• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I picked up a FNP-45 today. I was going to buy a Tactical but two things held me up from buying it.

1) I'm not big on green guns. I think it's tacky and kind of wanna-be'ish. No slight to those who own them and like them, but when I see someone carrying a green handgun I think "noob". :) Right or wrong, I can't get past the perception. So I wouldn't carry the Tactical for that reason... among others.
    2) It's a monster. The standard FNP is substantially bigger than my XD45 and is on par with the Glock 21. It's really not an ideal carry gun given its size and weight fully loaded. The Tactical would only make thing worse with the high sights (impossible to get leather for) and the extended threaded barrel.

That's not to say I don't want a Tactical FNP 45. I do. But it will be more of a novelty gun. I wanted a FNP-45 that I could carry to replace my G21, so I really started looking hard at the regular FNP-45.

So, I bought it. :)

Here it is:
    866901613_mSp5B-L.jpg

Larger: http://www.intempusphotography.com/photos/866901613_mSp5B-X3.jpg

I ran 200 rounds through it after buying it to make sure things worked properly, and not only is it 100% reliable but it's a nice shooting pistol too boot.

What I like:

- Ergonomics: This puppy holds 15 rounds (that's right, 15) in a standard magazine with a slightly enlarged base plate. Even though it holds 15 rounds the grip is exceptionally comfortable. It's much more ergonomic than the G21SF I'm fond of.

- Controls: It has ambidextrous EVERYTHING. The magazine release, slide release and safety lever/decocker are all mirrored on either side of the pistol. I'm really impressed with the slide release. It's not some afterthought, it actually looks like it belongs there (see pic above) and is identical in appearance to the left side lever we're all used to.

- Quality: This thing screams quality. The slide is beautifully machined, nicely finished and all parts fit as they should. It's a very nicely built gun.

Some things I don't like:

- Size: I mean it's freaking huge. It pushes the envelope for a carry gun. If you're a small guy, forget about hiding it effectively. If you don't care if you print, this is the gun for you.

- Accessories: I bought mine with the shooters kit which includes a BladeTech holster and spare mag pouch. I scoured the 'net and holster options are VERY limited. No one makes leather for these pistols... well, almost no one. I did find out Kirkpatrick Leather makes custom leather for it, and I'm now on the 7 week waiting list for mine. Good luck getting so much as a spare magazine right now...

- Double Action: I'm not a fan of double action autos. I hate having two different trigger pulls, I'm a 1911/striker kind of guy. But to its credit, the FNP-45 can be carried cocked and locked. If I'll do that... I don't know yet. The double action pull quite frankly sucks. It's heavy and long. The single action release is pretty good, not great, but good.

So, now that I have this gun I'll consider the Tactical model. But I think my next purchase will be the FNP-45's little brother, the FNX 9mm. It has been revamped and now has all of the same features as the FNP-45. It's much smaller and lighter... which means a better carry gun. I'll probably have to get myself one of those before moving on to the Tactical.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I got it to the outdoor range today and shot 400 rounds through it. It ran perfectly. Being a 1911 guy and a striker gun guy, getting used to a double action auto again after years of avoiding them took some practice.

Here's a short video of me learning the ropes with my new pistol and getting some first shot double action practice in.

YouTube - FNP-45

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    8" plates (about the size of a chest) and I was 5 paces or about 5 yards when shooting from the hip. I was 7 yards when bringing the gun up to eye level.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    I picked up a FNP-45 today. I was going to buy a Tactical but two things held me up from buying it.

1) I'm not big on green guns. I think it's tacky and kind of wanna-be'ish. No slight to those who own them and like them, but when I see someone carrying a green handgun I think "noob". :) Right or wrong, I can't get past the perception. So I wouldn't carry the Tactical for that reason... among others.
    2) It's a monster. The standard FNP is substantially bigger than my XD45 and is on par with the Glock 21. It's really not an ideal carry gun given its size and weight fully loaded. The Tactical would only make thing worse with the high sights (impossible to get leather for) and the extended threaded barrel.

