, they are great pistols that more people should consider for their EDC needs.

The mag issue is not unique to FN, M&P mags are often over 40.00, Sigs are between 40-50 usually, HK again 40-50, even glocks at most stores are over 30.00 now, 43's are often 40.00.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    The mag issue is not unique to FN, M&P mags are often over 40.00, Sigs are between 40-50 usually, HK again 40-50, even glocks at most stores are over 30.00 now, 43's are often 40.00.
    Sig and HK for sure down here, their factory mags are stupid high. Big difference I see is the available mec gar mags for those that often offer higher capacity at half the price with the same great function. It's not a deal killer but if your somebody who likes to have plenty of mags it can get expensive.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I picked up a 509 from Highsmiths on Thursday and ran some rounds through it, it shoots nice, i'll take it out again on Monday. The trigger to me feels about like a stock glock, nothing special but not horrible. They are actually cut for Sig dovetails so there are a lot of sight options available and i'll probably get some Sig xrays for it (like the trijicon HD's). If you are looking to get a 509 they have a 3 free mag promotion that started July 1st.

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Just got back from Top Guns in Terre Haute (Great LGS) Talked to the FN rep. about the differences in the FNS9 and the 509. The barrel of the 509 is much thicker and has a more pronounced crown. With the added thickness it would be easy to have a threaded barrel for a suppressor. The FNS9 had a lower bore center, but it is several ounces lighter due to the slide and barrel. When I asked about the texture he informed me that the flattened pyramid shape is for the ability it has to assist in moving fluids (sweat, blood, mud, etcetera) from the hand and diverting them out (kind of like tire tread and water) for an improved grip. The guide spring is a dual spring on the 509. The 509 also has a longer and wider extractor claw for improved durability.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    I've got an FNS 9 long slide and a pile of mags. I would like to get the compact version some day. I have no desire for a 509.

The 509 is a perfect case study in the insane marketing of handguns. Basically, FN just pulled a Walther:
    The excellent Walther P99 has been providing shooters with an exceptionally reliable, exceptionally accurate, polymer pistol with an exceptional trigger since 1996 - But the gun remained unpopular even after the prices came down several years ago... two decades after introduction Walther added some front slide serrations and changed to a push button mag catch (which for some reason has NEVER been seen as an issue for H&K, but everyone bagged on Walther for using...) to create the PPQ - which is essentially the same gun, and now Walther is a YouTube darling ... With a 20 year old product.

Now here comes FN with their excellent FNS series of pistols ... Which nobody is really buying, even though all the interwebs pontificates their benefits. What can they do to boost sales? They simply change the grip texture, and enter the pistol in a military trial they already know they wont win; Jackpot. Now the 509 is the YouTube sweetheart, and everyone is STUNNED by how great it is.

AT LEAST the FNS/509 is a significant refinement of the original product. Gun culture memory is so short (at lest for being separated form our money) that most people probably think the FNS series is a novel striker fired adaptation of the hammer fired FNP/FNX line (it was certainly marketed as such) ... But shooters that have been concerned with non-generic handguns for more than 10 years may remember the FN Forty-Nine, a DAO striker fired poly pistol with strong family resemblance that was only produced from 2004 - 2008(ish) because it really wasn't that good (trigger pull weight was atrociously heavy and gritty from my own personal recollection, and it had a proprietary H&K style accessory rail). Much actual time and effort was put into improving the FN 49 before re-introducing it under a new name than was proffered by Walther in its re-marketing scheme.

BOTH pistol lines illustrate several revealing points about HOW and WHY we purchase handguns. Basically, functionality is the least of our concerns. We buy guns based on flash, and which models have the latest fad feature set. The ability of the gun to shoot well in most shooters hands is secondary. We are highly Xenophobic, and won't even TRY a feature or design element that is even a little foreign to us, no matter how functional it is or how much sense it makes. We value bells, whistles, and bobbles above all else, despite what people say on the internet. Our attention and dollars tell the manufacturers different than our online posts.

Last edited:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    There were noticable improvements from P99 to PPQ. I had/have both. The very curved trigger on the P99 would bite my finger. It was very uncomfortable for me to shoot. The flatter faced PPQ feels much better to me. The PPQ grip fits me better. My PPQ M1 had the paddle mag release (it's why I have not bought the PPQ Match). The trigger while better lost it's double strike capability and odd striker decocker. I see what you are getting at but...

bthomp9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    tipton
    I love my FNX 45. I do like the trigger on the x models which have a hammer better than the s models (stryker) I have not seen aftermarket trigger kits for the s or the new 509 yet, that would be make it more likely to purchase,

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Thread resurrection!!

Picked up a 509 Tactical to go along with my standard 509.

Finally got a chance to do some shooting last night with it and I'm very pleased with the results.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The first 10 rounds fired at 7 yards:
    attachment.php

The second 10 rounds:
    attachment.php

And a group photo:
    attachment.php

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Thread resurrection!!

Picked up a 509 Tactical to go along with my standard 509.

Finally got a chance to do some shooting last night with it and I'm very pleased with the results.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The first 10 rounds fired at 7 yards:
    attachment.php

The second 10 rounds:
    attachment.php

And a group photo:
    attachment.php

Very nice. I'd like to try a 509 sometime to see what I think.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Ran the 509 Tactical at 25yds today.
    Seated at a bench, frame of gun in a rest, hands otherwise unsupported.
    Targets are 3" diameter.
    I tend to shoot striker fired guns with this style of trigger high left, so no surprise there.
    I'm happy with the size/consistency of the groups.
    Further practice will yield better results.

attachment.php

Top Bottom