• ...and so much more!
  • Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Had a defensive shooter at the range today. Very proud of his well thought out carry piece. This is what happened in the middle of the drill. Disclaimer…stock photo. He said the gun came with FO sights so he assumed they were great to carry on the street. Until they’re not. Solid steel for me with a dab of orange paint. IMG_2241.jpeg

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    It happens. Good news is you still have irons and they still work just fine.

Old thread where it happened to me in 2015, I didn't have any trouble still making decent hits.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I put a FO front sight on my S&W 625-8 JM that I shoot IDPA with most of the time. The state match a couple years ago I had a powder measure problem I did not realize until I got to the match. They were HOT but doable, Crono stage said 220 power factor, only needed 155.
    Second COF the FO busted but the iron sights were still fine. Hand hurt for at least a week. Jim.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I like how nice and bright the fiber optic sights are. Seen more than a few break. The nice thing is they aren’t hard to fix.

Right now I think all of my handguns are wearing metal sights and I do not have a problem with orange paint.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Like anything periodical inspection and replacement annually or so. They aren’t much more difficult than a bathery in a Red Dot

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    If anybody is concerned enough with pinpoint accuracy that that would stop them from making defensive hits "in the streetz", that same anybody wouldn't be using fiber anyway.

As it is, most modern pistola, in good hands, can almost be POINTED to the end of their legally-defensible leash.

A broken fiber? Congrats, you now have a cool new front peep sight!

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    ChurchMouse used to talk about things changing in the industry HVAC, guns and other things. When we compared FO builds on the 1911’s and CZ’s I played with the larger diameter filament.

I thought about this the other day. Our favorite place to meet was The Cracker Barrel 1/2 way between us at 465 and Michigan Rd. CM and I would trade thoughts on some of the Avatars in this group.

When my Grandsons 18th Birthday party was to be held there two weeks ago. Whoops, it is now KTown BBQ and Hot Pot.

While I am not changing to FO sights on any carry gun, I won’t say never as a Robot brought me my drinks.

See you on the range

Trapper

VostocK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    On one of my Glocks I have a set of TruGlo TFO sights that have fiber optics embedded in front of the tritium vials. They are pretty cool because the brightness of the sights adapt to the brightness of the environment you are in.

Anyway, I have always been worried about the little fiber optic rod popping out so I have been very careful of what cleaning solvents I've used near the sights. I wonder if some cleaning solvents are not breaking down the adhesives/epoxies that hold the fiber rods into place resulting in failures like this ?

DefenseInsight

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 18, 2024
    Greene County
    I suppose it is a question of...is the juice worth the squeeze.

I took a low light class and used both an FO gun and an iron sighted gun (Spaulding Ameriglo night sights).

I think my biggest takeaway was night sights aren't magic and as long as I had SOMETHING to see on the end of my gun, I could make hits just fine.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    You kids with your LOLs and BRBs and such.

Last time I was in "the street" and reached for my side arm... I yelled "FO" a couple of times and never had to clear leather.

My experience with fiber optic.
    In daylight, distracting.
    In darkness, irrelevant.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Well I read this thread a while back:rolleyes: and just LOL.
    Been using FO in competition for almost 15 years and never broke one.
    First USPSA match of the year and it was a 8 stage match and making ready on stage 7 the fiber was gone.
    What was I to do.:runaway:
    Well I shot the last two stages without the FO and guess what...... it didn't make any difference. Still got my hits and no reduction in speed.:cool:
    IMO if you have the fundamentals down you will do well no matter what sight you are looking at or using.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Well I read this thread a while back:rolleyes: and just LOL.
    Been using FO in competition for almost 15 years and never broke one.
    First USPSA match of the year and it was a 8 stage match and making ready on stage 7 the fiber was gone.
    What was I to do.:runaway:
    Well I shot the last two stages without the FO and guess what...... it didn't make any difference. Still got my hits and no reduction in speed.:cool:
    IMO if you have the fundamentals down you will do well no matter what sight you are looking at or using.
    I’m not so sure they are as fragile as the internet makes them. But proper inspections you sort of stay ahead of it if that’s a big concern.

That said yeah people vapor lock over silly things. I have seen a guy completely quit a bowling pin match because his rod broke. Some folks are like that.

Another guy just drove over an hour home because he forgot it was open night and several brought their optic handguns and he brought his iron gun (an iron shooter win it that night anyway but whatever)

Like the ones that complain a 1911 doesn’t have front step checkering. Guess gripping the gun tight with your hands is unacceptable answer!

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I’m not so sure they are as fragile as the internet makes them. But proper inspections you sort of stay ahead of it if that’s a big concern.

That said yeah people vapor lock over silly things. I have seen a guy completely quit a bowling pin match because his rod broke. Some folks are like that.

Another guy just drove over an hour home because he forgot it was open night and several brought their optic handguns and he brought his iron gun (an iron shooter win it that night anyway but whatever)

Like the ones that complain a 1911 doesn’t have front step checkering. Guess gripping the gun tight with your hands is unacceptable answer!
    Yep. Almost every day and always at a match, I see the tweaked guns go down. FO, CO, Iron sights, scopes etc all need maintenance. Of course, one has to be aware of their equipment. Before you holster is the time to go over any out of place equipment. Unfit slide stop, proper haptic response from safeties, intact sights, loose grips etc.

At the last revolver match, heard a lot of loud clicks and saw some cylinders fall out. Hmmmmm.

Oh yeah, at another match, I witnessed a trick holster falling to the ground with the gun in it.

Oh yeah, also moon clips hanging up and a case stuck under the extractor as well.

One can not tweak his way to championship without first mastering marksmanship. There are many that try.

Accessories, smithing etc. should be ability driven and maintained as your skill set improves from a bare bones gun.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Wasn’t tal
    Yep. Almost every day and always at a match, I see the tweaked guns go down. FO, CO, Iron sights, scopes etc all need maintenance. Of course, one has to be aware of their equipment. Before you holster is the time to go over any out of place equipment. Unfit slide stop, proper haptic response from safeties, intact sights, loose grips etc.

At the last revolver match, heard a lot of loud clicks and saw some cylinders fall out. Hmmmmm.

Oh yeah, at another match, I witnessed a trick holster falling to the ground with the gun in it.

Oh yeah, also moon clips hanging up and a case stuck under the extractor as well.

One can not tweak his way to championship without first mastering marksmanship. There are many that try.

Accessories, smithing etc. should be ability driven and maintained as your skill set improves from a bare bones gun.
    Wasn’t talking about all that but my Model 10 has never shifted zero or front sight broke

Attachments

• IMG_6295.jpeg
      IMG_6295.jpeg
      125.8 KB · Views: 5

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    The factory front site on the Springer came loose and I had Allen fix it. The FO on the carry gun has been fine through 500 or so rounds.

Top Bottom