That's not to say I don't want a Tactical FNP 45. I do. But it will be more of a novelty gun. I wanted a FNP-45 that I could carry to replace my G21, so I really started looking hard at the regular FNP-45.

So, I bought it. :)

Here it is:
    866901613_mSp5B-L.jpg

Larger: http://www.intempusphotography.com/photos/866901613_mSp5B-X3.jpg

I ran 200 rounds through it after buying it to make sure things worked properly, and not only is it 100% reliable but it's a nice shooting pistol too boot.

What I like:

- Ergonomics: This puppy holds 15 rounds (that's right, 15) in a standard magazine with a slightly enlarged base plate. Even though it holds 15 rounds the grip is exceptionally comfortable. It's much more ergonomic than the G21SF I'm fond of.

- Controls: It has ambidextrous EVERYTHING. The magazine release, slide release and safety lever/decocker are all mirrored on either side of the pistol. I'm really impressed with the slide release. It's not some afterthought, it actually looks like it belongs there (see pic above) and is identical in appearance to the left side lever we're all used to.

- Quality: This thing screams quality. The slide is beautifully machined, nicely finished and all parts fit as they should. It's a very nicely built gun.

Some things I don't like:

- Size: I mean it's freaking huge. It pushes the envelope for a carry gun. If you're a small guy, forget about hiding it effectively. If you don't care if you print, this is the gun for you.

- Accessories: I bought mine with the shooters kit which includes a BladeTech holster and spare mag pouch. I scoured the 'net and holster options are VERY limited. No one makes leather for these pistols... well, almost no one. I did find out Kirkpatrick Leather makes custom leather for it, and I'm now on the 7 week waiting list for mine. Good luck getting so much as a spare magazine right now...

- Double Action: I'm not a fan of double action autos. I hate having two different trigger pulls, I'm a 1911/striker kind of guy. But to its credit, the FNP-45 can be carried cocked and locked. If I'll do that... I don't know yet. The double action pull quite frankly sucks. It's heavy and long. The single action release is pretty good, not great, but good.

So, now that I have this gun I'll consider the Tactical model. But I think my next purchase will be the FNP-45's little brother, the FNX 9mm. It has been revamped and now has all of the same features as the FNP-45. It's much smaller and lighter... which means a better carry gun. I'll probably have to get myself one of those before moving on to the Tactical.

man you should have looked here....don't know what you payed....bet this was less...

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/firearms/90634-fnh_fnp-45_a.html

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    FN's pistol are under rated. i have been a FNP-9 guy for some time now. I have always played with the idea of the 45, but never bit on it.. I did however snatch a FNX-9 up the first day i could get my hands on it... I love the Ambi. layout and they are just stupid accurate and reliable.. The holster thing is a bit of a snag, but my FN's are mostly in drop legs in my kit. We do have a few mags for the 45's in the shop. Couldn't recall the price on them off the top of my head..

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I took mine out last Thursday for the first time and the G21 is now resting peacefully in the safe. 1st 15 through P45 were off due to not being used to the trigger but but mag 3, they were nicely grouped at 25yds. Great gun and want a FN P9 next. I emailed FN today in regards to the shooters pack because I cannot find a supplier that has them in stock...any other ideas?

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    Skip the FNP-9 or 40 and get the FNX series.. The FNP 9/40 and 45 share little in common. The FNX series of 9/40 share just about everything in common with the FNP-45 but in a much smaller package

PX4 Storm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Kokomo
    I agree Jhared! I'm a lefty and love the totally ambi controls on both the FNX series and the FNP-45. In fact, the FNP-45 will be my next handgun purchase. Great pistol! I almost bought the 45 first, but wanted to replace a 9mm with another 9mm.

Skip the FNP-9 or 40 and get the FNX series.. The FNP 9/40 and 45 share little in common. The FNX series of 9/40 share just about everything in common with the FNP-45 but in a much smaller package

Top Bottom